Paul Lambert

limpid

I still think our bench showed weak leadership yesterday resulting in Benteke's Red... They should have been right in the Refs face.. firstly with the two footed lunge by that Spurs player, and secondly when it was obvious the Spurs players were getting at Benteke.Poor lad was all on his own whilst our limp bench sat watching.. ...Now compare that to the Spurs bench as soon as Benteke palmed the Spurs guy away.. They were all up arms in the air shouting and the Spurs players were surrounding Benteke.. basically making a massive scene out of it which guess what...the weak ref caved in to and out comes the red.

What about the Spurs player who butted Benteke? How come he got off scot free? why no instant reaction from our bench? If Benteke had gone down holding his face and our bench had done what the Spurs bench did we would have 3 points now.... Weak leadership for me...And even more staggering is waking up to "Benteke deserved a red" comments from Lambert  :huh:  I mean what?!... Defend you players man!! Somehow i cannot see Mourihno, Fergie etc doing that as they know that makes you look a soft touch to the officials for future games.

I agree, but then again have you seen much fuego under PLs reign? rarely if so.

When we win but play poorly seems that lots of people are quick to say that it's only the result that matters. But yesterday we lose (again) and I keep seeing arguments for how well we played.

Do you? I think you're seeing what you want to see.

All anybody has said is that we played well enough to justify our lead until the sending off, which is a completely reasonable statement. We had several chances to extend that lead and Spurs really only had one (but must be said it was the best chance of the game until then)

I don't think you'll find anybody saying we played well with 10 men.

Why would I want to see arguments for how well we played? If I do then the good news is you provided one for me in your next paragraph. Actually not sure what I was talking about in my original post though.

I still think our bench showed weak leadership yesterday resulting in Benteke's Red... They should have been right in the Refs face.. firstly with the two footed lunge by that Spurs player, and secondly when it was obvious the Spurs players were getting at Benteke.Poor lad was all on his own whilst our limp bench sat watching.. ...Now compare that to the Spurs bench as soon as Benteke palmed the Spurs guy away.. They were all up arms in the air shouting and the Spurs players were surrounding Benteke.. basically making a massive scene out of it which guess what...the weak ref caved in to and out comes the red.

What about the Spurs player who butted Benteke? How come he got off scot free? why no instant reaction from our bench? If Benteke had gone down holding his face and our bench had done what the Spurs bench did we would have 3 points now.... Weak leadership for me...And even more staggering is waking up to "Benteke deserved a red" comments from Lambert  :huh:  I mean what?!... Defend you players man!! Somehow i cannot see Mourihno, Fergie etc doing that as they know that makes you look a soft touch to the officials for future games.

It is a red card there's no point defending him because he needs to know how stupid it was so he doesn't do it again. Fergie was actually pretty honest in slating a lot of his players if they got idiotic bookings/red cards.

I agree with the bench though, they hardly moved. Why wasn't Roy Keane in there with a two footed lunge? That's real leadership that I want to see.

When we win but play poorly seems that lots of people are quick to say that it's only the result that matters. But yesterday we lose (again) and I keep seeing arguments for how well we played.

Do you? I think you're seeing what you want to see.

All anybody has said is that we played well enough to justify our lead until the sending off, which is a completely reasonable statement. We had several chances to extend that lead and Spurs really only had one (but must be said it was the best chance of the game until then)

I don't think you'll find anybody saying we played well with 10 men.

Why would I want to see arguments for how well we played? If I do then the good news is you provided one for me in your next paragraph. Actually not sure what I was talking about in my original post though.

Huh?

I have remained away from these boards for quiet some time so hello again guys 'n gals.

I defended PL to the hilt after his first season in charge on here, but sadly it is evident that the stats against him have not been backed up by a lot of the fans support for him.

By now we should have shown improvement at least but it is sad to say that there has not been any improvement and just bad statistics being made even worse week after week.

I am sorry but I am willing to give PL the next 2 games v Spam & S'oton in which I Expect a minimum of 4 points gained, anything less than this I am afraid we need to bring in Tony Pulis.

As someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread.. where is the PL that was at Norwich?

It is okay saying "the players gave 100% but we must go again", frankly right now the players need to be giving 110% if I am honest because with these dreadful results and our rapid fall towards the relegation zone all that is on the fans mind's is "Here we go again!"

I really wanted it to work out for you Mr Lambert I really did and believed it would, sadly it is not looking that way and I am afraid to say there is 2 games left and if they also end in defeat that will be 8 games on the trot lost and will expect to see you be a man and walk or give Randy/Fox no option but to replace you (whether there is a new 4 year deal in place or not).   :(

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Today Lambert can't be blamed too much, 1 up and it was a good performance even if Spurs are dire.

Overall though yes his record is one that is sackable, that's hardly a revolutionary opinion.

Nor proactive enough by a long way.

We were winning at 84 minutes and did nothing to protect that position.

I think that's my only criticism of Lambert from last night, other than that from the manager's perspective (you can't legislate for a red card to our best player) I think he got it right.

His record is appaling, but you can't look at his record without looking at the circumstances he's been working in, and not just with respect to our owner, with respect to how all the other clubs in the league have been using money. It's like a perfect storm, we've been cutting back at precisely the time when even newly promoted teams without a notable sugar daddy can invest massively in wages and transfers. Pu tthat together with the fact that he was tasked with putting together an entirely new squad near enough too. Not easy.

• Like 1

Lambert was far too diplomatic about Swarbrick and the officiating of the game (which cost us the victory).

Trouble is, any criticism from lambert would leave him facing an fa charge and a fine with a possible touchline ban with it.

Lambert was far too diplomatic about Swarbrick and the officiating of the game (which cost us the victory).

What do you want him to say? Refs are a protected species, anything he no doubt wanted to say would have resulted in a fine and a ban, if I was a manager who'd lost 6 on the trot I wouldn't do anything to make it worse

And it never will be easy if it continues that way, The stats against PL as villa manager has shown in nearly 2 and a half seasons what he can do on a limited budget.

It must be very demoralising to keep going like this too for the Manager and the players & fans alike.

It would be fair for PL to start a fresh challenge somewhere else and hope it works for him there as it just does not seem to be happening for him at B6.

I like Lambert and would always wish him luck in another job if it does not work out for him here. I am not going to sit and slag him off about he he can't do this, won't do that etc.

He came, he gave it a 'right good go' but it is not enough for the fans.

The suggesting to change the manager before December is sensible. It gives time to appoint a new manager (hopefully immediately) to give him the December fixtures to really look at everyone in the team and then strengthen in January in areas he feels may need strengthened.

Or do we continue on like this, same manager, same bad results all the way until Feb when we could be rock bottom, the window closed and not a pot to piss in?

He said about as much as he'd get away with.

Said by the letter of the law the ref was right but that Benteke was provoked and, whilst he didn't condone what he did, it wasn't exactly a punch so felt it was harsh.

Something like that anyway

Maybe the desire is no longer there on the bench anymore.. Surely Keano would be first up out his seat to have a word too?

Just makes me wonder about Keane's comments the other week about him leaving Villa if his ROI duties suffer, handy get out clause if you ask me if Lambert walks/get the bullet!

I just have a feeling PL is getting fed up as well and may even decide it is time for a new challenge elsewhere?

Pulis' football at Palace was much better than Lambert's has been for the last two/three years.

Lambert has it perfectly set for him to be fair. Even if he does get sacked, which he won't, but say he walks when we lose nine in a row and Burnley turn us over... He'll STILL be exempt of blame for some people.

Obviously he won't get another Premier League job for a long long time because other fans and clubs can see how bad we are but our own fans still can't. Good for him.

And it never will be easy if it continues that way, The stats against PL as villa manager has shown in nearly 2 and a half seasons what he can do on a limited budget.

It must be very demoralising to keep going like this too for the Manager and the players & fans alike.

It would be fair for PL to start a fresh challenge somewhere else and hope it works for him there as it just does not seem to be happening for him at B6.

I like Lambert and would always wish him luck in another job if it does not work out for him here. I am not going to sit and slag him off about he he can't do this, won't do that etc.

He came, he gave it a 'right good go' but it is not enough for the fans.

The suggesting to change the manager before December is sensible. It gives time to appoint a new manager (hopefully immediately) to give him the December fixtures to really look at everyone in the team and then strengthen in January in areas he feels may need strengthened.

Or do we continue on like this, same manager, same bad results all the way until Feb when we could be rock bottom, the window closed and not a pot to piss in?

It's a shit state of affairs all round. If we continue this bad run for another few games his position is untenable IMO, regardless of circumstances off the field. Why that is double bad for the club is then the off the field problems come right out into the open as being problem number one when trying to recruit his replacement. No-one intelligent or talented enough to do a good job here would touch us with a shitty stick at present. 

So let's say he HAS to go because we lose another 2 or 3 games on the bounce. We spend a month trying to persuade someone to take us on in our current state and get an aspiring championship/league one face who is a glutton for punishment. He then has a coupel of games over christmas to decide how to spend what? £20m? That's if Lerner really wants to splash the cash, more likely £10m and a couple of shiney marbles and a ruffle of his hair and a wink.

What's he gonna do with that? Unless we've unearther the next Brian Clough by some stroke of luck, in that situation we go down. We have a manager in need of building "his team" and all the best players go in the summer. We still have no cash and now our income is screwed if we don't go straight back up.

We're currently damned if we do and damned if we don't IMO, we NEED Lambert to sort this out and spend in Jan. Then we could reach mid table safety. As it stands it looks bleak.

What do you want him to say? Refs are a protected species, anything he no doubt wanted to say would have resulted in a fine and a ban, if I was a manager who'd lost 6 on the trot I wouldn't do anything to make it worse

I am not advocating making personal slurs about the officials as others have done. But Lambert should have passionately attacked the general officiating of that game, regardless of a potential fine or ban. Injustice can galvanise the club.

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone? I personally think he comes across as very uninspiring and dour and don't think he comes across as likeable. Then again irrelevant of personality I like all villa managers that are successful. Does that make me fickle, probably but then I don't have to personally like villa managers as long as they do the job well, that is really all we all care about.

Not sure why this question is so offensive. I'm happy to answer it for you.

I like Lambert as a man, I think he cares deeply for the club, I think - although he can't get it across on the pitch - he has a strong will to win, and I think he is passionate (just not the 'in your face' kind).

Ultimately he is unable to get his ideas across on the pitch, where it matters.

I think because I do like him so much, is the reason I am so harsh. He has all the attributes of a man who could be good manager, he just can't make it work.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

I think Tony Pulis might fancy us as a challenge and it will be the biggest of his career too Roma.

I would hope the chairman/board would have spoken to possible candidates and having a caretaker in charge at Burnley would fit nicely for Pulis to take charge the following Monday and make his first game away to Palace!  :twisted:

I am not advocating making personal slurs about the officials as others have done. But Lambert should have passionately attacked the general officiating of that game, regardless of a potential fine or ban. Injustice can galvanise the club.

No he shouldn't have. Instead he should passionately attack Benteke for being an idiot. 

Ref was bad but the only major wrong decision was not sending Chadli off. 

• Like 1

Maybe the desire is no longer there on the bench anymore.. Surely Keano would be first up out his seat to have a word too?

Just makes me wonder about Keane's comments the other week about him leaving Villa if his ROI duties suffer,

If Keane really said that then he shouldn't really be here in the first place, not really leading by example if he's asking for commitment from the players.

Â