Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

The good bits of red dwarf still hold up for me. The newer stuff isn’t great, although can’t say I’ve kept up with it fully. When you don’t have half the creative team it’s going to suffer. 

And while the narrative isn’t the most important thing, it is nice if there’s some attempt to tie things together. Did they ever explain the two sons Lister was meant to have? The Rimmer that’s in the new ones...is he the original hologram Rimmer or is he the Rimmer that was resurrected with the rest of the red dwarf crew? If it’s the former, well what happened to his stint as Ace Rimmer? If it’s the latter, what - he died again? Was that explained?

And where the hell did the lovely Chloe Annett go to? 

Still, a great theme tune anyway.

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Fabric Conditioner. 

WTAF is that, it has no business existing. 

I do mean generally but especially on towels. 

Towels should not be soft, towels should be rough. 

Towels with fabric conditioner in them don't actually function as towels anymore.  They don't absorb any moisture, it's like trying to dry yourself with a sheet of plastic. It just moves the water around your body. 

It only exists because large chemical companies created it and ran extensive advertising campaigns convincing mothers that they need to hold towels up to their cheeks and feel how soft a towel is otherwise they are a bad mother. 

At best people are just wasting money on something they totally don't need which ruins the thing they want it for. 

At worst it's pumping millions of gallons of completely unnecessary and lord knows what chemicals into the water system, that's without even thinking about the Co2 generated in their manufacture and transport and plastic containers to store it in. 

Fabric Conditioner can flick right off and when it gets there flick off some more. 

Towels should be rough. I detest a soft towel, as you said it just moves around the water on your body.

However, I am fan of softener. It stops me smelling like arse for a lot longer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The Smiths.

Just watching them on BBC 4 from the late 80's...jangly guitar and a shit vocalist.

Why were they so popular???

Don't get me started. 

• Like 1

I could happily (well, you know what I mean) listen to their greatest hits. I think I have all their albums, but I don’t listen to them. 

I’ve always felt that Morrissey seems to have maintained a reasonably consistent presence in the public consciousness  considering that (in my opinion) the public at large would struggle to name much if any of his solo stuff. If asked for a song of his I’d wager the response would more often than not be a warbled “I would go out toniiiiiiiiiiiight......”. 

And by public consciousness I mean like my 71 year old dad for instance knows who he is (and knows that he doesn’t like him). But he probably doesn’t know or have any opinion on say, Ian Brown, for example.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Smiths.

Just watching them on BBC 4 from the late 80's...jangly guitar and a shit vocalist.

Why were they so popular???

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Don't get me started. 

(Apologies, this may turn into an essay)

It was the Eighties, we'd come out of the punk revolution and New Wave / Post Punk was becoming mainstream. The "Alternative" scene was now mainstream. We'd had the revolution, we'd had the experimentation and then all those things combined with pop sensibility. The Smiths were just one of those bands that made fantastic pop songs, with intelligently different lyrics. The Smiths were just one of many bands that did this,

Back then, Morrissey was new and fresh, his vocal delivery was somewhat unique and the lyrics were very different to the pop songs that went before the punk revolution. Pops songs with words that meant something. Not just Morrisey but many of those bands spoke to and for a generation of kids. The subject matter was never normal. Yes, Morrissey became an utter arse but back then, he was just different (and not quite the dimwitted fascist he became)

The combo of his lyrics and Marr's jangly pop sensibilities were a revelation to the youth of the day (myself included) and they were amongst some fine competition.

Only today I was thinking about a couple of their contemoraries. First thought was when Aztec Camera's Oblivious came on the radio, forged in that Scottish Postcard Records foundary of jangly pop but their first album and their chart success happened when they jumped to a major label. High Land, Hard Rain and it's opener Oblivious whose opening verse kind of sums it all up... (An absolute belter of an album)

From the mountain tops down to the sunny street
A different drum is playing a different kind of beat
It's like a mystery that never ends
I see you crying and I want to kill your friends

Thats what it was all about!

Then also today Sound of the Crowd by the Human League came on, musically it's just so mad, on the one hand its at the start of the Jo Callis second generation of that band, mainstream Synth-Pop as we'd call it now (and probably even then) but an awful lot of what's going on is a direct product of the first generation of the band which was far more experimental. It's not what you'd call traditional pop music, it's quite out there but this became so normal it seemed it was playing everywhere.

I'm rambling and I know the pair of you won't agree but that decade of music is the most creative, diverse and intelligent the charts ever were. Musical Revoution and DIY Experimentalism (and new technology) fused with pop sensibilities to change the type of music that was acceptable in the charts forever. I honestly think it changed the way we listen to music, in a very good way

The Smiths were part and parcel of that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Prompted by the funny pics full body massage (including head) post...

Massages.

Now I don’t mind giving or receiving a shoulder/back/foot rub from a girlfriend, more than happy with that. It’s the idea of a proper, professional massage that doesn’t really appeal.

Does anyone here have them? I can just imagine any enjoyment I’d possibly gain would be completely offset with the general uneasy thoughts of “bloody hell, his/her hands are bit strong...hmmm going a bit lower there than I expected...god I feel flabby today...”

I suppose after the initial session it’s markedly less awkward afterwards, maybe.

On 13/08/2020 at 22:35, Stevo985 said:

Loved it back in the day but it was only good for a few series.

Anything after about season 5 or 6 has been shite

Stopped watching it after Kolowski ? first appeared 

43 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Massages.

Now I don’t mind giving or receiving a shoulder/back/foot rub from a girlfriend, more than happy with that. It’s the idea of a proper, professional massage that doesn’t really appeal.

Does anyone here have them? I can just imagine any enjoyment I’d possibly gain would be completely offset with the general uneasy thoughts of “bloody hell, his/her hands are bit strong...hmmm going a bit lower there than I expected...god I feel flabby today...”

I suppose after the initial session it’s markedly less awkward afterwards, maybe.

I have had a lot of different massages from both males and females, usually at festivals. Never felt any unease, always felt like they were doing good, so to speak and nothing sexual. Conversely had massages from my wife and it always felt sexual, even if that wasnt the intention. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why has singing in scales become the sign for good singing. 

It drives me insane.  The song should not get lost in the vocal acrobatics of the singer.  I think it's because of all these talent shows. 

Scales should be reserved for training the voice, not one long unnecessary wailing line in the middle of a verse. 

Very much this. The approach seems to be "never sing one note per syllable when ten will do". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Massages.

I got sent for physiotherapy after I got rear ended in the car a few years ago part of which was a massage. every week for ten weeks

I'm not convinced it made much difference but the feeling when the massage was over was certainly a good one, My neck and back felt looser with more mobility for a couple of days

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I got sent for physiotherapy after I got rear ended in the car a few years ago part of which was a massage. every week for ten weeks

I'm not convinced it made much difference but the feeling when the massage was over was certainly a good one, My neck and back felt looser with more mobility for a couple of days

Oh as part of physical rehabilitation or some such, yeah I’d get past any awkwardness I have definitely.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Why has singing in scales become the sign for good singing. 

It drives me insane.  The song should not get lost in the vocal acrobatics of the singer.  I think it's because of all these talent shows. 

Scales should be reserved for training the voice, not one long unnecessary wailing line in the middle of a verse. 

HATE HATE HATE!!!! And it should piss us off. My endless love with Carey and Vandross (I refuse to link it) is my most hated song of all time. 🤮

edit: oh, we are not in the TTPYOTS thread

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

Â