Paul Lambert

limpid

The shots and possession stats are more important IMO. We had under 40% possession yesterday against the worst Spurs side I've seen in years. Whilst I appreciate a lot of this is down to Benteke's red card, Spurs were there for the taking yesterday and after going a goal up, we should have pressed high up the pitch against a very nervous defence. But in typical Lambert style, we sat back and invited pressure. A decent side would have finished Spurs off before half time!

Against QPR we had more of the ball, but had no execution in the final third. We are still crying out for creative players. I was hoping Cleverley would offer something different but the last two matches he's played on the left. Gabby, Weimann and N'Zogbia, for all there efforts, aren't good enough and whilst recourses have been limited, this area in particular has needed addressing before PL arrived at the club. (I still believe a decent manager and back room staff can coach players into playing a certain way, but it is evident this can't/won't happen under the current regime.)

Whilst I think his job won't be under any real threat unless we lose the next three matches, if Lerner and Fox are looking for a replacement, I really hope they are broadening their horizons. Whilst Pulis and Moyes would improve results, neither will bring with them this attractive brand of football we have been crying out for.

• Like 2

Ah, Tony Pulis. Be careful what you wish for, as the saying goes.

Still, like most of us I'm tired of watching Villa matches and hearing the soundtrack to The Omen in my head - you're sitting there hoping that good things will somehow happen, but all along knowing that very bad things are steadily building with cast iron inevitability.

• Like 2

The shots and possession stats are more important IMO. We had under 40% possession yesterday against the worst Spurs side I've seen in years. Whilst I appreciate a lot of this is down to Benteke's red card, Spurs were there for the taking yesterday and after going a goal up, we should have pressed high up the pitch against a very nervous defence. But in typical Lambert style, we sat back and invited pressure. A decent side would have finished Spurs off before half time!

I don't see why the possession stat is so important in this sort of game. Not only were we playing with 10 me while 1-0 up for a significant portion of the game but we also scored early on in the first place. I'm not saying we should just sit back anytime we take the lead but I don't think that was what was happening until the sending off - we certainly had the chances to finish Spurs off, once again the problem was converting chances, not possession.

Edited by Mantis

When we win but play poorly seems that lots of people are quick to say that it's only the result that matters. But yesterday we lose (again) and I keep seeing arguments for how well we played.

Do you? I think you're seeing what you want to see.

All anybody has said is that we played well enough to justify our lead until the sending off, which is a completely reasonable statement. We had several chances to extend that lead and Spurs really only had one (but must be said it was the best chance of the game until then)

I don't think you'll find anybody saying we played well with 10 men.

• Like 1

I have lost all love for premier league football in recent years, one man has had helped that significantly and must go.

However id like to thank him for pushing me towards the unpredictable Conference North where every week anyone can beat anyone. Proper football.

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone? I personally think he comes across as very uninspiring and dour and don't think he comes across as likeable. Then again irrelevant of personality I like all villa managers that are successful. Does that make me fickle, probably but then I don't have to personally like villa managers as long as they do the job well, that is really all we all care about.

You'v answered your own question.

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone?

Purely and simply, I want him gone because we've played far, far too much unacceptable football during his tenure. The style we play under him is crap, and the results are crap, so what exactly about his managing makes him worth keeping around?

Losing to Bradford over 2 **** legs should have done it, but we've just had our worst run of games in 47 years. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Lambert is in his 3rd year and it's his squad. He can't improve us, all he can do is flap his arms around trying to tread water until we inevitably go down. Let's try something different.

• Like 2

Yesterday showed that we have the players to be a decent side. Spurs even though not playing well have some very good players. They are on paper a better team yet we deserved to beat them a weak referee and a silly reaction from Benteke. If we had showed that level of attacking intent in all the other defeats most people would have be happy and I'd say we'd have had at least one better result. It all shows that Lambert is a problem because we haven't gone out to play like that in other games. It seems he knows his on the ropes and is trying to have a final flurry to see if he can still win but for me it's too late. Too many lower league defeats. Too many games were we just don't try to win. If Benteke doesn't play his team is devoid of ideas. Yesterday was too little too late but I. Can't see him going because the manner of the defeat was better! So we go again.

I'ts sad really.

When he first came in there was talk about him being the new Jurgen Klopp that even with the apparent lack of funds would reshape the club from top to bottom and turn us into the next Borussia Dortmund.

When it became clear this wasn't going to happen the thought was that we at least had an O'Neill clone on our hands, and that, ok, this isn't great.  But at least he's not Alex McLeish...

Fast forward a few months and it turns out the football we turned out was in fact very much like what McLeish was soo rightfully slated for. And the results are just as bad.

But now, lo and behold Lambert seems hell-bent on once and for all stepping out of the McLeish shadow he's been hiding behind and make a name for himself as the worst manager in our Premier League history and quite possibly relegate us.

you-were-the-chosen-one-obi-wan-kenobi.g

And of course none of this would be possible without the help of our exalted leader Mr Lerner who handed Lambert a new 4 year contract.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone?

Purely and simply, I want him gone because we've played far, far too much unacceptable football during his tenure. The style we play under him is crap, and the results are crap, so what exactly about his managing makes him worth keeping around?

Losing to Bradford over 2 **** legs should have done it, but we've just had our worst run of games in 47 years. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Lambert is in his 3rd year and it's his squad. He can't improve us, all he can do is flap his arms around trying to tread water until we inevitably go down. Let's try something different.

I want him gone myself. What I'm asking is why people like him as a person but on the football side don't. For me, the football is bad and therefore there is absolutely no reason to like him.

• Like 1

You've answered your own question again.

Please explain how I have? Not taking the piss I just don't believe I have.

I see people post saying stuff like "Lambert seems a really nice person" or "He seems to have a good personality" but then these same then follow it up with but I want him gone.

I can understand the wanting him gone bit, but too me, he comes across as very dour and lacking in personality. I'm just wondering what people see in him that they like, as lack for me lack of personality and lack of success holds no redeeming qualities.

You've answered your own question again.

Please explain how I have? Not taking the piss I just don't believe I have.

I see people post saying stuff like "Lambert seems a really nice person" or "He seems to have a good personality" but then these same then follow it up with but I want him gone.

I can understand the wanting him gone bit, but too me, he comes across as very dour and lacking in personality. I'm just wondering what people see in him that they like, as lack for me lack of personality and lack of success holds no redeeming qualities.

You said that you base your opinion of him as a person based on our football.

Other people separate the personality from the football.

You stated as much yourself.

Today Lambert can't be blamed too much, 1 up and it was a good performance even if Spurs are dire.

Overall though yes his record is one that is sackable, that's hardly a revolutionary opinion.

Nor proactive enough by a long way.

We were winning at 84 minutes and did nothing to protect that position.

I still think our bench showed weak leadership yesterday resulting in Benteke's Red... They should have been right in the Refs face.. firstly with the two footed lunge by that Spurs player, and secondly when it was obvious the Spurs players were getting at Benteke.Poor lad was all on his own whilst our limp bench sat watching.. ...Now compare that to the Spurs bench as soon as Benteke palmed the Spurs guy away.. They were all up arms in the air shouting and the Spurs players were surrounding Benteke.. basically making a massive scene out of it which guess what...the weak ref caved in to and out comes the red.

What about the Spurs player who butted Benteke? How come he got off scot free? why no instant reaction from our bench? If Benteke had gone down holding his face and our bench had done what the Spurs bench did we would have 3 points now.... Weak leadership for me...And even more staggering is waking up to "Benteke deserved a red" comments from Lambert  :huh:  I mean what?!... Defend you players man!! Somehow i cannot see Mourihno, Fergie etc doing that as they know that makes you look a soft touch to the officials for future games.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

It's about time we get a new manager because I doubt things will change for the better with Lambert. He's had his time and I'd like to see someone else in charge. It's a paying job regardless of financial restrictions so there has to be someone with enough qualities to give us a go. I'd love to see Fox work his charm on someone to fill the spot. Here's to hoping that'll happen sooner rather than later, because I can only see us continuing with our fickle play unless there's some confidence reinstalled in the squad and the club as a whole.

• Like 1

Â