Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

@mjmooney

Doing a bit more digging on the Yardbird. Sounds like it opened as the Bread & Roses, before coming the Grapevine and finally the Yardbird

birmingham_b3_grapevine2.jpg

The Grapevine was situated on Paradise Place. This M&B pub was known as the Yardbird when it closed in late 2014, and was also known as The Bread & Roses. To be demolished as part of a council regeneration project.
‎Going back over twenty years ago, and a good number of years before, The Grapevine on Paradise Place Birmingham was the number one choice for students of the Birmingham Conservatoire that was situated just a few yards over the road. I doubt that without the students the pub would have survived as long as it did but it was warm, inviting and had a baby grand in the window that anyone could play. A well stocked bar and a simple food menu was also a hit with the locals but the music student pub is how I remember it, and I was one of them.
Chris (November 2015)

Much used by Birmingham Polytechnic students as halls of residence just 5 mins away on Summer Row. First placed I ever played ‘Pong’ the black and white computerised table tennis game. I used pub between 1972-76.
Andrew Myatt (July 2019)

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/birmingham_b3_grapevine.html

Edited by Xela

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People who go to the gym wearing baseball caps while working out. Genuinly annoys me. Guess I'm turning into a grumpy old fart 

Ah, now that’s interesting because I’ve recently taken to wearing one.

I’m a particularly sweaty very amateur exercise newbie, and the hat is specifically to stop buckets of sweat pouring down in to my eyes and glasses. I guess it’s my equivalent of the Borg headband, but I didn’t have a headband, I had a sort of military stylee green canvass cap.

So I sit there, like some Castro / Raab C Nesbitt hybrid, sweating in to my hat.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

To be fair you come across slightly different than the idiots who are trying to look cool. They'll gladly lift weights in baseball cap and hoodie. 

If you now say you wear a hoodie... I'm out 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

I do not possess a hoodie.

I have a small but high quality selection of footy and music tee shirts.

My fave tee shirt was from HiFi Hangar, with a large orange reel to reel tape machine on it. But I’ve recently realised it looks like a big set of boobs.

• Haha 1

Only when I work out at home but sometimes I'll wear a big thick hoodie to squeeze some sweat out, I've not reached the bin bag stage yet 

Also got a training top with a built in snood and hood, makes me look like a ninja, it's like a thin baselayer type material, really good training top (but I'm never putting the hood up, I do use the snood in the winter) 

I've owned a baseball cap for years but it's predominately for bad hair days, got a right bashing during lockdown, agree that's a weird one for the gym 

The crowd noises used in the audio feed at AVTV. I was on a long motorbike trip for the Newcastle game and I swear it's on a loop with a goal every ten minutes. 

I also burned through 2GB of data just listening to crap commentary - about what I use when I watch games on DAZN. AVTV always seems to find new ways to fail.

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2020 at 15:35, KenjiOgiwara said:

People who go to the gym wearing baseball caps while working out. Genuinly annoys me. Guess I'm turning into a grumpy old fart 

My gym has a few blokes wearing beanies when they work out , thankfully it also has some fantastic Totty working out in it so I’m too busy to get annoyed about them 

30 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Red dwarf

This. Can't see it at all. Poor man's Hitchhiker's Guide, and not funny. Not helped by my pathological hatred of Craig Charles. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not helped by my pathological hatred of Craig Charles. 

I can't hate Craig Charles, me and the missus went to see him at the Uni in December 1995 (Guest list, wasn't paying to see him, just a cheap night out)... 9 months later our daughter was born

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Loved it back in the day but it was only good for a few series.

Anything after about season 5 or 6 has been shite

1-5 are peak dwarf. 6-7 were ok with a couple of really good ones but some shite. 8 was pretty damn bad. 9, the Corrie crossover,  we pretend doesn't exist. 10-12 I think are about back where 6-7 were. Watchable, with some good moments, but they don't hit the highs of the early series. 

I'm going to have to watch Quarantine and Queeg tonight.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

1-5 are peak dwarf. 6-7 were ok with a couple of really good ones but some shite. 8 was pretty damn bad. 9, the Corrie crossover,  we pretend doesn't exist. 10-12 I think are about back where 6-7 were. Watchable, with some good moments, but they don't hit the highs of the early series. 

I'm going to have to watch Quarantine and Queeg tonight.

I think everything in the Dave era has been painfully shit.

I still watch it all with inexplicably high expectations. But it's absolute rubbish imo

• 1 month later...

Fabric Conditioner. 

WTAF is that, it has no business existing. 

I do mean generally but especially on towels. 

Towels should not be soft, towels should be rough. 

Towels with fabric conditioner in them don't actually function as towels anymore.  They don't absorb any moisture, it's like trying to dry yourself with a sheet of plastic. It just moves the water around your body. 

It only exists because large chemical companies created it and ran extensive advertising campaigns convincing mothers that they need to hold towels up to their cheeks and feel how soft a towel is otherwise they are a bad mother. 

At best people are just wasting money on something they totally don't need which ruins the thing they want it for. 

At worst it's pumping millions of gallons of completely unnecessary and lord knows what chemicals into the water system, that's without even thinking about the Co2 generated in their manufacture and transport and plastic containers to store it in. 

Fabric Conditioner can flick right off and when it gets there flick off some more. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â