Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Nandos. 

I will start by admitting I'm not a big fan of chicken generally. 

We've just had the first take away since the day McDonald's closed down. 

My daughter is owed a favour and asked for Nandos so I relented. 

I just don't get it.  Its like a youth phenomenon, my kids are obsessed with it but to me it's just chicken in with a bit of sauce/seasoning.  It's SO expensive. 

I had the Nandos burger which is THE most uninspiring chicken burger I have eaten.  Dry as anything, an awful bun and half the size of what I was expecting. 

Total cost of the meal was £10 - £15 more than I would have paid for a KFC and frankly half as enjoyable, and I don't generally enjoy KFC.

Why are they so big? I simply don't get it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Gallagher wasn’t the greatest frontman of his genre let alone generation. The arrogant swagger was just well timed with the Lynx drenched days of 90s ladism. 

I think Jarvis Cocker was the best 90s Britpop front man and a nod to the likes of Brett Anderson of Suede and Shaun Ryder, Tim Burgess and Ian Brown (admittedly he was pretty awful singing live though!)

Liam Gallagher, Ian Brown and Peter Hooton. Three people who should never be called singers. Random vocal noise generators would be more appropriate. Not one of them can hold a single note

I once worked a Farm gig at a venue called the State Ballroom (Yeah yeah, Letter to Brezhnev and that Bronski Beat video I'm in). I also used to DJ an Alternative Student night at The State for a couple of years and the walls are covered in marble the sound is dreadful unless its reasonably full with people to deaden the effect of the marble bouncing the sound everywhere. ANyway... Peter Hooton, "singing" Groovy Train during the soundcheck has to be hands down one of the worst vocal performances I've ever witnessed (and I have seen Oasis and t'Roses a good few times) the sound of cats shagging whilst being serenaded by someone just starting to learn the bagpipes would have been preferable

I once told Peter Hooton how bad he was as a singer, when he was a passenger in my cab but thats another tale altogether

• Like 1

I've only ever looked at the menu in Nandos once, just to see what all the fuss was about.

I think its because theres an awful lot of people who eat utter crap at home because its all they know (or can afford)

Fun fact - brum library is the only nandos to ever shut

It is a bit shit, I get that it's a bit of a young person's social media hype place and I get that to be fair its better than frankie and bennies and chiquitos but it's still shit, agree that I'd rather go to KFC or burger King 

Not sure what the good chains are anymore, the food hall business model will take over at some point, the likes of digbeth dining club etc 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair its better than frankie and bennies and chiquitos

Can't comment on the mexican gaff but as much as F&B is shit at least the menu has a variety of shit. Nandos is Chicken, Bun, Sauce... thats it

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure what the good chains are anymore,

There aren't many and those that are decent are higher up the price scale. Cote is decent for fairly standard French food. Bill's is reasonable for a variety menu. Browns  reaches just about acceptable

The difference with nandos and f&b is the grill, at least in nandos for as simple as it is you know they've cooked it rather than used a glorified microwave 

The problem with both is that they serve food that you can quite easily make yourself for cheaper 

Back to the front man thing, I'm watching Arctic Monkeys headline Glastonbury on iplayer and the vocal really sounds as good as the original recordings.  I'm not saying he's the best singer ever but you're never going to come away from an Arctics gig saying "that Alex Turner can't sing for toffee" 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Back to the front man thing, I'm watching Arctic Monkeys headline Glastonbury on iplayer and the vocal really sounds as good as the original recordings.  I'm not saying he's the best singer ever but you're never going to come away from an Arctics gig saying "that Alex Turner can't sing for toffee" 

Saw them 3 times on the last tour, won tickets to the Royal Albert Hall show, incredible, couldn't get enough of them, was actually thinking if they did do the huge rumoured Sheffield shows I'd book multiple nights

He doesn't say much or interact with the crowd and his persona thing is weird but he completely owns his records and gets stuck in to them 

Would recommend the last shadow puppets set too, think the one with Miles kane is a white tracksuit is from transmit but there's a glasto one too, finish on moon age daydream 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Fun fact - brum library is the only nandos to ever shut

Are you saying there was a Nandos in the library??? 

Which has just triggered a possible false memory, perhaps someone can dispel or verify: in the previous Birmingham central library - the one that I think of as the 'new' library, buy most of you will consider the 'old' library - was there, or was there not a pub in the basement? I have vague memories of desperately trying to write my crazily overdue degree dissertation in there, and being interrupted by a mate who dragged me (admittedly very willingly) down to the bar for ill-advised beers. I must have imagined that, surely? 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Are you saying there was a Nandos in the library??? 

Which has just triggered a possible false memory, perhaps someone can dispel or verify: in the previous Birmingham central library - the one that I think of as the 'new' library, buy most of you will consider the 'old' library - was there, or was there not a pub in the basement? I have vague memories of desperately trying to write my crazily overdue degree dissertation in there, and being interrupted by a mate who dragged me (admittedly very willingly) down to the bar for ill-advised beers. I must have imagined that, surely? 

There was a Wetherspoons in the undercover walkway that linked Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square (called Paradise Forum, I think?). The Spoony's replaced a Hooters

Not sure where the pub was before?

Edited by Xela

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

There was a Wetherspoons in the undercover walkway that linked Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square (called Paradise Forum, I think?). The Spoony's replaced a Hooters

Not sure where the pub was before?

Well it wouldn't have been a 'spoons, because I'm talking 1975 - but it looks like my memory may be correct. Phew. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well it wouldn't have been a 'spoons, because I'm talking 1975 - but it looks like my memory may be correct. Phew. 

From Wiki

Madin designed the Central Library as part of a large civic centre scheme on the newly created Paradise Circus site. Originally planned to be built alongside the library was a School of Music, Drama Centre, Athletic Institute, offices, shops, public house, a car park with 500 spaces and a bus interchange.[11] The collection of civic buildings were all to be connected by high level walkways and the network of galleries which bridge the roads. The School of Music and a public house (The Yardbird) were the only other buildings in the original plans to be built and the high level walkways were never completed.[

The Yardbird was there until the very end. I watched a gig in there. It was on the outside of library so I always thought it was built afterwards

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been to The Yardbird. It sticks out in my mind because it was the worst pint I've ever had :D 

Must admit, although it was a long time ago, I don't recall the beer being any good. But it was a case of any excuse to avoid writing that damned essay. 

• Like 1

Â