Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's all about location, really; in Romsley, you're safely tucked away in the hills and no-one can get you, but in Illey Lane you're within spitting distance of the chavs in Bartley Green, so. 

Plus the Frankley lot too.

• Like 1

So my point is.  If you win £4m, you can afford a house within a stones throw of really, not nice areas (in which I used to live on the edge), and have £2.5m left, without any changes or other materialistic goods you'd probably look to upgrade, like cars, clothes or hobbies. 

£2.5m doesn't go far anymore. Certainly not as far as treating family members, luxury holidays etc. 

Ok maybe a luxury holiday could cost 5-25k, from 2 weeks in dubai or bahamas to a world cruise or whatever.  You've still got to live on top of that. Interest rates are pretty bad now-a-days, right? 

If you cant retire early and look after immediate family with 2 million or more then you are a **** idiot. Of course you arent going to live like a celebrity but neither are you going to ever worry about OVO Energy sending the bailiffs around over an unpaid heating bill.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So my point is.  If you win £4m, you can afford a house within a stones throw of really, not nice areas (in which I used to live on the edge), and have £2.5m left, without any changes or other materialistic goods you'd probably look to upgrade, like cars, clothes or hobbies. 

£2.5m doesn't go far anymore. Certainly not as far as treating family members, luxury holidays etc. 

Ok maybe a luxury holiday could cost 5-25k, from 2 weeks in dubai or bahamas to a world cruise or whatever.  You've still got to live on top of that. Interest rates are pretty bad now-a-days, right? 

It's a matter of perspective, isn't it. Obviously if you had a spare £2.5m, you wouldn't be giving away life-changing sums of money, but if you gave away £5k a pop, which is still nice sum of money for doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, you could give that 20 times and that would only be £100k. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

If you cant retire early and look after immediate family with 2 million or more then you are a **** idiot. Of course you arent going to live like a celebrity but neither are you arent going to ever worry about OVO Energy sending the bailiffs around over an unpaid heating bill.

I'd rather live like I live now, not worrying about "losing my fortune" than having a moderate fortune and stressing about losing it. 

£2m is loads of money, but eating into it and seeing nothing going back in would frighten me for some reason :lol:  

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's a matter of perspective, isn't it. Obviously if you had a spare £2.5m, you wouldn't be giving away life-changing sums of money, but if you gave away £5k a pop, which is still nice sum of money for doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, you could give that 20 times and that would only be £100k. 

Oh I understand it :)

I think it's built into me to "give" more of myself than I can probably afford to do.  I'd feel like 5k isn't life changing, even though it's got the ability to change some peoples lives.  I'd feel, in my head, it isn't enough - if that makes sense. 

@Paddywhack - how much money do I owe you again? :lol:  

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd rather live like I live now, not worrying about "losing my fortune" than having a moderate fortune and stressing about losing it. 

£2m is loads of money, but eating into it and seeing nothing going back in would frighten me for some reason :lol:  

What a berk. If you win the lottery, can I have it?

I'd happily sit on £2m. 

Get some properties, earn a small income from the rent, and then spend the rest of the time looking after sick little duckies and pussy cats. That's what I'd do. :D

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

What a berk. If you win the lottery, can I have it?

I'd happily sit on £2m. 

Get some properties, earn a small income from the rent, and then spend the rest of the time looking after sick little duckies and pussy cats. That's what I'd do. :D

You'd gamble it all on Scarab you prat! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I couldn't even afford a house in St Johns Wood with all the rock stars;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72517231.html 

Large glass windows at the rear give the extensive, Tsunami-equipped kitchen a bright

:blink:

edit: also like to notice on the usual mortgage calculator at the bottom that comes with every property that monthly payments would be a a mere £99, 810 per month. On a 25 year mortgage, reckon you could extend that to near 33-34 year at a lower interest rate and it would be nearly affordable

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I like the pitch. :)

• Haha 1

Most people in a 40 year working life won't earn £2.5m. I think it would go further than you think. Invest some in multi asset funds and you could be getting 5% returns. 

A big house wouldn't interest me... i'd be happy with a little stone cottage in the cotswolds. Cars are where I would spend my money... not flash new ones, but older classics. They would probably appreciate in value so would be more of an investment. 

• Like 1

Oh I understand it :)

I think it's built into me to "give" more of myself than I can probably afford to do.  I'd feel like 5k isn't life changing, even though it's got the ability to change some peoples lives.  I'd feel, in my head, it isn't enough - if that makes sense. 

@Paddywhack - how much money do I owe you again? :lol:  

£20!

money cash GIF

• Thanks 1

Different for me, as I'm already retired. The house we have is fine - if anything, we might downsize, regardless of money. Would probably upgrade the car, but nothing flash. Some travel, some toys (guitars, hi fi, etc,). The rest would go to the kids, who could really use it, housing-wise. 

Basically, it wouldn't change my lifestyle very much, I'd just do more of what I already do. 

Â