Paul Lambert

limpid

We don't know what he says to the players, or what he does in training, we just ASSUME he's saying the wrong things because of what we see on the pitch, but it's complete guesswork because we haven't seen the same set of players play the same game under a different manager.

I give Lambert the dignity of believing that the players are playing as he directs/coaches them. If it's possible that he is coaching them one way and they are playing a completely different way, then his failure as a manager is complete and more absolute than even I imagined.

Come on mate, he's a football manager, not a choreographer.

• Like 3

My original concern (and now my belief) with Lambert is that once given "better" players we would still not improve. With Gil and (perhaps) Sinclair joining, I am hoping against hope that he proves me wrong.

Why do you believe that?

What examples are there of managers doing worse than they usually do when they get better players?

It's been answered well by others already - but basically this team is stronger than in our other Lambert seasons, yet I see little to no improvement.

It needs to keep being repeated whilst Lambert embarrassingly remains in employment at this club - it's as simple as that really.

No, it does not. And certainly not multiple times in one week from the same person who is evidently bearing a grudge. How does it help the club/team? It is becoming very similar to the vitriolic abuse Steve Kean received by Blackburn supporters, targeting and accusing one man for all of the club's woes. It is simply vile, and only helps to create a poisonous atmosphere.  .

I must have missed the announcement that Villa had appointed Kendrick to the club's PR team? Didn't know that had happened. I assumed he was still a journalist at the Mail, ie. an outsider who is perfectly free to express his opinion. 

Maybe he has a vendetta. Who cares? Everything he wrote in that article was totally accurate, and if it helps, in any small way, with forcing Lambert out the door, then good. 

• Like 2

It needs to keep being repeated whilst Lambert embarrassingly remains in employment at this club - it's as simple as that really.

No, it does not. And certainly not multiple times in one week from the same person who is evidently bearing a grudge. How does it help the club/team? It is becoming very similar to the vitriolic abuse Steve Kean received by Blackburn supporters, targeting and accusing one man for all of the club's woes. It is simply vile, and only helps to create a poisonous atmosphere.  .

Here we go again, because people are noticing the failings of Lambert, it has to be a 'Personal Grudge' or a 'Personal Vendetta'. If Isa wants to repeatedly share his feelings on the club, so be it, it's a forum, didnt realise you were a mod.

It's not just Mat Kendrick saying how he feels either, so this 'Personal' tirade is just rubbish :  http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-aston-villa-4979624

What are you talking about? I would appreciate it if you actually read my post before joining in and making ignorant comments. People can repeat what they like, and as much as they like, on VT. Likewise I have the opportunity to reply as I see fit too. Just as I have the right to question a journalist's motives regarding countless newspaper articles on the same subject in the same week. Rightly or wrongly, I am afforded the chance to express my opinion and so is everybody else. 

For the record, I have been critical of Lambert's management in the past and fully acknowledge his failings. I want us to make improvements, generally disagreeing with other supporters on how we achieve that aim. Why are you using what I said about Kendrick's motives and attaching that to everybody who is critical of Lambert? I am confused? I guess you were being a smart arse?

Nice link. By the way, you do know Brian Reade is a steadfast Liverpool supporter? I am sure it would absolutely delight him to see our fans at each other's throats with a game coming up against his boys. Make no mistake the national media are enjoying our fall, it is a good laugh for them because we are giving them great material on-the-pitch and off it.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

My original concern (and now my belief) with Lambert is that once given "better" players we would still not improve. With Gil and (perhaps) Sinclair joining, I am hoping against hope that he proves me wrong.

Why do you believe that?

What examples are there of managers doing worse than they usually do when they get better players?

It's been answered well by others already - but basically this team is stronger than in our other Lambert seasons, yet I see little to no improvement.

And the season isn't over yet. 

Maybe he has a vendetta. Who cares? Everything he wrote in that article was totally accurate, and if it helps, in any small way, with forcing Lambert out the door, then good. 

Everything in this article: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/comment-should-aston-villa-sack-8443794

is "totally accurate" as well. There are two sides to the argument.

We aren't at all sure of being able to identify and attract someone better.

Lambert has sorted out the defence, and this January is addressing the attacking creativity.

The owner doesn't want to sack him, and it's even possible that he can't afford to.

Now would seem like a very good time to give him and the team a little chance to show what they can do with the new signings, rather than pile pressure on.

• Like 2

At least 40% of the players in the last match day squad were here before Lambert. Considering the way players move on at clubs I wouldn't say that's recreating the squad. Include Delph who would be there and the figure moves to around half.

Everything in this article: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/comment-should-aston-villa-sack-8443794

Lambert has sorted out the defence, and this January is addressing the attacking creativity.

The owner doesn't want to sack him, and it's even possible that he can't afford to.

Now would seem like a very good time to give him and the team a little chance to show what they can do with the new signings, rather than pile pressure on.

I wonder at what point fear of relegation overcomes fear of "finding someone better"?

As for not being able to afford to sack Lambert....

... why, then, extend his contract to 4 years?

I wonder at what point fear of relegation overcomes fear of "finding someone better"?

As for not being able to afford to sack Lambert....

... why, then, extend his contract to 4 years?

For me, fear of relegation will overcome fear of finding someone worse around about the time of the first week in February if we still aren't scoring goals and winning a few games.

Right now we're in the transfer window with a manager who is good at transfers (and nothing else according to some).

So keeping him here for January makes a lot of sense: No new manager is going to be bringing any new players until the summer.

And if we accept that we want him to stay, for however short a time, we should give him and the team 100% support. Less than that and we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

(I don't understand your second point about extending the contract for 4 years. It's pretty likely that Lerner did this because Lambert has done what Lerner has asked. If he sacks him he will have to pay out the contract AND pay the new manager, which Lerner might be able to afford, but it's a lot more than he will want to spend.)

You answered my second part: You don't sign someone up on a 4 year contract if you are unable to afford sacking them.

As for this transfer window - I hope Gil hits the ground running as quickly as Sanchez has.

At least 40% of the players in the last match day squad were here before Lambert. Considering the way players move on at clubs I wouldn't say that's recreating the squad. Include Delph who would be there and the figure moves to around half.

This is really scraping the barrel - More than 50 players have come or gone in the last two and a half seasons and even Lambert's harshest critic would agree that this consistutes "reshaping the squad".  Lambert inherited a very poor squad and since then has had to replace players that cost £80m+ in fees whilst spending only half that and having to dramatically slash the wage bill

This is really scraping the barrel - More than 50 players have come or gone in the last two and a half seasons and even Lambert's harshest critic would agree that this consistutes "reshaping the squad". Lambert inherited a very poor squad and since then has had to replace players that cost £80m+ in fees whilst spending only half that and having to dramatically slash the wage bill

I don't need to scrape the barrel, I'd state his horrendous set of results recently if I was to criticise him. I actually think he has pulled off some decent signings in the market. Also some poor ones as well.

I'm only stating that he had not started the squad he is using now from scratch at all. He is still using players from different managers.

My criticism of Lambert is solely remains on the field. I believe he has put together a capable squad now that could push for top ten. He has under performed for too long for me with some of the performances and results that we've had. I was prepared to give him this season to see how we were going but I see nothing from him to suggest he is going to turn it around.

Better article and not just because it supoports my particular viewpoint but because it is not laced with bile and venom as the other vendetta piece was

Â