Paul Lambert

limpid

. Make no mistake the national media are enjoying our fall, it is a good laugh for them because we are giving them great material on-the-pitch and off it.

And yet you constantly defend the manager who serves up the shit that is causing us to be a laughing stock.

• Like 3

. Make no mistake the national media are enjoying our fall, it is a good laugh for them because we are giving them great material on-the-pitch and off it.

And yet you constantly defend the manager who serves up the shit that is causing us to be a laughing stock.

Who is employed by the owner who has made him cut costs and given him barely anything to spend on wages and fees. I say this because it's way too easy to bitch at either point of view – Lambert is clueless, or Lambert is underfunded, and I think this website could do without endless repeated identical arguments. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 3

There's a lot to be said about the amount of money Lambert's been given, and we're under no illusions that it's not enough to be competing for Europa. 

That being said, the way we're playing at the moment, could you see us beating an Ipswich side that cost £10K to construct and currently sit in 3rd in the Championship? 

There's a lot to be said about the amount of money Lambert's been given, and we're under no illusions that it's not enough to be competing for Europa. 

That being said, the way we're playing at the moment, could you see us beating an Ipswich side that cost £10K to construct and currently sit in 3rd in the Championship?

This. Talking about what Lambert could have done with more money is a distraction - the only really salient point is whether you feel he's getting as much out of the team he's got as he should be.

• Like 1

I for one am glad that the local and national media have suddenly started to publicise the dire situation that we have been putting up with for longer than most, if not all, other clubs fans would have put up with.

The sad thing is that I fear even if we lose to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (forget Bournemouth as the FA Cup is a side show in our current plight) some fans will accept it as they are 'big clubs' and we could not possibly be expected to compete with them.

If the aforementioned scenario were to happen where would we then be in the league and what affect would it have on the players and the fans going forward for the remainder of the season?

If protests go ahead it will only be because those fans that participate are so frustrated and what more can they realistically do (other than not attend matches which is not going to happen for the majority)?

There is no right or wrong with protesting or not protesting. Each person must do what they believe is the best thing to do in the circumstances.

This might be the wrong thread but what the heck, it involves Paul Lambert.

Edited by pacbuddies

It'll be how we play that I judge our next 3 games on.

If we lose all three but I genuinely feel like we've played well or given 100% then I'll be ok with it. I won't be ok witho our situation as a whole, just those games in isolation.

The game against man City this season I was fine with as I felt, despite the loss, we gave it a good go and if Man City turn it on as they did towards the end of that game it's a tough ask to get anything out of it.

The everton or Arsenal game I was not happy with, despite the similar scoreline.

If we go down with a whimper in these three games then I'll be annoyed.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that I fear even if we lose to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (forget Bournemouth as the FA Cup is a side show in our current plight) some fans will accept it as they are 'big clubs' and we could not possibly be expected to compete with them.

Why do you "fear" this?  I, personally, expect 0 points from those games.  I should imagine you do too.  In fact, I should imagine most fans do.  If this happens and we drop down to, say, 18th place, the problem won't have been those particular 3 games persay, but more the form over the more winnable games we've had recently.  That has been more of a concern, for me.

That said, as Stevo puts, it'll be more about how we play than the scoreline.  If we lose all 3 and play how we did against Leicester, that's basically not on.  If we lose all 3 and play a generally decent game, I'd be "ok" with it.

Make no mistake the national media are enjoying our fall, it is a good laugh for them because we are giving them great material on-the-pitch and off it.

I'm pretty sure the national media don't care that much that we've been a laughing stock for the past few years. Why should they?

The fact is we are team that is constantly fighting relegation, playing poor football, have fans who are fed up, an owner who wants to sell and has no interest in the club, a manager who most people either don't want here or just think we can't get any better given our situation. Most people couldn't give a shit if we were to be relegated and the national media are no different.

Our biggest success in the last 15 years is getting to two cup finals and losing both of them! Of course history is important but as of today it has no bearing on our future. If we are relegated (could very well happen) we'll probably just become another Bolton, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Blackburn for the next 5 years at least. We can't keep fighting relegation every season, we will lose one of the battles.

• Like 1

Why do you "fear" this?  I, personally, expect 0 points from those games.  I should imagine you do too.  In fact, I should imagine most fans do.  If this happens and we drop down to, say, 18th place, the problem won't have been those particular 3 games persay, but more the form over the more winnable games we've had recently.  That has been more of a concern, for me.

That said, as Stevo puts, it'll be more about how we play than the scoreline.  If we lose all 3 and play how we did against Leicester, that's basically not on.  If we lose all 3 and play a generally decent game, I'd be "ok" with it.

I don't fear losing these games (based on the past performances it is highly likely). What I meant was that I fear some fans will just accept it as we cannot possibly be expected to compete with them (and we really should and need to compete with them).

I don't fear losing these games (based on the past performances it is highly likely). What I meant was that I fear some fans will just accept it as we cannot possibly be expected to compete with them (and we really should and need to compete with them).

There's a difference between being able to compete and expecting to get a result.  I suppose this is what you're alluding to?  After all, we're about a million miles behind Chelsea and Arsenal in particular right now - 0 points expected - but we should still be capable of turning in a performance of sorts.

I understand your point entirely.  However, we're getting towartds the business end of the season now, and with the next 3 games, it could very well be 0 points and 0 goals, which added to recent results would break our 6 game scoreless streak from earlier this season, and if that happens, I'm not sure we'll recover from it.

• Like 2

It'll be how we play that I judge our next 3 games on.

If we lose all three but I genuinely feel like we've played well or given 100% then I'll be ok with it. I won't be ok witho our situation as a whole, just those games in isolation.

The game against man City this season I was fine with as I felt, despite the loss, we gave it a good go and if Man City turn it on as they did towards the end of that game it's a tough ask to get anything out of it.

The everton or Arsenal game I was not happy with, despite the similar scoreline.

If we go down with a whimper in these three games then I'll be annoyed.

Whilst obviously against the better teams it is better to perform well even in defeat unfortunately as has been shown it is no indication of improvement or as to how we are likely to perform agaisnt sides we are better than or on a par with.

As you said we performed admirably against Man City earlier in the season but in the two games that followed against a struggling Everton and bottom of the league QPR we were absolutely dire. More recently we played well against Man Utd and since we have picked up just two points and played games against dire sides in Sunderland, Palace, Blackpool and Leicester and played poorly.

I think this weekends game is massive going forward. I think a defeat or a non scoring draw and Lambert is going to get dogs abuse possibly during the game but certainly on full time. Then in the days to follow the pressure on him may well become too much both from supporters and in the media.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

There has been an apathy in place at the club for a long time now.  The players, backroom staff, manager and owner need a rocket up their asses.  I don't hold out much hope for this protest but it may just work.  Lambert needs to address it at his press conference today.

Yeah I don't disagree. And we've seen many times before where we've had games where we've said "if we play like that against the teams around us we'll be fine" but then we never play like that again!

Still, that's no reason, for me anyway, to not judge the next 3 games on their own merits.

All we can do against teams like Chelsea is play out of our skin. If they have an off day we'll be in a position to beat them. If they play 100% as well then they'll more than likely still beat us, but I can't complain if we give it our all.

It's been a long time since we played like that though

• Like 1

You only have to look at Southampton to gauge what has happened to us, where we are and what could happen with a decent owner and manager!! 

We WERE southampton a few years ago. It's not what could happen, it's what did happen.

The difference will (or might) be if Southampton actually make the top 4 or sustain their financial input if they don't.

We were not quite Southampton then as they now have a new stadium and have been relegated and then promoted and now they have a decent side after all they sold the best part of a team in the summer and they are doing better with what they have now than last season and with a different manager!

We were not quite Southampton then as they now have a new stadium and have been relegated and then promoted and now they have a decent side after all they sold the best part of a team in the summer and they are doing better with what they have now than last season and with a different manager!

New decent manager syndrome.

• Like 1

His point was that like Southampton we were once challenging for the top 4 and flying high but unlike Southampton most of the money was spent poorly, we didn't have a manager anywhere near as good as Koeman  and we didn't have a youth setup as good as Southampton's (which is probably the best in the country).

• Like 1

Â