Paul Lambert

limpid

Oh great, a debate about the nature of truth. That's what I look to VT for. Here's a fact - water boils at 100 degrees. The chemical formula for water is H20.

Here isn't a fact - 'The Godfather' is a better film than 'Manos: The Hands Of Fate'. That might not be a fact, but it's a widely-held cultural belief, and you won't find too many people to take the other side of the argument. I don't find too many people taking the other side of the argument when I say Villa are s*** at home either, but you're welcome to start. Please tell me all of the ways in which you've been wowwed, awed and entertained by our worst ever home record performances.

We were wowwed with a Chelsea win, thumping Norwich (iirc) and beating Man City on the counter. I agree we're shit at home, on the whole, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been the odd good performance thrown in.
  • Like 1

No. All I have continuously & consistently sincerely  pointed out on this thread is that in my opinion the majority of fans on this site for enumerable reasons have not been fair to Lambert or given him enough time to prove his full value.

As stated previously I may be completely wrong & I accept that too.

In the meantime to those fans who booed Lambert at Palace & chanted you don't know what your doing I say this:

"You don't know what your doing, you don't know what your doing."

"You're".  FFS, it's "you're".

• Like 4

Oh great, a debate about the nature of truth. That's what I look to VT for. Here's a fact - water boils at 100 degrees. The chemical formula for water is H20.

Here isn't a fact - 'The Godfather' is a better film than 'Manos: The Hands Of Fate'. That might not be a fact, but it's a widely-held cultural belief, and you won't find too many people to take the other side of the argument. I don't find too many people taking the other side of the argument when I say Villa are s*** at home either, but you're welcome to start. Please tell me all of the ways in which you've been wowwed, awed and entertained by our worst ever home record performances.

We were wowwed with a Chelsea win, thumping Norwich (iirc) and beating Man City on the counter. I agree we're shit at home, on the whole, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been the odd good performance thrown in.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I've not softened for once. I still think his time is up.

• Like 1

So Villa were a disorganised shambles when we beat Jose Mourinho's Chelsea 1-0 at Villa Park recently?

No. I think not.

That same alleged shambles deservedly turned Arsenal over on the opening day of the season too & Man city at home with their backs against the wall.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Where you been for the other 30 odd games?

Villa have been a shambles for most of the season and all this nonsense with coaches etc is further proof that the club is a shambles! I've watched Villa 40 years mate and I can tell you it's a shambles. So don't give me the whole, "It's not paulie's fault nonsense". He's called a manager for a reason.

Paulie's fault??

Have you been watching Goodfella's?

The team, the manager & The Club have been severely handicapped by constant injury to our key players & at vital times throughout the season.

Had we won the last 4 games nobody would be bleating on about Karsa & Culverhouse.

Too many fans are OTT in their judgements without being privy to facts.

The facts as far as I am concerned speak for themselves.

ie - injuries to key players thwarting the development of Lambert's plans as in Okore, Benteke, Kozak, Nzogbia & Vlaar at various points throughout the whole season.

Any other team in tghe Premier League would struggle in the same circumstances.

ie where would Liverpool be without their key players Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge etc etc for long periods of the season.

Also, Suarez is Liverpools best player by a country mile in the same way that Benteke is ours.

Too many fans are OTT in their judgements without being privvy to facts! Do me a favour.

The facts are staring everyone in the face. A few facts spring to mind straight away:

1. The boring style of football on display in nearly every game played home and away.

2. Losing 10 league games at home.

3. Failing to score in 13 league games out of 33.

Trying to find excuses is really lame and just covers up the shortcomings.

Number 1 is an opinion and not a fact.

As always this is the normal thing but with outside interference then it changes, water only boils at 100 deg? , under higher or lower pressure the boiling temperature changes i.e in a vehicle engine or up a mountain.

There is always a reason that things can change, maybe IC and GC Were the reason we were shite. As has been said time will tell. There is nothing I want more than to see PL achieve and see us progressing,  None of us has a crystal ball so we rely on experience and gut feeling to guide us. My gut feeling is things will improve and in a years time we can put this shambles behind us.

Crystal Palace have just turned Everton over in their own back yard.

Will the natives at Goodison be getting restless & nailing Martinez's balls to the Glady's Street End goal posts now?

Palace have momentum, they had it by winning 2 games before they beat us. Now they have kicked ass at Everton.

Please stop looking to blame Lambert every time we have a set back.

Probably not they're 5th...

You haven't watched us much this season have you? You can't have.

Palace was the straw that broke the camel's back, not a shock result in an otherwise brilliant season.

Fingers crossed this change in backroom staff can see an improvement in style and results!

Me and VR are from an older generation that have witnessed far worse than this season. We are better prepared to deal with failure and disappointment than others, we are hardened by experience.

Additionally, we have witnessed the ultimate rewards of longevity under Ron Saunders and have seen what unwavering support can achieve in difficult times.

Add me to that list.

This is a very odd post.

The poster he was responding to presented an opinion as a fact - he was highlighting this error, nothing more. You've then inferred that he's happy with the performances by putting all sorts of words in his mouth.

The point, as you're surely able to divine, is that it is so obvious that we play rubbish, boring football - pacbuddies' point - that calling it a 'fact' is really an acceptable shorthand. Rather than calling the post 'very odd', I explicitly offered you the chance to tell me about the times you've been dazzled by our performances this season, and I notice that one poster did actually take that opportunity. But don't pretend like my point was hard to understand. 

So Villa were a disorganised shambles when we beat Jose Mourinho's Chelsea 1-0 at Villa Park recently?

No. I think not.

That same alleged shambles deservedly turned Arsenal over on the opening day of the season too & Man city at home with their backs against the wall.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Where you been for the other 30 odd games?

Villa have been a shambles for most of the season and all this nonsense with coaches etc is further proof that the club is a shambles! I've watched Villa 40 years mate and I can tell you it's a shambles. So don't give me the whole, "It's not paulie's fault nonsense". He's called a manager for a reason.

Paulie's fault??

Have you been watching Goodfella's?

The team, the manager & The Club have been severely handicapped by constant injury to our key players & at vital times throughout the season.

Had we won the last 4 games nobody would be bleating on about Karsa & Culverhouse.

Too many fans are OTT in their judgements without being privy to facts.

The facts as far as I am concerned speak for themselves.

ie - injuries to key players thwarting the development of Lambert's plans as in Okore, Benteke, Kozak, Nzogbia & Vlaar at various points throughout the whole season.

Any other team in tghe Premier League would struggle in the same circumstances.

ie where would Liverpool be without their key players Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge etc etc for long periods of the season.

Also, Suarez is Liverpools best player by a country mile in the same way that Benteke is ours.

Too many fans are OTT in their judgements without being privvy to facts! Do me a favour.

The facts are staring everyone in the face. A few facts spring to mind straight away:

1. The boring style of football on display in nearly every game played home and away.

2. Losing 10 league games at home.

3. Failing to score in 13 league games out of 33.

Trying to find excuses is really lame and just covers up the shortcomings.

Number 1 is an opinion and not a fact.
Unless someone is prepared to provide hard evidence to the contrary then it is a fact.

Over to you.

Something that can't be proven is not a fact, and boring football is something that can't be proven. It is someones opinions that the football is boring.

How many people are required to prove it? Let's have a poll.  :D

I think its boring. Most home games are like going to a wake.

Can we draw up a list of years people were born? I think we need to look at who is allowed an opinion. Anybody born after 1980 doesn't count? Age is certainly the best way to choose who knows better!

Can we draw up a list of years people were born? I think we need to look at who is allowed an opinion. Anybody born after 1980 doesn't count? Age is certainly the best way to choose who knows better!

Doug Ellis must be an expert then....

This is a very odd post.

The poster he was responding to presented an opinion as a fact - he was highlighting this error, nothing more. You've then inferred that he's happy with the performances by putting all sorts of words in his mouth.

The point, as you're surely able to divine, is that it is so obvious that we play rubbish, boring football - pacbuddies' point - that calling it a 'fact' is really an acceptable shorthand. Rather than calling the post 'very odd', I explicitly offered you the chance to tell me about the times you've been dazzled by our performances this season, and I notice that one poster did actually take that opportunity. But don't pretend like my point was hard to understand. 

I wouldn't call fact acceptable shorthand for opinion - that's the point. Now you're inferring that I'm defending the performances, just as you did with the other poster on the previous page.

Secret Footballer has spoken...

Backroom harmony at Villa turns sour

To many commentators on the outside looking in, the events at Aston Villa this week have had all the hallmarks of a training ground bust-up or a pre-match coming together.

Where I was concerned, the suspensions this week of assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa looked as if a decent column was only 1,000 words away.

Unfortunately, the reality wasn’t anywhere near juicy enough.

“It’s been a gradual erosion of staff working relationships, mate,” my source at Villa Park said. He is a man who, it’s worth noting, is as close to Aston Villa FC as it is possible to get without actually slipping on a shirt each week.

My own team-mate did it once and was duly fined two weeks’ wages

“Randy [Lerner, the club chairman] has been very supportive of Paul [Lambert, the manager] and the latter actually supported the decision. And keep in mind that those outed have been at four different clubs with Paul.”

I put the various rumours to him that there had been a coming together before the Crystal Palace game on Saturday, which Villa lost 1-0 at Selhurst Park, and that one of the players went home after the game by train.

It has been known; my own team-mate did it once and was duly fined two weeks’ wages.

“There has been plenty of hearsay, mate,” my friend said. “All of which is wrong. This week, I’ve had four different newspapers ring me asking about those same rumours.

“All of them are bollocks [he actually said that] and were dreamt up somewhere on the internet. The one about the player taking the train home was the worst. He was actually on the team bus with everyone else.”

There’s always a little more to it than that, though. The bottom line is that Lerner has stood by Lambert, as my friend rightly said, but only because Lambert has agreed, somewhere along the line, to never mention the fact that he has no real money to spend.

Lambert is an extension of Lerner’s business model for Villa, which is to stay in the Premier League using a mixture of cheap foreign imports and home-grown youth.

Lambert is an extension of Lerner’s business model for Villa

Take Lerner’s quotes yesterday as the example. Here is a man who is notoriously reclusive, rarely makes any statement and, yet, his first public offering of the year is a ringing endorsement of his manger’s abilities.

“Our manager has been faced with some unexpected issues,” Lerner said. “In watching him handle matters, I’ve seen total loyalty and commitment to Aston Villa.”

Keep in mind that Villa are 14th in the Premier League and just four points off the relegation places.

But my friend is adamant. “This is a genuine case of ‘wanting to do something’ before the end of the season in order to get a reaction from the players,” he said. “In our last game, the fans were calling for Paul’s head, so the club felt it needed to do something.”

The new recruits were already in the building. Development coach Gordan Cowans is a “god” at Villa and has no doubt been promoted to give the managerial side of things a more likeable face.

The lads at Villa love Given; everybody, for that matter, loves Given

“But Shay Given [the goalkeeper] was perhaps an odd choice,” my friend added, “especially given that Paul has largely frozen him out.”

It isn’t strange to me. Needs must where the bigger picture is concerned. The lads at Villa love Given; everybody, for that matter, loves Given.

One thing that I did think was a little odd, though, was the fact that Villa had suspended Culverhouse and Karsa rather than mutually agreeing to terminate their deals.

“Randy won’t pay for something if he doesn’t have to,” my friend said.

Click

Was about to argue that us playing boring football is a fact but then I remembered every now and then I see a guy at my local train station taking photos of the trains and jotting down their numbers in his little notepad, so each to there own I guess.

What station? It might have been me...

Next...

So now we are delving into philosophy? I didn't realise determining the ability of a manager was that hard.

I think therefore I am........absolutely convinced that Lambert is a shite manager.

Â