Paul Lambert

limpid

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone? I personally think he comes across as very uninspiring and dour and don't think he comes across as likeable. Then again irrelevant of personality I like all villa managers that are successful. Does that make me fickle, probably but then I don't have to personally like villa managers as long as they do the job well, that is really all we all care about.

I suppose it’s because to be fair to him it seems to hurt him as much as us that we are useless. He is trying and I think he still believes he possesses the potential to be a good manager. I think the sack will shatter that belief.

It’s similar to how it saddens me when we release youth players who tried like f**k but just didn’t have the talent.

In both cases I am willing to believe up until it becomes all too apparent that they can turn the corner but eventually we all have to accept that they are not up to the task.

Edited by Villastine

If Lambert loves this club he would realise that he is doing more harm than good and walk away without a bumper pay off.

Instead he will get sacked, after relegation or at a time we can't recover enough to avoid it - with millions in comp.

Yes reputationally he will be finished for a few years, but he'll be minted. He'll get a job at Championship or League One level and have a second coming eventually. What he did at Norwich won't be forgotten.

What other job in the world can you literally spend over 2 years making a complete pig's dick of and still get rewarded millions for?

Lambert can't lose.

Edited by VillanousOne

If Lambert loves this club he would realise that he is doing more harm than good and walk away without a bumper pay off.

Instead he will get sacked, after relegation or at a time we can't recover enough to avoid it - with millions in comp.

Yes reputationally he will be finished for a few years, but he'll be minted. He'll get a job at Championship or League One level and have a second coming eventually. What he did at Norwich won't be forgotten.

What other job in the world can you literally spend over 2 years making a complete pig's dick of and still get rewarded millions for?

Lambert can't lose.

Ah come on now. This is his profession. The owner, his boss, gave him a new contract a few weeks ago. If that same owner now decides to sack him, then he should of course pay him whatever the clause in that contract dictates.

What is wrong with expecting midtable

This is his 3rd year his 3rd season in charge i expect improvement and progression

We have not progressed in terms of football quality or results

All i see is him breaking more records every weekend and our team making the same stupid basic errors every game

Watching Villa under Lambert is like watching Groundhog Day

Same old shit different week and as a paying fan who expects to be entertained i'm sick of it and a club of our stature and history deserves better

Edited by AshVilla

1 win at home this season

4 defeats including Orient

22 defeats in 42 home league games-Edit 43

Thats over 50% of home games in the league under Lambert we lose. With that stat I am amazed over 30,000 still go every time.

Yesterday we were a bit unlucky, but he has to improve the home form or he is finished, End off.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Who else we going to get?

We have no money, the club is up for sale and we are in god awful form.

Not exactly enticing

Except the £15m available in the summer plus the additional funds that must be there for Lambert to be talking about January targets?

i thing the frustrating thing is PL can not give this club for whatever reason ..a team who can hold its own in the Premier League,

i dont think RL will sack as it will cost £ to get old staff out & new in,then funds in january,i just dont see it happening

on what we have seen this season i dont fancy PL as manager 

What 15m ?

Never heard of this being "available".

Even it is half of that will go to Lamber in compensation if he is sacked.

£4m (Sánchez) + £2m (Cissokho) + £8m (Cleverley)* = £16m (I was using £15m as a guesstimate)

*Yes, it was made a loan at the last minute but we always wanted a permanent deal and had a bid accepted.

Edited by Isa

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone? I personally think he comes across as very uninspiring and dour and don't think he comes across as likeable. Then again irrelevant of personality I like all villa managers that are successful. Does that make me fickle, probably but then I don't have to personally like villa managers as long as they do the job well, that is really all we all care about.

I like him because I think he has tried his absolute level best to improve us, under the most difficult circumstances I think any Villa manager has ever faced. He's never shown any arrogance towards the club/fans and I think our situation is genuinely hurting him as a man.

Ultimately I think he is failing and I'm no longer convinced he can turn it around, but I am not prepared to spit the kind of venom at him that others are.

It's like a relationship that's gone sour. Some people are treating him like a bird who's gone and shagged their best mate, others can see he is loyal and has tried to make us happy, but no matter how hard he tries, it just isn't working out.

There is no doubt that he has tried his best, as did TSM before him.

Unfortunately, his best is nowhere near good enough.

To be a success at Villa in the current climate his best needs to be brilliant. He needs to be an outstanding manager, not just a good one.

It's right to say it hasn't been good enough and so far he has fell short, but by how much is open to debate and depends on the expectation to begin with.

I'd say the current position we find ourselves in is 70/30 in favour of events beyond his direct control, against his underperformance in the role.

Despite all the awful records he's broken and the poor football, we are still not in the bottom three and we are only 3/4 points behind Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton. Compare the respective platforms those teams started from at the beginning of the summer and the resources available to each of them, how bad must those managers be if they can only manage one more win than Lambert so far?

Just stumbled on this thread.

I can't help but feel its a bit reactionary.

If Tekkers hadn't been sent off we'd have probably won and have 13 points on the board, same as United.

As it happens, Tekkers gets sent off through no fault of Lambert's and it's doom and gloom.

We've had a really bad run of fixtures, that's all.

This team is capable of pushing on and attaining a decent mid-table position.

I am firmly in the Lambert staying camp because I really don't think anyone could do a better job in the circumstances.

• Like 3

Just stumbled on this thread.I can't help but feel its a bit reactionary.If Tekkers hadn't been sent off we'd have probably won and have 13 points on the board, same as United.As it happens, Tekkers gets sent off through no fault of Lambert's and it's doom and gloom.We've had a really bad run of fixtures, that's all.This team is capable of pushing on and attaining a decent mid-table position.I am firmly in the Lambert staying camp because I really don't think anyone could do a better job in the circumstances.

It's not.

The majority criticising have been doing so long before the Spuds game, would even say before this season.

I agree the team is capable of that but is Lambert capable of getting that out of them? Personally I think relegation is a huge possibility this season.

So, we get relegated.

But that's ok, because there is not another manager out there who could have prevented it.

At least we know.

Or, we might not get relegated with Lambert.

Or, we sack Lambert and someone even worse comes in and takes us down.

Or, we stick with Lambert and continue to play crap and go down.

Or, we sack Lambert and get someone in who does the same job.

Or, we sack Lambert and someone else comes in and does better than Lambert.

There, I've covered all of the possibilities for you. Now what?

Edited by lapal_fan

I like him because I think he has tried his absolute level best to improve us, under the most difficult circumstances I think any Villa manager has ever faced. He's never shown any arrogance towards the club/fans and I think our situation is genuinely hurting him as a man.

Ultimately I think he is failing and I'm no longer convinced he can turn it around, but I am not prepared to spit the kind of venom at him that others are.

It's like a relationship that's gone sour. Some people are treating him like a bird who's gone and shagged their best mate, others can see he is loyal and has tried to make us happy, but no matter how hard he tries, it just isn't working out.

There is no doubt that he has tried his best, as did TSM before him.

Unfortunately, his best is nowhere near good enough.

To be a success at Villa in the current climate his best needs to be brilliant. He needs to be an outstanding manager, not just a good one.

It's right to say it hasn't been good enough and so far he has fell short, but by how much is open to debate and depends on the expectation to begin with.

I'd say the current position we find ourselves in is 70/30 in favour of events beyond his direct control, against his underperformance in the role.

Despite all the awful records he's broken and the poor football, we are still not in the bottom three and we are only 3/4 points behind Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton. Compare the respective platforms those teams started from at the beginning of the summer and the resources available to each of them, how bad must those managers be if they can only manage one more win than Lambert so far?

Not sure why a few managers under performing with their teams has any relevance on the complete lack of progress Lambert has shown into his 3rd year as manager.

Â