Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

Spicy food..... What's the point? Adding an ingredient with no decernible flavour that causes a pain response.

Surely more flavourful food is preferably?

Finally, a man after my own heart. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Spicy food..... What's the point? Adding an ingredient with no decernible flavour that causes a pain response.

Surely more flavourful food is preferably?

I think this must come down to how different mouths have different reactions to food.  See supertasters as one example of how our gobs can be objectively different.

For me, spice or capsaicin opens up my tastebuds and enhances the flavour of everything else. Like a modified version of what salt does.  It's also wrong to say it has no discernible flavour. But then again that might come back to the fact your mouth doesn't like it and therefore blocks it out to some extent.  Different types of heat and spice (the heat) have a profound effect on the flavour of a dish for me. Even whether the same spicy ingredient is added fresh or dried has an effect.

It doesn't have a pain effect for me either.  I absolutely love spice,  but I do understand that some people don't get it and don't want to get it.  I'd love to somehow be able to eat food through someone else's gob just once to see why it is they don't get it, because I guarantee it would taste completely different. I think it's a shame because you're missing out, literally, on half a world of food.

A supertaster is a person who experiences the sense of taste with far greater intensity than average, with some studies showing an increased sensitivity to bitter tastes. It may be a cause of selective eating.

• Like 4

I love the taste of hot and spicy food too and wondered if I am a super taster.  Sometimes I eat something and my taste buds go mental for a second or two, almost painful in a way.  I don't know if that is just something that happens to everyone though.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

It doesn't have a pain effect for me either.  I absolutely love spice,  but I do understand that some people don't get it and don't want to get it.

If i have a curry that is hotter than a Tikka , then it results in steam coming out my ears and sweat pouring down my forehead  

But in regard to taste  , I can't see why anyone would really enjoy something so hot that it burns their lips and throat

I'm sure I've told this one before but when I was pissed up  in Soeul , the restaurant I was in had spare ribs from my second favourite animal  behind pork Knuckles  .. On the menu next to the picture of the ribs it had the word hot  and above it a picture of the sun wearing a hat and sun glasses and smiling.

Clearly something in the beer fuddled my brain , as for reasons still to be determined , i viewed this icon as , "they are popular , get them while they are hot " ..so I ordered them 

first bite and my lips went numb , my eyes watered and my throat burnt   ... being drunk , and loving ribs , I kinda scraped as much of the spice off them as  I could and continued to eat them  , with the aid of a lot of serviettes to wipe the sweat away from my face .

I'd like to say the story ended there , but what goes in , must come out , and the next day I was deep deep deep into Johnny Cash territory  ... talking about burning

So , anyway .. Spicy food is a No from me

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I love the taste of hot and spicy food too and wondered if I am a super taster.  Sometimes I eat something and my taste buds go mental for a second or two, almost painful in a way.  I don't know if that is just something that happens to everyone though.

I've actually wondered the opposite. Of course it sounds cool to be a supertaster, but I wonder if my ability to tolerate insane levels of heat could mean I'm actually at the opposite end of the scale.  A supertaster would be hyper-sensitive to everything, and hence why they're known to be very picky eaters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm sure I've told this one before but when I was pissed up  in Soeul , the restaurant I was in had spare ribs from my second favourite animal  behind pork Knuckles  .. On the menu next to the picture of the ribs it had the word hot  and above it a picture of the sun wearing a hat and sun glasses and smiling.

Clearly something in the beer fuddled my brain , as for reasons still to be determined , i viewed this icon as , "they are popular , get them while they are hot " ..so I ordered them 

first bite and my lips went numb , my eyes watered and my throat burnt   ... being drunk , and loving ribs , I kinda scraped as much of the spice off them as  I could and continued to eat them  , with the aid of a lot of serviettes to wipe the sweat away from my face .

I'd like to say the story ended there , but what goes in , must come out , and the next day I was deep deep deep into Johnny Cash territory  ... talking about burning

So , anyway .. Spicy food is a No from me

Here's my tale from Embra.

On 28/01/2020 at 12:08, BOF said:

Well they measure it with the Scoville scale.  I did an Indian one in Edinburgh.  The Kismot Killer (restaurant is Kismot).  At the time I thought it was just another 'hot food challenge' the likes of which I had done with consummate ease multiple times in my life.  I really like properly hot food and I regularly did heat challenges and had never been bested.

It wasn't until afterwards I realised it was regarded as one of the top 5 hottest meals in the UK with the sauce at around 4 million scovillle (concentrated capsaican so it's not naturally occurring).  The other hottest meals being various types of chilli or wings etc etc in other parts of the UK.

I basically wanted to see if there was a meal out there that I couldn't eat, because I was beginning to think there wasn't.

The waitress actually pleaded with me not to do it because "you seem like nice people and this will ruin your evening.  You're not going to a pub or club after this.  You're going home".

I said "nah it's OK I do this all the time.  I'll be fine".

Well she brought it down, and she kept coming down through the meal to see how I was doing, and she was amazed I was getting through it.

This is how hot it was - you were allowed to drink as much milk as you wanted with it.  That's usually a massive cheat, because a protein in milk breaks down capsaican.  But this was so **** hot, they let you drink milk.

A table of 14 people behind me had also ordered a Killer between the lot of them, along with their regular meals, just to see what it was like, and they couldn't get through it between them all.  But I was ploughing on.

In the end I did it.  I finished the meal and I got my Kismot Killer certificate.

But she was right, it **** ruined my evening, we went straight home and I would not do it again.

Initially I figured if I was going to have a problem it would be the heat in the mouth.  But that was easy.  No problem.

Nope, the problem was something I had never experienced before and have not experienced since.  At that level of heat, the problem was the lining of my stomach.  Once the food goes down into your stomach, it just sits there and tries to eat its way down through your insides.  Take the shortest route out of you.  And there is nothing you can do to stop it.  You certainly can't vomit it back up, because anyone who has ever vomited spicy food will tell you it is ten times hotter coming back the other direction and you could go into shock with the heat, and choke if it affects your breathing.  All I could do was move the angle I was sitting at, so that the food was burning a slightly different part of my insides each time.  And once that got unbearable I'd move to the other side and let it burn that bit instead.  And drink milk and try to dilute it while burning little bits of my insides.  It was incredibly uncomfortable.

Suffice to say I sat up all night facilitating its evacuation at its earliest convenience no matter how small each reward was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I love mega spicy curries. Daft as it sounds, I find then exhilarating. I'm on a high after i've had it. 

I have that as well,  I really look forward to it also so I space it out through the year 👍

Me and the Mrs. spoke about the lockdown and Indian food last week,  when the Indian we like is open and we have vaccine and everything is back,  that's the 1st restaurant we are going to.

(Memories of India,  Amsterdam)

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 11:08, Mark Albrighton said:

Ok, “bad moon rising”, “fortunate son”and “have you ever seen the rain” makes three I recognise and like. 

CCR wrote Proud Mary too. Which most people know as a Tina Turner song. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I love mega spicy curries. Daft as it sounds, I find then exhilarating. I'm on a high after i've had it. 

Same. I think I’m now addicted to the endorphin rush that comes as your brain  tries to numb the sense of pain from the heat of the chillis. I’ve given up all the drugs and drink, so it seems I’m now getting high on hot chillies instead. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

They’re just an shit American version of our classic Bourbon biscuit. They’re really not all that. 

I would agree with that..   And I don't like Bourbon biscuits. 

Why the frick would you have one of them when you can have a custard cream? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oreos.  What a disgusting piece of shit those are. 

Really hard to separate the biscuit from the filling - this makes them shit

The biscuit part tastes like charcoal with added sugar - this makes them shitter

The filling tastes like what I imagine a sock worn for a week tastes like with added sugar - this makes them shitter than shit

• Like 2

Â