Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

The fascination with Lego. 

Anything you can make out of it looks crap. No smooth curves possible, just horrible blocky angles, with pimples all over them. 

I got rapidly dissatisfied with it even as a primary school kid, let alone as an adult. If you want to make a model aeroplane, or car, or whatever, buy an Airfix kit. At least it has a fighting chance of looking something like what it's supposed to be, unlike lumpy Lego. 

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Anything you can make out of it looks crap. No smooth curves possible, just horrible blocky angles, with pimples all over them. 

I got rapidly dissatisfied with it even as a primary school kid, let alone as an adult. If you want to make a model aeroplane, or car, or whatever, buy an Airfix kit. At least it has a fighting chance of looking something like what it's supposed to be, unlike lumpy Lego. 

It's a few things.

The simplicity of Lego means it's a creative endeavour with no skill or tools required. Even a basic Airfix kit is going to need a few tools, glue, paint. Lego, you basically just need time.

Theres also the enjoyment of, for want of a better way of putting it, the methodical process. A lot of people find the build satisfying, and mediative.

And there's the interest in the ingenuity of how the build is designed, using what is ultimately a fairly limited medium to do complicated things. And you ultimately get a fairly significant sized thing in the end.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's a few things.

The simplicity of Lego means it's a creative endeavour with no skill or tools required. Even a basic Airfix kit is going to need a few tools, glue, paint. Lego, you basically just need time.

Theres also the enjoyment of, for want of a better way of putting it, the methodical process. A lot of people find the build satisfying, and mediative.

And there's the interest in the ingenuity of how the build is designed, using what is ultimately a fairly limited medium to do complicated things. And you ultimately get a fairly significant sized thing in the end.

That looks shit. 

;)

An airfix kit is boring compared to lego. Sure you can build a model and it looks good, but a kid can't play with that. he can't build a plane and use it to destroy a fleet of lego soldiers. It'll just get destroyed.

Surely the appeal of lego is that it's so simple and easy to quickly build something, play with it, then break it all up and build something else.

I think the comparison between lego and airfix when you're talking about those big elaborate lego models is valid. But at it's core I think lego is a lot different in its appeal.

• Like 3

I absolutely loved lego as a child. It pretty much was my childhood from age 4-13. It’s that you can build pretty much anything with simple bricks, that are pretty brilliant in their simplicity. It gives you interesting, yet easily solveable creative challenges. It is intensely relaxing to focus your mind on it. It lets you use your own imagination - What do you mean it doesn’t look like a real spaceship? I’ve just built the most powerful spaceship ever, far too complicated and awesome for your feeble mind! Hah! 

I’m going to spoil my son with legos, for entirely selfish reasons. 

On 27/02/2019 at 11:00, Wainy316 said:

Image result for villa park lego

Image result for villa park lego

See, this is what I mean. It's great that somebody has the ingenuity to do that, but all those pimples would really piss me off. 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See, this is what I mean. It's great that somebody has the ingenuity to do that, but all those pimples would really piss me off. 

And what about all those brush strokes on great paintings. I don't want any reminders of the materials and methods used.

On 27/02/2019 at 09:52, mjmooney said:

I loved it as a kid. I just had loose lego and used my imagination. My Mom said it would keep me quiet for hours!

I don't get the limited edition expensive lego kits - what do you do once you have built the Millennium Falcon or Hogwarts? Just look at them?

• Like 1

Why people want spoilers ahead of time for shows they watch.  Like now for a prime example, there are Game of Thrones snippets doing the rounds.  I love that show.  Why on earth would I want it spoiled before I see it?  I've been living for season 8.  Even the trailers take away from viewing the episode to some degree, because I can't help myself from letting my mind run wild with theories, so I'm then expecting something to happen that I've conjured up, which distracts from just watching the show.  I really don't get it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Why people want spoilers ahead of time for shows they watch.  Like now for a prime example, there are Game of Thrones snippets doing the rounds.  I love that show.  Why on earth would I want it spoiled before I see it?  I've been living for season 8.  Even the trailers take away from viewing the episode to some degree, because I can't help myself from letting my mind run wild with theories, so I'm then expecting something to happen that I've conjured up, which distracts from just watching the show.  I really don't get it. 

Yeah I hate this. It's one of the reasons I don't understand why people watch soaps. Everyone in the country (who cares) knows what's going to happen on a soap before it happens.

I work with a girl who will google the end of films and TV programs while she's watching them. She says she can't bear the wait to know what happens at the end.

Mental.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I hate this. It's one of the reasons I don't understand why people watch soaps. Everyone in the country (who cares) knows what's going to happen on a soap before it happens.

People who watch soaps are dealing with issues of their own.

• Like 3

Â