Paul Lambert

limpid

The thing that I don't get with Lambert since he came to Villa is the change in his style of play, or at the very least my perception of it. When he came in I thought he was going to bring a vibrant, quick, energetic style of football, maybe a bit direct but with the pace in our side I thought that he would be able to energise the squad and use the big Villa Park pitch to turn it into a fortress while still being good on the counter away.

Sadly it hasn't worked out that way in the slightest, and I am starting to think the job is too big for him. I always said we had to give him three seasons, but I think I might lose patience in January if things continue as they are.

Pulis' football at Palace was much better than Lambert's has been for the last two/three years.

Lambert has it perfectly set for him to be fair. Even if he does get sacked, which he won't, but say he walks when we lose nine in a row and Burnley turn us over... He'll STILL be exempt of blame for some people.

Obviously he won't get another Premier League job for a long long time because other fans and clubs can see how bad we are but our own fans still can't. Good for him.

Absolute garbage; I really hate posts like this.

I'd like you to find one fan anywhere who has said "Lambert is exempt of blame".  It's just absolute **** nonsense. 

There are people who like taking that turd and rolling it in glitter but at the end of the day it still smells like a turd!

Mmmm and I seem to remember one poster the other day who wrote a very long post on how we should all blame Lerner and not Lambert???

Couldn't possibly say who it was though as my memory isn't so good now?

I think this proves you didn't read it properly.

Any opportunity to mention McLeish. This is Lambert's mess up now.

It's usually the norm to compare a manager with his predecessor. Maybe you should question why McLeish is continually name-dropped by so many people. Or even better, maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the standard of football that has been on show during the past year.
The standard of football is down to Lambert. McLeish got abuse way beyond what was deserved, with Lambert being hailed as the saviour. This has not been the outcome. Lambert is a disaster.
  • Like 2

The other thing Lambert had at Norwich was the fact that he was lucky to inherit Grant Holt, who had a few very good years for him. 

But anyway, I I remember when he joined us, we were supposed to be getting a master tactician who could change tactics in a match to match the opposition when things started to go badly.  Well, despite there being more than enough examples of things going badly, I can't say that I've noticed much of this supposed tactical nous.  If anything, his response against Bradford in the semi-final was the most witless so-called football this side of the Mike Bassett film.

• Like 2

The standard of football is down to Lambert. McLeish got abuse way beyond what was deserved, with Lambert being hailed as the saviour. This has not been the outcome. Lambert is a disaster.

Oh, then I completely misunderstood your post just as you misunderstood mine. Saying 'McLeish-esque' isn't attributing any blame for the current football towards McLeish, rather it is being used as an adjective.

The results are similar to those under McLeish, the football simply isn't. Sending out a team with 3 strikers in the starting line up is something that would give McLeish nightmares.

The results are similar to those under McLeish, the football simply isn't. Sending out a team with 3 strikers in the starting line up is something that would give McLeish nightmares.

Not really. McLeish played three strikers at times too, often with someone like Heskey on the wing. The same way that Lambert usually plays Weimann out wide. Regardless of selection, the football and system are not too dissimilar at all.

Edited by Isa

McLeish was a defensive manager who's philosophy at every club he's managed was based on having a solid defence and hoping to knick a 1-0 through long ball football.

Lamberts game here appears to be knicking a win through our speed on the counter attack. Were pretty shit at doing it mind, but i don't see the similarities between lambert and McLeish

Edit - the similarities are the results. Not the style of football

Edited by Jimzk5

Remember how we finished his first year? The fact we've been unable to build on that 18 months later really shows how limited Lambert is as a manager.

That's the biggest frustration for me. He has shown that he can get us playing exciting, attacking football.

Admittedly a fully fit beast played a big part in it (he was virtually unplayable for the last 10 games of that season), but we have got nowhere near the performance level of that run in since.

Edited by wazzap24

McLeish was a defensive manager who's philosophy at every club he's managed was based on having a solid defence and hoping to knick a 1-0 through long ball football.

Lamberts game here appears to be knicking a win through our speed on the counter attack. Were pretty shit at doing it mind, but i don't see the similarities between lambert and McLeish

Edit - the similarities are the results. Not the style of football

Sounds legit but not true, at least when it comes to the time at Villa. 

During McLeish's spell there were only 3 games that finished 1-0. Guess how many 1-0 wins Villa got? Only last season there were seven 1-0 games involving Villa. 

Both managers during their time at Villa have been very defensive, direct, using a lot of long balls, with low possession, low number of chances created, poor creativity and bad defending. A lot of similarities there. 

We haven't been an effective counter-attacking team for the past year though. Which is why our away record, which was once the jewel in Lambert's crown, has completely abandoned us in that time. His approach used to be different to McLeish's but what has been served up in the past 12 months could easily have been produced by the latter. On the whole, it has been the same behind-the-ball, unadventurous hoofball.

You know... it is possible to play well and lose.

Admittedly, he has said at times we've done well, when really, we haven't.

As others have said, he obviously likes working at Villa, he's always positive about the fans, even though sometimes we're not too supportive.  He's obviously a quietly determined person, rather than the MON's "kicking every ball with the players".

He's obviously not a terrible manager, he was great at Norwich, but as with everyone who comes to Villa, we're a fairly big club, the fans are expectant but the board (currently) isn't.

I mean, you see fans expecting to finish top half and we're the bottom (19th I think) spending club, how can you compete with that expectation?

Genuine question but why do so many people like him but still want him gone? I personally think he comes across as very uninspiring and dour and don't think he comes across as likeable. Then again irrelevant of personality I like all villa managers that are successful. Does that make me fickle, probably but then I don't have to personally like villa managers as long as they do the job well, that is really all we all care about.

I like him because I think he has tried his absolute level best to improve us, under the most difficult circumstances I think any Villa manager has ever faced. He's never shown any arrogance towards the club/fans and I think our situation is genuinely hurting him as a man.

Ultimately I think he is failing and I'm no longer convinced he can turn it around, but I am not prepared to spit the kind of venom at him that others are.

It's like a relationship that's gone sour. Some people are treating him like a bird who's gone and shagged their best mate, others can see he is loyal and has tried to make us happy, but no matter how hard he tries, it just isn't working out.

There is no doubt that he has tried his best, as did TSM before him.

Unfortunately, his best is nowhere near good enough.

• Like 1

I'm seeing the fans starting to be criticised by some. Yes some may expect top half, the vast majority don't though.

From the last possible 102 points we've picked up 29. Surely everyone of us is entitled to expect more than that?

He can't live up to that simple expectation which is the problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing that out. A couple of people are claiming he's struggling because of that expectation.

Ah, with you.

That isn't the expectation to be honest.  It is from the chairman and probably a minority of fans, but most people "expect" us to be at least mid table.

Â