Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I like the occasional one, more of a breakfast man myself, but never been hooked on it. 

I can't comprehend queuing for hours to get any food. 

The double sausage and egg muffins were my favourite. But yeah queuing for food unless you’re literally starving and waiting for a bag of rice or your ration book is not something I’d ever do. 

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I like the occasional one, more of a breakfast man myself, but never been hooked on it. 

I can't comprehend queuing for hours to get any food. 

Double Sausage and Egg Muffin meal for a hangover 

That’s all maccies is good for

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 18:05, Xela said:

People queuing for hours to get into IKEA today. 

I know a lot of people have **** all to do at the moment but bloody hell. 

I wouldn’t queue at IKEA during a non pandemic

Their stuff is is horrendously wank 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve never set foot in an IKEA.  How cool am I?

You’re missing out on some cracking oat cookies , which is probably the only reason for actually going into an IKEA

People who get excited about chefs.

I like nice food, and if I'm in the right mood and someone else is paying, I'll appreciate a meal in a fancy restaurant. But people who hero worship chefs just baffle me.

Gordon Ramsay, Heston Blumenthal, etc. They all just seem like insecure obsessive weirdos doing something that isn't really that interesting. I don't have a problem with what they do, I just find the way the chef's personality becomes part of the package really weird.

Not sure why I've brought this up now, seeing as I haven't eaten in a restaurant in months. It just popped into my head.

Edit: oh, it's because someone mentioned IKEA, and I always think it's the same sort of clearings in the woods who like IKEA and chefs.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

After Easter , Waitrose had some Heston chocolate teapots on offer for £2 instead of twenty so I bought one ... way to ruin Easter with your cocoa nibs and pretentious Non Cadbury chocolate .

tbh , Food in general for me is a bit meh, it’s just something you have to do . i get roped into fine dining every now for birthdays and what not but I’m much happy at the Wong Kei with it’s plastic chopsticks , surly waiters and shared tables ... 

I’m sure sitting around for 3 hours savouring every course is wonderful but Id rather scoff something  in 10 mins and be somewhere else  

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Food in general for me is a bit meh, it’s just something you have to do

That much is obvious from your posts. Seems a bit of a shame. 

• Like 1

Had a meal in a seafood restaurant once that had just been announced as the winner of some big annual Med wide restaurant competition. It was a big deal, there were camera crews there and it was on the news!

Absolute pot luck we’d picked that night to book it.

It was, by a long long way the best food I’ve ever eaten. Helped I’m sure by me not picking up the bill. We’d just won a big bank contract and people flew in from all over to join the celebrations. The guy that had organised it and was paying, he bought everyone that worked there brandies and cigars, then signed off a huge tip! 

It was in the good old bad old days of bankers using cash to light cigars.

Yeah, nice bit of fish. Eating whole baby octopuses by the spoonful was a revelation, just awesome.

No, Blandy, no, they didn’t have any before you ask.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Eating is one of life's greatest joys for me.  

I know a few people that only really eat out of necessity and it makes me kind of sad.

I went to uni with a guy like that. He ate plain chicken and broccoli almost every night. Which worked for him as he was a boxer so protein and all that.

But he didn’t eat like that because he was a boring meathead just bothered about muscle. He just took no pleasure in food. He ate plain food because he just didn’t care. He’d often miss a meal because he would just forget that he needed to eat. 

I found it very strange, considering I’m the exact opposite. I’m usually planning for my next meal before I’ve finished the meal before that 😂

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I know a few people that only really eat out of necessity and it makes me kind of sad.

Will Self made a good point a few years back around the volume of cooking programmes on TV and the general level of interest around it, how food has morphed from the necessity it once was to now being central to the structure of most people’s days.

I found myself agreeing with him to be honest, though I love food (too much) it’s daft really that many of us live our lives around when and what we’ll eat.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I found it very strange, considering I’m the exact opposite. I’m usually planning for my next meal before I’ve finished the meal before that 😂

Exactly this, my day is basically planned around my meals.

I can't believe the amount of people that don't eat lunch at work.  I genuinely wouldn't be able to get through the day without it.

• Like 1

On a working day I don't have breakfast and very rarely have lunch, but when I'm at home then I'll pretty much always feel really hungry around midday and want to get myself something. Weird.

Makes me sound like I'm one of these people who don't like food but I do. Mainly crap food, admittedly, but I enjoy it a lot!

6 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

On a working day I don't have breakfast and very rarely have lunch, but when I'm at home then I'll pretty much always feel really hungry around midday and want to get myself something. Weird.

Makes me sound like I'm one of these people who don't like food but I do. Mainly crap food, admittedly, but I enjoy it a lot!

Same here. Previously I’d grab some fruit for the drive to work and often skip lunch. 
WFH life I’m hungry the second I get up and want to eat all day.

I used to only have one meal per day but I wasn't restricting myself It just didn't cross my mind to eat at other times as I never used to get that hungry for some reason, like when I see people going on these fasts, I always think to myself I used to go on them all the time without even realizing it. Even now I don't eat much, but usually make sure to have some porridge in the morn and to have an apple or banana during the day.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

and mine and I think youtube has expanded my cooking, it used to be twisted and delish with 3 minute long videos chucking meat and cheese in some sort of unhealthy combination but now im on to food wishes and the likes of get curried

I've got no real interest in restaurants that aren't going to give me something that I cant do or at least attempt to do myself, for that reason I never really eat at Italian restaurants, I like the social element of a Balti house 

as for chefs, watch Jamie Oliver make scrambled eggs and then watch Gordon Ramsey do it, you'll understand the difference, Ramsey knows the science of what salt does to the protein structure of the egg and therefore the exact moment to put it in, Oliver is a bish bash bosh you slag horrible chef

im surprised @tonyh29 cuisine doesn't come in to your travelling, that's something I do like, TV chefs doing travel shows, rick stein's are great

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and mine and I think youtube has expanded my cooking, it used to be twisted and delish with 3 minute long videos chucking meat and cheese in some sort of unhealthy combination but now im on to food wishes and the likes of get curried

I've got no real interest in restaurants that aren't going to give me something that I cant do or at least attempt to do myself, for that reason I never really eat at Italian restaurants, I like the social element of a Balti house 

as for chefs, watch Jamie Oliver make scrambled eggs and then watch Gordon Ramsey do it, you'll understand the difference, Ramsey knows the science of what salt does to the protein structure of the egg and therefore the exact moment to put it in, Oliver is a bish bash bosh you slag horrible chef

im surprised @tonyh29 cuisine doesn't come in to your travelling, that's something I do like, TV chefs doing travel shows, rick stein's are great

One of the best parts of holiday and travelling for me. Sampling local cuisine

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely!  One of the main draws of travelling for me is sampling the local cuisine.

EDIT: Yeah what Stevo said

Edited by Wainy316

Â