Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Whether that extra second or two helps dry the hands to significantly reduce the chance of electrocution is debatable. But ultimately it’s a safety thing. You could have a chord light switch set up inside instead.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of how wet your hands are, it's completely impossible to even get a shock from a light switch mounted correctly, let alone electrocute yourself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

So you can turn the light on before you go in, you want to walk into an unfamiliar room and be scrabbling about in a dark room with no windows feeling for the switch?

Do you want the light switch on the inside of a bath/shower room?

What on earth are you talking about? How do you imagine this works? That I just walk in to a bathroom with the light switch in there, and close the door behind me, going on to guess where the switch is?:lol:

I turn it on with the door open and have the light on in the previous room. The same way we see the light switch in every other room. 

I also think it's fair to say that the majority of bathrooms have a window.

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What on earth are you talking about? How do you imagine this works? That I just walk in to a bathroom with the light switch in there, and close the door behind me, going on to guess where the switch is?:lol:

I turn it on with the door open and have the light on in the previous room. The same way we see the light switch in every other room. 

I also think it's fair to say that the majority of bathrooms have a window.

I think you've conflated the two sentences, the first sentence doesn't refer to bathrooms

34 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm pretty sure that regardless of how wet your hands are, it's completely impossible to even get a shock from a light switch mounted correctly, let alone electrocute yourself.

Well I would think so too. Maybe it’s more likely condensation. Or maybe it’s just an old code that is still adhered to.

But the avoidance of a water/electricity mix is the reason for it. My dad who’s project managed the last six new builds I/my family have lived in over the past twenty odd years says that’s the reason anyway, I think I’ve raised the question pretty much every time (much to his annoyance) :D

I believe the guidelines to it fall under the building regs.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well I would think so too. Maybe it’s more likely condensation. Or maybe it’s just an old code that is still adhered to.

But the avoidance of a water/electricity mix is the reason for it. My dad who’s project managed the last six new builds I/my family have lived in over the past twenty odd years says that’s the reason anyway, I think I’ve raised the question pretty much every time (much to his annoyance) :D

I believe the guidelines to it fall under the building regs.

Yes. They are different light fittings in bathrooms too.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

A 65 year old French billionaire has died in Paris, heart attack during a penis enlargement operation 

I guess that technically, it sounds like the operation was a raging success.

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The Madeleine McCann case. Can someone explain to me why everyone is convinced the parents got away with murder?

Basically, a lack of alternative credible explanations. (I don't have any opinion on the case, but I think that's why other people think they did it)

37 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The Madeleine McCann case. Can someone explain to me why everyone is convinced the parents got away with murder?

It's not so much that people believe they got away with murder, some do, partly fueled by the ridiculous Portuguese Police processes i.e. having an arguido (current most likely suspect) which the McCanns were at one point (as were plenty of others) and one of the original lead detectives on the case wrote a book accusing them of being the killers, which didn't really stand up to scrutiny.

There is more of a consensus amongst people that the McCanns, had they been from a poorer background or even had a different colour skin would have been charged with neglect for leaving three kids unattended whilst they went on the piss (with their friends who had seemingly done the same). It's no coincidence that the McCanns are also personal friends of Esther McVile (McVey), friends in high places and all that. Poorer people wouldn't have been able to afford to hire the PR consultants they did to argue their case in public either.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

People who rewatch football matches that have no real significance.

We have forum members who have said stuff like "I've just re-watched the game from Saturday..."

Why? Is that not really boring?

It's not a criticism, each to their own. I just don't get it.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2019 at 15:08, maqroll said:

Gerry uses Occam branded razors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â