Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

I don't have a problem with humans killing animals for food (though it's not a universal acceptance - if the animals are vulnerable to extinction, for example) but I absolutely have an issue with killing animals for sport.

So stalking (with whatever skills are necessary) in order to just display a skill is grim. If you're hunting to either acquire meat for you or your community or in order to protect other livestock then that's a different story.

If it's a measure of the skill on tracking, precision, sneaking up on and so on then surely it's quite possible to do all of that without killing the prey? Is the measure of the skill and so on actually doing it and knowing that you did or having a trophy (with however many points - which don't demonstrate the skill but rather the luck) stuck on your wall as a talking point for a dinner party?

This.

I don't think there's anything particularly skillfull about killing an innocent, defenceless animal with a gun, no matter how you want to frame it.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think its the test of skill, the tracking ability, the time and precision it takes to sneak up on a deer, they're natural at hearing / spotting you, its not natural for humans to able to get that close and then the skill of the shot, or its the other way around, longer shot requiring more skill, you're talking guys getting 5m away from a deer before shooting it, or shooting a deer through the heart from 200m away

This is just making me want to play Red Dead Redemption.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a lot of stuff that is "natural" that isn't acceptable in modern society. Excusing something just because it's "natural" is a shitty approach, imo.

But this is probably a discussion for the vegetarianism thread :) 

I kind of get what you mean, but our basic needs are pretty much breathing and eating. And what snowy wrote was what I meant, more or less. And we are predators, even though we've developed. But the way animals get treated in the "meat industry", at least by the big companies, is horrible. We've got rather restricted laws here in Sweden so when I buy meat I try to buy meat coming from a local farmer.

So, to put it short, I agree with you on some of it, probably most of it, but not all. :) 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a lot of stuff that is "natural" that isn't acceptable in modern society. Excusing something just because it's "natural" is a shitty approach, imo.

But this is probably a discussion for the vegetarianism thread :) 

I wonder if that’s why the other half just rolls her eyes when I try to argue that I’m evolved to procreate as much as possible. It’s only natural, babe. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I kind of get what you mean, but our basic needs are pretty much breathing and eating. And what snowy wrote was what I meant, more or less. And we are predators, even though we've developed. But the way animals get treated in the "meat industry", at least by the big companies, is horrible. We've got rather restricted laws here in Sweden so when I buy meat I try to buy meat coming from a local farmer.

So, to put it short, I agree with you on some of it, probably most of it, but not all. :) 

Again I don't want to turn this into the vegetarian thread so I won't so anything more than I agree with you on the basic needs part. But I don't think in a developed society we "need" meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Lettuce in burgers.  Seriously WTF is that all about? It adds no flavour and a burger is not something that needs padding out. 

All it does is go slimey and make the burger fall apart as you try to eat it. 

I hate myself if I order a big mac and forget to ditch the lettuce as I know the 3 pieces of bun are going to be sliding all over the 2 meat patties and leave a lettucy mac sauce splodge all over my t-shirt. 

In addition you are mixing lettuce with ketchup and mustard.  If you suggested that combo in any other food people would look at you like you had gone off your rocker. 

Lettuce in burgers.  Just why???? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

"The uneven surface of the "Lettuce" was found by scientists to aid in the overall grip of the burger to the bun and/or burger surface, especially in “Ketchupy” or “Mustardy” conditions.  It was also seen too aid in the distribution and drainage of fluids within the inner working of the burger, especially in "Side Hold" situations or whilst in transit."

45 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

"The uneven surface of the "Lettuce" was found by scientists to aid in the overall grip of the burger to the bun and/or burger surface, especially in “Ketchupy” or “Mustardy” conditions.  It was also seen too aid in the distribution and drainage of fluids within the inner working of the burger, especially in "Side Hold" situations or whilst in transit."

Well that is just a load of blollocks. 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Lettuce in burgers.  Seriously WTF is that all about? It adds no flavour and a burger is not something that needs padding out. 

All it does is go slimey and make the burger fall apart as you try to eat it. 

I hate myself if I order a big mac and forget to ditch the lettuce as I know the 3 pieces of bun are going to be sliding all over the 2 meat patties and leave a lettucy mac sauce splodge all over my t-shirt. 

In addition you are mixing lettuce with ketchup and mustard.  If you suggested that combo in any other food people would look at you like you had gone off your rocker. 

I don't mind it when it's a proper burger made fresh, so the lettuce is out on there like 30 seconds before you're eating it. So it's still crispy and tastes of lettuce.

But you're right, if it's been on there for any length of time it goes slimy and horrible.

To be honest most of the stuff they put on burgers is pointless. Burger, cheese bun. That will do. 

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The lettuce is edible, it's the gherkins I can't stomach.  Vile things.

I **** love gherkins, pickles or whatever. Tangy crunchy goodness. 

Also, forget nurofen, a glass of pickle juice cures any hangover.

• Like 2

Â