Paul Lambert

limpid

If we put in another shocking performance like at QPR I was possibly ready to actively call for his head but we were really good with 11 men. There is a good team in there and it's a shame that the word removed of a referee lost control of the game.

Will be quite telling to see whether we can put in more performances like that under fairer conditions or whether we'll revert to how we were against Everton and QPR.

so you thought the last 2 years doesn't matter...i just want to see it one more time to convince myself.

I actually didn't think it was that good considering we was at home and they were one point ahead of us....i seen some decent moments and the customary scruffy moments were still there.

They had equally as many chances as us if not slightly more and scored more goals....Mason was very lucky not to be sent off, if fact he should have been.

That is one goal in six games ....and i think we had one shot on target....at home? and thats playing well?

Like I said elsewhere, the one shot on target stat today is very misleading.

Weimanns header early on, Benteke's free header from lowton's cross, benteke's towering header that went just wide, Benteke hitting the woodwork, Cissokho's chance at 1-1.

Those were all good chances, but none of them are a shot on target.

Today was a lot better in terms of going forward. Still not good enough, but we created a lot more chances than we have done in previous games.

And I disagree that Spurs created more. Certainly not before the red card, although they did have the best chance of the game up to that point (Adebayor)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Harsh to blame Lambert for today. He set the team up to win and had Benteke not got himself sent off then I firmly believe we would have done. The players are responsible for silly sending offs. not marking at corners and giving away free kicks in dangerous places. Lambert is responsible for organising and motivating the side, and today I thought the performance was pretty good. 

• Like 1

I do think shots on target is a bit of a red herring - shots in general is probably far more important over all. The shots on target stat doesn't differentiate between a shot that really stretches the keeper and an effort that rolls tamely into his arms. Furthermore, you can have loads of closes chance but few shots on target.

Edited by Mantis

I do think shots on target is a bit of a red herring - shots in general is probably far more important over all. The shots on target stat doesn't differentiate between a shot that really stretches the keeper and an effort that rolls tamely into his arms. Furthermore, you can have loads of closes chance but few shots on target.

I think in general it's a good indicator.

But like all stats you need to be aware of when an exception can be made and I think today is one of them.

"Chances" would be a better stat. But that would be pretty much impossible to quantify because it would need discretion.

Yes, it all comes down to chances. Shots is only a loose indicator of this but can't be used as a general rule. I'd say we about edged Spurs for chances and their two goals came from set-pieces.

• Like 1

We created enough today, first half at least. I know hitting the post isn't technically a shot on target but it's still bloody close to scoring and a matter of inches as was the Benteke header.

It was progress from barely crossing the halfway line in our recent games.

Harsh to blame Lambert for today. He set the team up to win and had Benteke not got himself sent off then I firmly believe we would have done. The players are responsible for silly sending offs. not marking at corners and giving away free kicks in dangerous places. Lambert is responsible for organising and motivating the side, and today I thought the performance was pretty good. 

Agree 100%. 

If we hire Pulis I would lose all of the little love I have left for football

Same here, it would be a truly desperate move. The man is responsible for some of the worst football ever in in the Premier League but it seems many fans have conveniently forgotten that and base all his career on the lucky few months he had at Palace. The fact that he quit while his stock was high isn't lost on me either.

We need to get rid of the abomination that is Lambert and replace him with David Moyes, and it needs to happen now before it's too late.

Agree 100%.

Only one shot on target all day. No more excuses for Lambert. His time is up.

Serious question but did you watch the game?

Yes. I was there. We're you? How many shots on target did you see today?

Yep.

Why the focus on shots on target? Surely chances are more important.

Fair enough if you want Lambert out and I'm not exactly far from that position myself but I don't know how you can quote the shots on target stat as a reason to get rid of him when we actually had a lot of chances today. Would you have preferred it if we had had loads of shots on target but no actual chances?

• Like 1

Pulis rumours? I thought people were just speculating and his name has been popping up the most because he's the most high profile manager that we could probably get right now?

I've heard that Lambert's got this 1-year thing in his contract but that's probably just speculation too.

Edited by Mantis

There are Pulis rumours going round to be fair. Collymore tweeted he'd heard we had 'tentatively' sounded out Pulis for the job, not making an argument for it's validity but there is a rumour nonetheless.

Edited by penguin

Pulis rumours? I thought people were just speculating and his name has been popping up the most because he's the most high profile manager that we could probably get right now?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-stan-collymore-causes-8035114

It's a rumour, albeit only one staryed by dear old Stan on Twitter. It's in the Mail.

Aston Villa: Stan Collymore causes Twitter storm with Tony Pulis claim
Former Aston Villa star says the club have sounded out Tony Pulis

collymore.jpg
Stan Collymore

Stan Collymore has caused a Twitter sensation tonight by claiming that Aston Villahave 'tentatively' sounded out Tony Pulis about a role at the club.

Collymore later appeared to clarify his remark and almost distance himself from his earlier tweet. Birmingham Mail sources suggest there is no credence to the claims.

Aston Villa have gone five games without a win or a goal and the pressure is mounting on boss Paul Lambert .

The manager has however had the full support from the board who even tied him down to a new four-year deal in September.

talkSPORT presenter Collymore's latest claim will be an unwelcome distraction ahead of the game with Tottenham Hotspur.

Pulis is a well-respected manager in the game after building Stoke City into a solid Premier League side and he also received the Manager Of The Year Award in 2013-2014 for transforming the fortunes of Crystal Palace.

Serious question but did you watch the game?

Yes. I was there. We're you? How many shots on target did you see today?

Yep.

Why the focus on shots on target? Surely chances are more important.

Fair enough if you want Lambert out and I'm not exactly far from that position myself but I don't know how you can quote the shots on target stat as a reason to get rid of him when we actually had a lot of chances today. Would you have preferred it if we had had loads of shots on target but no actual chances?

The problem with Villa is that we don't score enough goals. Just 5 all season and only 3 at Villa Park (none scored in front of the Holte). Another home game today and only 1 shot on target. If you don't think that's a problem fair enough but I do. Lambert's tactic is let the opposition have control of the game and we hit them on the break. That is the source of our problems and its Lambert's fault. That's why he has to be sacked before it's too late.

Chances mean nothing unless they're on target, and our goals scored column says it all.

The problem with Villa is that we don't score enough goals. Just 5 all season and only 3 at Villa Park (none scored in front of the Holte). Another home game today and only 1 shot on target. If you don't think that's a problem fair enough but I do. Lambert's tactic is let the opposition have control of the game and we hit them on the break. That is the source of our problems and its Lambert's fault. That's why he has to be sacked before it's too late.

Chances mean nothing unless they're on target, and our goals scored column says it all.

I think the lack of goals is a massive problem - we should've scored more today. The shots on target stat really doesn't mean anything because likewise shots on target mean nothing unless they end up in the back of the net. We created lots of chances today but could only score one of them - that is the issue, not the fact that we only had one shot on target.

Yeah we created plenty of chances, and could have been 3 up in the first half. Best I've seen us play all season. Really sickening that a much needed win and good performance all goes out of the window thanks to some diabolical refereeing. The worst part is, nobody suffers but Aston Villa. No retrospective action, nothing to cushion the blow. Instead, Tottenham are gifted 3 points, and this referee will continue to terribly referee games in the future.

Â