Paul Lambert

limpid

There maybe a personal thing there but it's not out of order what he says in this article. Lambert talks like he will come out fighting then does the opposite. Not sure what the crowd will be Saturday but he needs to have a go he needs to get his mojo back. He has lost a lot of support just when we hit a run of games where we'll,be lucky to get anything. If he doesn't find something from some where he may not lose his job but VP will,be empty!! 

But we are already aware of our inefficiencies - why make another article regurgitating the same points over and over? This new article is not revolutionary in any sense, just another one from Kendrick against Lambert. From my perspective, it looks like a bitter tirade by someone with a grudge. How is this truly helping the club?  

I appreciate Mat is a passionate Villa fan, but these continuous articles go deeper than just being a "concerned supporter".

Perhaps you could email Mr Kendrick and suggest a novel and interesting way of reporting how bad we are that hasn't been said before.  If it's OK for Lambert to endlessly parrot "we go again" after yet another dismal display, why shouldn't a local reporter tell the truth about how badly the manager is doing?

• Like 2

For those who are saying Mat Kendrick's excellent article(which I completely agree with by the way) was personal in any way,remind me again who is the person responsible for MK's new position at the Birmingham Mail?? A certain out of depth,negative,awful example of a Premier League manager would be a good hint.

That article is an utter disgrace as for me it smacks of someone using their position in a personal vendetta not unbiased reporting 

Why is everything on here a 'Personal Vedetta' or a 'Personal Swipe' when people have differing views? The same 3 or 4 posters  do this, but it's ok when they reply with 'your post is ludricous' and 'it's a shame for you'.

• Like 2

Kendrick nailed his colours to the mast at the end of last season when it looked like Lambert was going. No surprise it continues. I think a lot would agree with it and for a balanced view the mail did have an opposite article published.

• Like 2

I have to agree with a lot of what MK says. When Lambert joined he was fresh and full of energy and enthusiasm. I was genuinely excited, but after McLeish who wouldn't be?

I don't know what changed. Whether the lack of funds broke him down or the lack of faith from the pundits in the youth, but he has changed a lot. His shopping list, his energy, his tactics, all have changed. Maybe it's the pressure? Let's not forget that before us, he only had about an hour's Premier League management experience.

Is he happy? I think it's a mixed bag. He has a great salary, a long contract and he's managing in the Premiership. However he has lost most of the fans, and maybe even the dressing room. I think he loves the job and has tried his best, but the task is too big for him. Something tells me if a Burnley or Leicester came in for him, he would be keen to go do the same job, but with a new chance (a la Pardew). But I firmly believe he has to go. Given funds and maybe a Championship team, he will succeed but I think this is just a bit much for him now.

• Like 1

it seems madness to play without width especially at villa park with its size. We clearly don't have xavi and inesta in the centre of the park to play so narrow. I honestly think playing with some width would improve us so much. my problem with Lambert is he is will not change tact even when its clearly obvious to the layman its not working, That sort of naivety is dangerous especially the position were in at the moment

The beauty of football is that in lots of ways it is pure, simple and uncomplicated game but of course you can view it at many levels - A 7 year old sitting next to Alex Ferguson can both enjoy a game, but of course, they will understand and enjoy very different aspects.

The idea that as a layman we can clearly see the problems on the pitch which are a mystery to the managers, coaches and professional staff of a club is a seductive both ultimately ridiculous idea

I guess Lambert would love to have two wingers banging in crosses but he may also think that to do this he needs to give up something elsewhere

The Japanese probably have a word for something that looks simple but is in fact very complicated

Given funds and maybe a Championship team, he will succeed but I think this is just a bit much for him now.

You may be right, but if you are, what would you do if you were RL?

Which manager would you suggest for the role of moulding a top 8 team from a bottom 5 team with 15 million pounds a year for transfers and 0 pounds a year for salaries?

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the article at all to be honest.  There's even another one stating reasons why Lambert should not be sacked.  All it's doing is inspiring a debate about the tenure of our manager - something which we (and presumably most Villa fans) have been doing for a while.

Can't see a problem with it; it's not like everything is going well at the moment.

Given funds and maybe a Championship team, he will succeed but I think this is just a bit much for him now.

Which manager would you suggest for the role of moulding a top 8 team from a bottom 5 team with 15 million pounds a year for transfers and 0 pounds a year for salaries?

Everybody rates Lambert because he has an eye for a bargain. Well does that not mean the players he has signed are better an worth more than the money he signed them for. We might say he has only spent 15 million a year, which to me is not that bad considering, but Benteke (on form) is a 25 million pound player, Sanchez is a bargain, Westwood etc.

The team on paper should be able to finish midtable without a battle of relegation every season. Pulis (even though not my choice) could have managed it im sure.

• Like 1

That article is an utter disgrace as for me it smacks of someone using their position in a personal vendetta not unbiased reporting 

The article is the opinion of the majority of Villa fans so I don't see how it's an utter disgrace? Thankfully he is using his position to get his and the majority of fan's opinion across. At least someone in the media is.

• Like 3

That's the million dollar question.

I think the squad is better than we're currently performing. I also think we can't do worse than what we're currently doing. A change tends to add a bit of impetus to the team.

Lambert used to speak of negative individuals in the dressing room bringing moral down. I'd hazard that currently he's filling that role. Giving an enthusiastic manager a chance may just give the team the kicking they need.

it seems madness to play without width especially at villa park with its size. We clearly don't have xavi and inesta in the centre of the park to play so narrow. I honestly think playing with some width would improve us so much. my problem with Lambert is he is will not change tact even when its clearly obvious to the layman its not working, That sort of naivety is dangerous especially the position were in at the moment

The beauty of football is that in lots of ways it is pure, simple and uncomplicated game but of course you can view it at many levels - A 7 year old sitting next to Alex Ferguson can both enjoy a game, but of course, they will understand and enjoy very different aspects.

The idea that as a layman we can clearly see the problems on the pitch which are a mystery to the managers, coaches and professional staff of a club is a seductive both ultimately ridiculous idea

I guess Lambert would love to have two wingers banging in crosses but he may also think that to do this he needs to give up something elsewhere

The Japanese probably have a word for something that looks simple but is in fact very complicated

This is an excellent, balanced post.

Let me start by saying I think we would be better off finding a new manager. We can all see the problems, but that does not mean we know the answers. Of these "laymen" how many do you think have the ability to be a football manager at any professional level? One in ten thousand maybe? That's not very many layman.

I would still like to think another, realistically available, manager could do a better job. Certainly to keep us up and provide more entertainment. But that does not mean I have the answer myself.

Width and movement are severely lacking however, he must find a way to change that.

• Like 1

Not Lambert that's for sure! He hasn't moulded anything down the Villa which would take him straight out the running. I realise what your trying to say but the bottom line is that in 3 years the only improvement under Lambert has been the playing staff after endless attempts . Nobody could say 100% which manager could get this team to top 8 however that in itself is no reason to persist with a product that isn't working.  

Haha I see the whole gang responded. Honoured.

When I said happy, I didn't mean he's skipping into work each day and delighted to be Aston villa manager, telling the world what a great job he's got.

He's happy as in he's happy to stay as villa manager and do this job even with the constraints put in place. Does he want to do better? Of course, but he also knows his job is safe as long as he survives. You might not agree but I think that's an issue for the club, that we have an owner with no interest in improving the club and a manager who is happy to work under financial constraints as long as he delivers that survival.

Its no wonder all we do is survive when that's the attitude from the top men in charge.

You specifically said

Lambert obviously has no issues with the funding he's been given

Which is what people have a problem with. Him not resigning is not proof that he is happy with the funds he has.

You also said

the manager and owner are both perfectly happy to just survive.

But now you say that he wants to do better.

So you seem to have gone back on your original post.

Even if you haven't, again him not resigning is in no way proof that he is "perfectly happy to survive". There's no way you could know that.

The lack of resignation and the acceptance of a new contract is, at most, proof that Lambert isn't SO unhappy with the constraints upon him that he is willing to give up his employment, pay off and part of his reputation to get out.

In reality, neither you or I have any clue how happy Lambert is in the job. Again, the most we can conclude is that he's not so utterly miserable that he's been forced to quit.

Edited by Stevo985

Good article from Kendrick. Doesn't sound bitter at all. Simply stating the truth . Particularly liked this bit...

From" The only stat you need to know is you have to try and win games - that’s the name of the game.” to “We had 752 passes against Blackpool and we had 69 per cent possession"

Lamberts a walking book of excuses. Literally churning them out with no awareness of what he's said before.

Anybody watching the Ipswich Southampton game?

There was a nice bit of conversation about us.

Commentator: Not many teams play with two up from these days.

Lawrenson: certainly not Aston Villa

Commentator: I take it you won't be watching them at the weekend?

Lawrenson: Never

Thanks Paul. We are officially the team people mention when needing to take the piss.

Â