Paul Lambert

limpid

Don't worry, when we are in League One, people will still be saying 'I will judge him after the next few games, i really think he will be an important manager in this clubs history' :D

Unlikely isn't it. 

Here we go again, because people are noticing the failings of Lambert, it has to be a 'Personal Grudge' or a 'Personal Vendetta'. If Isa wants to repeatedly share his feelings on the club, so be it, it's a forum, didnt realise you were a mod.

It's not just Mat Kendrick saying how he feels either, so this 'Personal' tirade is just rubbish : http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-aston-villa-4979624

To be fair, he was referring only to Kendrick with the 'personal grudge' bit in that post. But yeah, God forbid that independent journalists might not act simply as extentions of the club's PR machine and actually air their own opinions on the state of the club.

I was referring to some posters in general mate claiming 'personal' issues.

So you're adding nothing to the debate, you just want to reinforce the divide?

What is it with people and internet forums? Can't you just debate the matter at hand without resorting to childishness? 

• Like 1

It needs to keep being repeated whilst Lambert embarrassingly remains in employment at this club - it's as simple as that really.

No, it does not. And certainly not multiple times in one week from the same person who is evidently bearing a grudge. How does it help the club/team? It is becoming very similar to the vitriolic abuse Steve Kean received by Blackburn supporters, targeting and accusing one man for all of the club's woes. It is simply vile, and only helps to create a poisonous atmosphere.  .

If you want to read sanctimonious drivel that avoids the reality of the situation in a Pravda-style ignoring of the truth, try the www.avfc.co.uk news section.  Kendrick's job isn't to "help the situation" it's to be a reporter.   And the best way I can think of to rid the club of its poisonous atmosphere would to be to get rid of the incompetent in charge who has presided over such a litany of failures.

Maybe you should try the my little pony forums. They all get on nicely over there. No debates to hurt your feelings.

That's pretty classy.

If you don't like what is in the thread then don't **** read it.

Or the ignore button is right there.

Don't cry about two people using the forum for the exact purpose it was created.

He has a 4 year contract. He has just been given money in the January and it seems likely there will be more still.

He's not going anywhere. Not now. And not at the end of the season.

My original concern (and now my belief) with Lambert is that once given "better" players we would still not improve. With Gil and (perhaps) Sinclair joining, I am hoping against hope that he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

It needs to keep being repeated whilst Lambert embarrassingly remains in employment at this club - it's as simple as that really.

No, it does not. And certainly not multiple times in one week from the same person who is evidently bearing a grudge. How does it help the club/team? It is becoming very similar to the vitriolic abuse Steve Kean received by Blackburn supporters, targeting and accusing one man for all of the club's woes. It is simply vile, and only helps to create a poisonous atmosphere.  .

If you want to read sanctimonious drivel that avoids the reality of the situation in a Pravda-style ignoring of the truth, try the www.avfc.co.uk news section.  Kendrick's job isn't to "help the situation" it's to be a reporter.   And the best way I can think of to rid the club of its poisonous atmosphere would to be to get rid of the incompetent in charge who has presided over such a litany of failures.

Exactly, my thoughts entirely. How anyone can still support him or state that we should give him 'the next few games' is totally beyond me.

We have had two and half years of abject failure, relegation battles, hit and hope tactics, lack of any Plan B, lack of goals, boring football and dwindling crowds. But seemingly we should  give him more time.

The only credit I will give Lambert is he has been reasonably successful in the transfer market such that there is a half decent squad at the club. That just makes what I have said above that much worse. 

Quite frankly I dread every trip to Villa Park as I have absolutely no confidence that we can beat any side we play there.

I don't like Kendrick's writing style but I can't see a lot wrong with what he has wrote (apart from the terrible puns/jokes).  He is speaking as a passionate fan.

I'd actually prefer a Birmingham Mail football journalist to speak as an objective reporter; we have enough passionate fans on VT...

• Like 2

It's badly written, full of cliches and poorly punctuated, I'll give you that, but then I've never liked Kendrick's writing style and he desperately needs a better copy editor. But bitter? Isn't it just saying what a lot of us have been saying for a long time? It's clearly presented as an opinion piece rather than fact, so I have no problem with it.

The article tells it how it is and he is entitled to express his opinion and that is what it is....his opinion. However it is one shared by many fans. I have no problem with it either.

• Like 1

I don't like Kendrick's writing style but I can't see a lot wrong with what he has wrote (apart from the terrible puns/jokes).  He is speaking as a passionate fan.

I'd actually prefer a Birmingham Mail football journalist to speak as an objective reporter; we have enough passionate fans on VT...

I thought it was an opinion piece rather than an article?

• Like 1

This is pretty much the exact point r.e: his transfers being relatively successful and, also, him having a lack of proper funding.  Some people post about "net spend" over Lambert's reign - it's completely irrelevant; not least a] because we had to start from scratch in terms of building a new squad (high wages, badly run club; other clubs haven't needed to do this) b] we had no desirable assets to sell on (high wages, happy to collect a nice, phat pay cheque) and c] because we haven't received, say, £30m in a window to spend on talent - we've had money dribbled out over 3 seasons. 

...most people (I think?) would say we have a "decent enough" squad but are still short in terms of quality.  So whilst Leicester are spending £9m on a player who Chelsea went in for (much like Okore, I suppose), we're spending £3.2m on an up and coming midfielder.  

Firstly, Lambert didn't have to start from scratch to build a new squad. His starting point was taking over a squad that finished 16th and was deemed as underachieving.On top of that he then spent about £26m in his first season with a remit, to reduce the wage bill ,and IMO would have had the decisions on which players he would need to move on, over a period of time, in order to achieve that.

As for having no desirable assets to sell on  - total nonsense. Darren Bent as an example had scored 18 league goals (for Villa) in 37 league starts before Lambert turned up.  His value depreciated due to the tactics Lambert employed and then the dense decision to put him in the bomb squad. Other managers have been able to get more out of players on high wages and get them motivated and get decent performances out of them. 

The net funding (Lambert has had) is more than 55% of the league teams so there is no excuse in relation to transfer fees.

An important point to make that is often overlooked is that part of a managers job is to also SELL players and preferably at their maximum value. Assuming Delph and Vlaar leave for free in the summer (as looks a decent possibility) then Lambert will have let 25 players go during his time at the club and recouped less than £5m for the lot of them. Terrible.

As for Leicester we got beat by them convincingly with a lot of their best players out. The point about them spending £9m kind of misses the wider point that even with that signing Lambert has spent double what they have since he has been in charge.

He did have to create a squad from scratch.  McLeish would've had to create a squad from scratch had he stayed in the job.  That is underlying problem to everything.  We have been run terribly and unsustainably.  A quick glance at Wiki tells me we lost Reo Coker, Carew, Friedel, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing and Luke Young at the start of McLeish's season.  That's essentially 5 first team players and one squad player gone of which we only received a fee for 2 players.  McLeish then brought in Given, N'Zogbia and Hutton on God knows what contracts (again, poorly run).  So we haven't adequately invested there.  Then we lose Collins, Cuellar and Heskey at the start of Lambert's first season - not stellar players by any stretch of the imagination but, again, for minimal fees.  6 first team players and 3 first team squad players left us in one year - we recouped fees (£38m?) on 3 of them and made sure we had at least Bent, Given and N'Zogbia on silly, expensive contracts from the off.  Lambert's fault for not selling them all though; even before he was appointed manager - of course.

The squad needed re-creating.  Benteke at £7/8m represents one third of his spend that first year - he brought in 9 players.  He's spent roughly £20m since then.  It's nowhere near enough to replace the players that were lost - nowhere near enough.  This is why the bit in bold in your post is complete crap.  It doesn't take into account any circumstances before his appointment.  Net spend simply doesn't factor circumstances.  It doesn't take into account promotion or relegation or whatever.  It's not representative of the quality of the playing staff already there.  Particularly in this instance, it doesn't take into account the money received from the sales we did make at the start of the McLeish season.  McLeish's net spend is probably **** awesome - maybe the best ratio in the league.  That hangover comes into play for the 2nd season; those players still needed replacing and they hadn't been.  But since net spend is mainly ties in with the financial situation at a club...

...you say no desirable assets to sell on is "total nonsense".  Where are all these clubs that have been queuing up to buy Darren Bent?  Charles N'Zogbia?  Gabby Agbonlahor?  Shay Given?  Alan Hutton?  Stephen Irel... actually, I guess he was sold; probably for about £500k.  Brett Holman, brought in on a free, then left on a free.  The most money we've received for a player since July 2011 has been £2m for James Collins - as you say, terrible.  We had/have a whole heap of players whose wages didn't marry up with their talents and who were on ridiculous contracts.  But yeah, sure, plenty of desirable assets to sell.  Again, Lambert has done a shocking job not managing to persuade a club to part with cash and then also pay Darren Bent or Charles N'Zogbia in excess of £60k/wk, you're completely right.  100% his fault.

(As an aside, the point on my part about Leicester's spend is poor.  They'll have been structured as a Championship club and will likely have more money to spend on players this season as they've essentially "gained" a shagload of money.  I should imagine their net spend would be pretty high too.  Again, it's an incredibly misleading statistic.)

• Like 4

My original concern (and now my belief) with Lambert is that once given "better" players we would still not improve. With Gil and (perhaps) Sinclair joining, I am hoping against hope that he proves me wrong.

Why do you believe that?

What examples are there of managers doing worse than they usually do when they get better players?

Why do you believe that?

What examples are there of managers doing worse than they usually do when they get better players?

This season! We have a stronger squad yet we are playing awful!! Lambert hasn't got a clue who or what his best team tactics are. Stupid things like cup tieing Robinson for instants are just one of a lot of little things that he seems to be messing up on and all those little things are becoming a massive issue.

We don't know what he says to the players, or what he does in training, we just ASSUME he's saying the wrong things because of what we see on the pitch, but it's complete guesswork because we haven't seen the same set of players play the same game under a different manager.

I give Lambert the dignity of believing that the players are playing as he directs/coaches them. If it's possible that he is coaching them one way and they are playing a completely different way, then his failure as a manager is complete and more absolute than even I imagined.

• Like 1

Why do you believe that?

So the option there is to keep throwing money at Lambert until he can afford expensive enough players to make him seem like a good manager?

For me there's no question that if you gave Lambert better players then the team would do better; that petty much goes without saying. The question for many of us is whether or not he would get the most out of those players, and since he's not getting the most out of the current team I would say that the answer is fairly obvious.

Lambert has many, many perceived* negatives. The transfer market it most definitely not one of them.

At least let the poor fella have one thing! Must we take everything positive from him?

*Edited for Crackpot ;)

What, you mean the way that Lambert has taken everything positive out of Aston Villa?

Come on, you must have known someone was going to say that! ;)

Well as its not true, no I didn't expect it. ;)

Really? That joke was such an open goal I was genuinely surprised nobody had made it before me. Although it's villa, so people probably have a problem recognising goals these days...

Ha ha! I am a comedian.

Edited by Villanun

Â