Paul Lambert

limpid

If you have that many players not willing to fight then there is a reason for that? How many teams over the years look not arsed and rubbish and then when a new guy takes over it a completely new dynamic? We even had it with o'neill initially.

I agree we could get a short term boost by sacking Lambert. It might be necessary if things carry on the way they are.

But we shouldn't expect to land a very good one with finances the way they are. We'd just end up with another manager whose popularity has a constant downward trajectory.

The current manager is a calm head in a crisis. He is happy enough to be working in the current conditions. He is slowly improving the team. Sacking him would put is either in a slightly better position or a much, much worse one.

I agree with the last bit but the slowly improving bit is just completely untrue, every single stat will tell you that infact we are getting worse over time the only thing thats improved lately is possession and Lambert has contradicted himself on that subject.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, in the long run we'll be better for the passing game we're trying play, as long as we're brave and stick to it.

Did Dortmund start their journey to the Champions League by playing absolute shite possession football with no penetration?

I'm actually asking. I hope the answer is yes

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, in the long run we'll be better for the passing game we're trying play, as long as we're brave and stick to it.

Did Dortmund start their journey to the Champions League by playing absolute shite possession football with no penetration?

That's the thing people just want us to play in the fashion that's the current fad, so now Germany and Bayern are all the rage. A couple of years ago everyone wanted us to play the passing game because at the time Barelona and Spain were doing so well. What we're trying to do now is an whole lot better than hoof ball we'd previously been playing.

Don't forget sideways as it is a very important part of our game.

• Like 4

Don't forget sideways as it is a very important part of our game.

Yes, all sorts of ways as long as it's not just hopefully smacking the ball forward everytime.

That's the thing people just want us to play in the fashion that's the current fad, so now Germany and Bayern are all the rage. A couple of years ago everyone wanted us to play the passing game because at the time Barelona and Spain were doing so well. What we're trying to do now is an whole lot better than hoof ball we'd previously been playing.

But with similar or worse results.

12 points from 17 games is horrendous form over half a season of games.

Ahhh, I think im getting it now. We tried the Lambert way, fail. We tried the counter attacking ONeil way, fail. We try the Guardiola passing game, fail. So all we are waiting for is the Bayern system.  Can't wait!!

The sad thing is that I fear even if we lose to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (forget Bournemouth as the FA Cup is a side show in our current plight) some fans will accept it as they are 'big clubs' and we could not possibly be expected to compete with them.

Why do you "fear" this?  I, personally, expect 0 points from those games.  I should imagine you do too.  In fact, I should imagine most fans do.  If this happens and we drop down to, say, 18th place, the problem won't have been those particular 3 games persay, but more the form over the more winnable games we've had recently.  That has been more of a concern, for me.

That said, as Stevo puts, it'll be more about how we play than the scoreline.  If we lose all 3 and play how we did against Leicester, that's basically not on.  If we lose all 3 and play a generally decent game, I'd be "ok" with it.

The problem is I think people expect us to lose those 3 games and only hope we can beat Bournemouth. I have never in my life as a Villa fan gone into games expecting us to lose. I have always had a belief no matter how slim that we'd get a result especially at home. For me Lambert is lowering expectations so when we do fail its not so bad. That is something I can't live with. We all know the constraints and the position we are in but I'm fed up with the negativity. There's a video of Lambert when he did a football forum at Norwich and he's a jovial bloke. Then he comes to Villa and turns into a dour bloke. The performances of late mirror his persona. Any team can beat any other on any given day he should be trying to gee up the fans the players and everything but even if the excuses are valid he keeps repeating them to lower expectations. His latest quotes are awful in this respect. IMO the current squad is Underperforing but in Lamberts eyes it seems it's doing exactly as it should. Aim for the moon you may hit the stars Aim for survival and there's only one failure!!!

• Like 2

Ahhh, I think im getting it now. We tried the Lambert way, fail. We tried the counter attacking ONeil way, fail. We try the Guardiola passing game, fail. So all we are waiting for is the Bayern system.  Can't wait!!
How about the Big Ron Way??? That seemed to to do ok!!

He did have to create a squad from scratch.  

He had to make amendments to the squad by removing and adding players. He did not have to create it from scratch. As an example Gabby was there before Lambo turned up and remains there now.

He's spent roughly £20m since then.  It doesn't take into account any circumstances before his appointment.  Net spend simply doesn't factor circumstances.  It doesn't take into account promotion or relegation or whatever.  It's not representative of the quality of the playing staff already there.  Particularly in this instance, it doesn't take into account the money received from the sales we did make at the start of the McLeish season.  McLeish's net spend is probably **** awesome - maybe the best ratio in the league.  That hangover comes into play for the 2nd season; those players still needed replacing and they hadn't been.  But since net spend is mainly ties in with the financial situation at a club...

He has spent closer to £30m since then.

It does take into account circumstances - we know what the starting point was when he took over.

It does take into account all the teams in our league and what they've spent (net) in the same time period as Lambo.

McLeish managed to get 16th (considered as not good enough and was sacked) despite selling Young & Downing. Why would the hangover come into play the second season and not the first?!

Where are all these clubs that have been queuing up to buy Darren Bent?

(As an aside, the point on my part about Leicester's spend is poor.  They'll have been structured as a Championship club and will likely have more money to spend on players this season as they've essentially "gained" a shagload of money.  I should imagine their net spend would be pretty high too.  Again, it's an incredibly misleading statistic.)

Bent's stock was high when Lambert took over and his value depreciated during Lambert's tenure.  Ipswich got a transfer fee for him, Charlton did, Spurs did and Sunderland did. 

Sticking him in the bomb squad vastly reduced his value hence why after Lambert's first season we were looking at a small fee or a loan (as it turned out). Silly decision. 

Yes, Leicester should have more money to spend this season which is totally logical. Saying that Lambert has still spent (net) more than double what Leicester have since he became the Villa manager and that includes this expensive new signing Leicester have made.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Ideally I would love us to be able to mix possession play with counter Attacking, swift counter attacks used to be our trademark and at times we have looked lethal doing so. WTF happened?!

Trus mi ,, him dun , dup plate dry up , we afe call in radication squad .

• Like 1

Considering I am a fan who is appalled at the state of our club....However,I am against a protest.

Please let me explain my thoughts

I have been involved in protests long ago to remove HDE....They say time is a great healer, it equally gives you wisdom and a moment to reflect. I am not quite the anti -Hde man as I once was, but then DON'T construe that as a supporter of his actions...i am merely saying that some of his good things are missing now, Discipline at the club and like a decision to act when most around you agree.

Doug had his faults, some are tattooed in my brain....but this guy whilst having some quite different ones can be equally frustrating.

back to the football

We have a battle to fight against Liverpool and as fans we do not want to give the manager or the players any excuses to come back at us the fans and say YOU ruined it for us, we could have won if you had of got behind us....The other consideration is that whilst the Birmingham Mail report 68% of fans from their poll want Lambert out, it is just an opinion, one I actually agree with, but hey just remember this.

none of us have a monopoly on what is right and what is wrong, we all have our opinions..... even if there is just one supporter that turns up on Saturday to support the team, they reserve the right to support, unhindered by protesters. Thats their job if they feel mentally well enough to do so.

Personally, I feel i have no right, to ruin other fans fun( well it takes all sorts), I feel, as I love the club, that in the frame of mind I am in, I will best serve the club by not attending. after being a season ticket holder for most of my life, it hurts to not go down every week as i used to, but it is what it is.

I believe the staff at Aston Villa do not set out to be failures or halfsoaked, but there comes a time when results like we have experienced cannot continue and someone has to be responsible, Some say Paul Lambert has bought well in the transfer market, well buying players as important as it is, is only party of it.....The results would argue with that.

Paul comes across to me, as a very nice guy, one you wouldn't find much trouble having a pint with, tragically it hasn't worked out for him, but for his own sake, he needs to get out of it, because it ain't working.

I think the problem with our club is that there are too many staff out of their depth... when Doug left we were all rejoicing, but then too many left as well, like Steve stride...it ripped every bit of Nous out of the club.

Sadly, guys, we are in a mess, but don't protest on Saturday, if you feel so pissed off with it all, let the ones, who don't feel so pissed off, have their day and walk away.

UTV

Edited by TRO

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

Villa remain the only side in the Premier League yet to see a single substitute score or assist a goal for them this season.

Also. incredibly just three goals have been scored by substitutes during Lambert’s entire 97-game top-flight reign.

Doesn't sound like someone with the tactical nous to manage this great club. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

Sadly there is only one language business people understand....all the moans and groans are classed as restless natives, by the powers that be.

starve the revenue, is like denying a fire,oxygen.

Â