Paul Lambert

limpid

For me the truth is that Lambert has now padded a tiny squad out with more choices in every position for a fee that Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc spend on a single player. and thats why I expected a season of "treading water" this year and IMO that is what we're seeing.

Isn't the problem though that we're not "treading water". That implies a bit of consistency. To extend the metaphor, we have been underwater most of the season, plummeting the depths, and have come up for air just enough times (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Southampton, West Brom, Norwich) to keep us just about safe. WE HOPE!

He was just on SSN now, Pete Colley really pushed him into answering the question but he didn't give anything away didn't seem happy though.

Well that proves it - Lambert is one of us! We don't seem happy at all either. :P

For me the truth is that Lambert has now padded a tiny squad out with more choices in every position for a fee that Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc spend on a single player. and thats why I expected a season of "treading water" this year and IMO that is what we're seeing.

Isn't the problem though that we're not "treading water". That implies a bit of consistency. To extend the metaphor, we have been underwater most of the season, plummeting the depths, and have come up for air just enough times (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Southampton, West Brom, Norwich) to keep us just about safe. WE HOPE!

I think the metaphors are muddying the waters

Now that everyone is aware that Lambert doesn't actually coach the Villa squad and that he prefers to control things from a distance, things look more than a little bit awkward for him. The two other members of his coaching and management team have let him down badly, and it seems that until recently he wasn't aware that things were going pear shaped. Either that or perhaps he knew but was not strong enough to do anything about it. PL cannot continue as Villa manager next season after clearly losing control (for what ever reason).

A Premiership manager has to be either a very good coach or a top man manager and motivator (preferably a mix of all three). Lambert appears to lack all of these skills. Being a decent bloke who is loyal and trustworthy is sadly not enough. 

• Like 1

Lambert insists he wants to be at the club next season, and 'loves' the job despite the backlash he has received from fans.

'I’ve all intention to be here. You’ve just got to do your job day-by-day and go from there. That’s what I’m here to do.

'The support from Randy, as I’ve said before, I only ever talk about it when people ask me about it.

'He’s the owner and chairman of this club and he can do what he wants. But I still have a great relationship, forget football, talking to him is good. But everybody knows what football is like.

'I love it here. It’s a great club, great fanbase, I never came to Aston Villa to be like this. No chance. The club is too big to be where it is.

'I recognised that when I came through the door on day one. This club should not have been where it has for the last four years.'

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Lambert insists he wants to be at the club next season, and 'loves' the job despite the backlash he has received from fans.

'I’ve all intention to be here. You’ve just got to do your job day-by-day and go from there. That’s what I’m here to do.

'The support from Randy, as I’ve said before, I only ever talk about it when people ask me about it.

'He’s the owner and chairman of this club and he can do what he wants. But I still have a great relationship, forget football, talking to him is good. But everybody knows what football is like.

'I love it here. It’s a great club, great fanbase, I never came to Aston Villa to be like this. No chance. The club is too big to be where it is.

'I recognised that when I came through the door on day one. This club should not have been where it has for the last four years.'

He doesn't sound overly confident he will be here next season ?

He doesn't sound overly confident he will be here next season ?

He really doesn't does he? Sounds like a plea for his job.

Alex McLeish (May 07th 2012)

“I’d expect to be here next season and hope to win over the dissenting Villa fans,” he said. “But I need to get a consistent team on the pitch.

“I bought into a project with Randy Lerner and the board and Aston Villa FC that I would work with the club to try and reduce those wages.

“There might be some pain along the way with that and, sure enough, that has come to the fore, but I’d like to think I have shown leadership and stood up in times of adversity.

“Listen, I have taken a lot of weight on my shoulders this season. I was happy to take pressure off the players. I am not going to again next season though. They better get their finger out.

“I think Randy will be pretty pleased with yesterday’s outcome. He’s been very supportive in texts over the last few days, which indicates great support for me.”

7 days later he was sacked.

• Like 1

I can't be arsed to check, but it sounds almost word for word what McLeish came out with in the last few weeks before he got the chop.

Yep - The job is a poisoned challis. With the exception of Graham Taylor back in 1990 (who went on to manage England, another poisoned challis), every career of every Villa manager has gone down the pan upon them leaving the club. We seem to finish them off. 

"I love it here. It’s a great club, great fanbase, I never came to Aston Villa to be like this. No chance. The club is too big to be where it is."

Yes, I don't think any manager intentionally comes to a club to fail Paul.

Edited by Isa

Just glad he didn't say we're a sleeping giant that he wants to awaken, to quote what HairyHands said was his view.

Really tired of all this nonsense now. Surely it can't be that hard just to find a competent manager who can just build a decent squad and get consistent performances, even if we're not going to reach the heights Lerner once led us to dream of?

"I love it here. It’s a great club, great fanbase, I never came to Aston Villa to be like this. No chance. The club is too big to be where it is."

Some people on here have intimated differently. 

Well Lambert himself admits that it isn't good enough now, so that is sufficient for me.

Have they really?

Don't think anyone's suggested he has failed on purpose, not that I've seen anyway, this would be extremely odd.

Â