Paul Lambert

limpid

Oh great, a debate about the nature of truth. That's what I look to VT for. Here's a fact - water boils at 100 degrees. The chemical formula for water is H20.

Here isn't a fact - 'The Godfather' is a better film than 'Manos: The Hands Of Fate'. That might not be a fact, but it's a widely-held cultural belief, and you won't find too many people to take the other side of the argument. I don't find too many people taking the other side of the argument when I say Villa are s*** at home either, but you're welcome to start. Please tell me all of the ways in which you've been wowwed, awed and entertained by our worst ever home record performances.

And me, When you lived through Dr Joe then this is nothing lol

I remember that season. We'd just lost David Platt and were dreadful. Still, at least we beat Inter Milan at Villa Park in the European Cup and we still had Tony Daley:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFpNAOfyoI

(Sid is in this video as well.)

We just don't have players like this anymore.

Edited by Agbonla-score
  • Like 1

Joking aside, people have booed at some ridiculous points in games. There was a section of people booing when we brought Tonev on against Fulham. Ridiculous. There had also been people booing when Bennett's name was mentioned in the starting 11 at the start of the Chelsea game.

I wouldn't condone booing any of our players but you can understand why this happened for a number of reasons.

Ron Saunders built three teams.  

One to get us promoted into the First Division (Premiership to you youngsters) 74-77.

One that was the most Entertaining circa 1977-78 but fell away at end of season.

One that won the league and Euro Cup 78-80.  This was kicked off by selling Gray and Gidman and Cropley getting injured which was looked on as a disaster at the time. 

He took from 1974-1982 to build these teams and there was a lot of grumbling we were going backwards etc 78-80 but he was stubborn and stuck to his plan.

Ellis took about two years to dismantle all that has been built and 5 years to destroy when we got relegated.

Exactly - took time and patience from everyone. Remember also that if that old git Ellis had had his way Saunders would not have been manager and we would not have had the good times. It takes time and it takes having to take the really good with the really bad. Many fans at the time said the same about Saunders - he is shit and boring - but the club stuck with him and the fans (majority) too.

Think patience (and I don't mean just a couple of seasons in the case of Lambert) is a thing many have got. Us old ones have perhaps as we have been around a lot longer (pre Sky).

At least (for now) Lerner has not done what Ellis did - relegate us (maybe not for the want of trying to some). It takes a great chairman to take a team that was kings of Europe and fail to build on it but instead dismantle it.

• Like 1

So because a Ron Saunders team won the European Cup after 8 years, we should stick with a hopeless manager like Lambert? Why shouldn't we have stuck with McLeish? There's nothing whatsoever to demonstrate that Lambert is worth sticking with, nothing.

That's the thing with this stability for the sake of stability argument. No one wanted to stick with the previous manager.

So because a Ron Saunders team won the European Cup after 8 years, we should stick with a hopeless manager like Lambert?  Why shouldn't we have stuck with McLeish?  There's nothing whatsoever to demonstrate that Lambert is worth sticking with, nothing.

I keep saying it but the pain endured going through another new manager search is something to demonstrate that Lambert is worth sticking with. The only thing though :)

I remember that season. We'd just lost David Platt and were dreadful. Still, at least we beat Inter Milan at Villa Park in the European Cup and we still had Tony Daley:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFpNAOfyoI

Love the goal which starts at 2:52. McGrath intercepts and Daley breaks away.

Love the goal which starts at 2:52. McGrath intercepts and Daley breaks away.

Oh how I miss those Villa Park goal posts. And the Trinity Road Stand. And players wearing black boots 

• Like 2

Oh great, a debate about the nature of truth. That's what I look to VT for. Here's a fact - water boils at 100 degrees. The chemical formula for water is H20. 

Here isn't a fact - 'The Godfather' is a better film than 'Manos: The Hands Of Fate'. That might not be a fact, but it's a widely-held cultural belief, and you won't find too many people to take the other side of the argument. I don't find too many people taking the other side of the argument when I say Villa are s*** at home either, but you're welcome to start. Please tell me all of the ways in which you've been wowwed, awed and entertained by our worst ever home record performances. 

This is a very odd post.

The poster he was responding to presented an opinion as a fact - he was highlighting this error, nothing more. You've then inferred that he's happy with the performances by putting all sorts of words in his mouth.

The point, as you're surely able to divine, is that it is so obvious that we play rubbish, boring football - pacbuddies' point - that calling it a 'fact' is really an acceptable shorthand. Rather than calling the post 'very odd', I explicitly offered you the chance to tell me about the times you've been dazzled by our performances this season, and I notice that one poster did actually take that opportunity. But don't pretend like my point was hard to understand. 

I wouldn't call fact acceptable shorthand for opinion - that's the point. Now you're inferring that I'm defending the performances, just as you did with the other poster on the previous page.

I don't propose to continue this argument, nobody wants or needs to read it. Enjoy the rest of your day. 

Just to play Top Trumps with a few posters in this thread - My following of Villa goes back to just before our demise to the 3rd division (so think 1970ish) - I was "lured" by the Tommy Doc spin. So I have seen some very poor times, some crap football, I was there in Rotterdam to see the total opposite and have seen the side play some wow type football.

Under Lambert though it is up there with the Billy McBingo days for being dire, weak, clueless. It is terrible and he is a terrible manager. There is nothing that he has shown that gives any indication that he has the necessary attributes to take the club forward. I have seen over the past two years some frankly outrageous claims to his abilities from (and I am paraphrasing) being the best of his generation through to someone that can take us back to champs league. There is nothing whatsoever that can show where these thoughts have come from other than a total blindness to him, his abilities and his approach to the job. I fully appreciate that all have differing opinions and so be it but they have to be backed up with a few facts. Also I know that Randy's actions in the past few years are certainly contributors to the mess we find ourselves in, but they are not the sole cause by a long shot

Hopefully the removal of two of his appointments is the start of the end for the dire mess he has dished up over his two years in charge

• Like 4

Can we draw up a list of years people were born? I think we need to look at who is allowed an opinion. Anybody born after 1980 doesn't count? Age is certainly the best way to choose who knows better!

Can we include Methuselah in that? He was born a Villa fan in 687 AD before Villa had even been invented. He's also a big Paul Lambert fan. :P  & so sagacious ;)

Edited by villa-revolution

Can we draw up a list of years people were born? I think we need to look at who is allowed an opinion. Anybody born after 1980 doesn't count? Age is certainly the best way to choose who knows better!

Can we include Methusela in that? He was born a Villa fan in 687 AD before Villa had even been invented. He's also a big Paul Lambert fan. :P  & so sagacious ;)

I knew his dad

• Like 2

Can we include Methusela in that? He was born a Villa fan in 687 AD before Villa had even been invented. He's also a big Paul Lambert fan. :P  & so sagacious ;)

I knew his dad

Yes. He was the local milk man. ;)

Â