Paul Lambert

limpid

If he was that good he'd be swimming in job offers already 

It's less than 3 months since he left Palace.

No managers in the league have left or been sacked since he left Palace?

How is he supposed to be swimming in offers if there have been no jobs available?

People have been speaking of him as if he'd guarantee survival. I think you even stated yourself that with him we wouldn't be relegated. If that were true then surely a club would have made their move already.

If he was that good he'd be swimming in job offers already 

How is he supposed to be swimming in offers if there have been no jobs available?

People have been speaking of him as if he'd guarantee survival. I think you even stated yourself that with him we wouldn't be relegated. If that were true then surely a club would have made their move already.

Are you serious?

It's the first week of November. It's not long enough for any of the teams to have made a decision as to whether their manager will keep them up. Again, he's only been out of his job for barely 2 months.

Were Sunderland/QPR/Burnley etc to sack their manager now you can guarantee that Pulis would be one of the first names on the list as a possible replacement.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I think Lambert has had enough time and enough money to create a average lower middle table club, we are talking 10th-12th place team.

But he has failed to do that.

Yes he could have had more money for wages and transfers but it feels like he's had the same money as most middle table clubs only he's spread it incredibly thinly over lots of average and terrible signings.

None of our home grown players have stepped in and helped prop him up, they have all been gash or been sold. Only Grealish and Robinson are left with a chance.

In some ways out of the current team I don't know who could get anything better of these crop of really pretty crappy players 

Amazes me how many people's opinions of Pulis are taken from the media's intepretation of him rather from actually watching his teams

Last season i didnt see Palace hoofing balls left right and centre i saw players like Puncheon and Bolasie running at people trying to make things happen

Sam Allardyce is also labelled with the same tag, would we not be happy playing the way West Ham are this season??

Pulis in 2 months made Palace a better side then Lambert has made us in over 2 years

For what he's achieved in the prem Pulis deserves a go at a bigger club and we should give him that chance

If we dont get him soon 1 of our relegation rivals will and that team will probably end up finishing above us

• Like 1

The problem with PL is is that he hasn't been unlucky, he's just been playing the same shite football since the start of last season and it's not going to change, as this is clearly what he's all about. This is Paul Lambert's style of football and it's mind-numbingly boring and an embarrassment to the club IMO. If this was Stoke playing this way, losing 6 in a row and not scoring goals then everyone on here would be saying what a disgrace they are and that they should get out the league ASAP.

Amazes me how many people's opinions of Pulis are taken from the media's intepretation of him rather from actually watching his teams

Last season i didnt see Palace hoofing balls left right and centre i saw players like Puncheon and Bolasie running at people trying to make things happen

Sam Allardyce is also labelled with the same tag, would we not be happy playing the way West Ham are this season??

Pulis in 2 months made Palace a better side then Lambert has made us in over 2 years

For what he's achieved in the prem Pulis deserves a go at a bigger club and we should give him that chance

If we dont get him soon 1 of our relegation rivals will and that team will probably end up finishing above us

Pulis had that chance at Stoke where he was given £100m to spend to continue their progression. They hit a ceiling of lower mid-table purely down to his one-dimensional tactical approach and the range of players he limited himself to in the market. He has proven only that he is effective at keeping a team in the division. So no, he hasn't earned a shot at a club like us at all.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

I could see Lambert being up for the chop. When you consider the tail end of last season, and run of results this season bar a couple of decent results at the start we have been dire for so long. Why he was signed to a new deal so quickly into this season remains a mystery and as pointed out by quite a few people it would have been prudent to wait until Christmas and New Year before getting all signed and sealed. Every game that passes now without halting this slide will pile pressure on Lerner to pull the trigger. I am not confident Lambert knows how to turn this slide around, I certainly don't fancy our chances in the next two games and by the time we face Burnley it will be too long without victory that surely any owner of a club would get rid.

Don't know why people seem to think if we gave the job to Pullis he'd automatically guarantee our survivial and do this and that. If he was that good he'd be swimming in job offers already

Are you serious?

It's the first week of November. It's not long enough for any of the teams to have made a decision as to whether their manager will keep them up. Again, he's only been out of his job for barely 2 months.

Were Sunderland/QPR/Burnley etc to sack their manager now you can guarantee that Pulis would be one of the first names on the list as a possible replacement.

What do you mean am I serious? I'm not the one saying that Pulis would guarantee survival. All I'm saying is if that were true he'd have been given a job already, with the money involved there's no doubt about that.

I'm sure he'd be a candidate for the Sunderland/QPR/Burnley jobs but as I keep saying he wouldn't guarantee survival, which is something people keep suggesting when bringing his name up as a possibility for the next Villa manager.

And as I said also what does leaving Palace because they wouldn't give him the money he wanted to spend say about his confidence to work with what he had? He'd have similar financial constraints here too.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Don't know why people seem to think if we gave the job to Pullis he'd automatically guarantee our survivial and do this and that. If he was that good he'd be swimming in job offers already

Are you serious?

What do you mean am I serious? I'm not the one saying that Pulis would guarantee survival. All I'm saying is if that were true he'd have been given a job already, with the money involved there's no doubt about that.

I'm sure he'd be a candidate for the Sunderland/QPR/Burnley jobs but as I keep saying he wouldn't guarantee survival, which is something people keep suggesting when bringing his name up as a possibility for the next Villa manager.

And as I said also what does leaving Palace because they wouldn't give him the money he wanted to spend say about his confidence to work with what he had? He'd have similar financial constraints here too.

Yeah, the walkout/strop over cash is a big black mark on his CV for me, plus I don't think we should be looking for someone just to keep us up short term, we should be looking long term again as we tried to do with Lambert. Short termism is going to get us nowhere. Lerner's position really doesn't help us make that kind of appointment though either...

• Like 1

Are you serious?

Nobody said he'd guarantee survival. Just that he'd probably keep us up given what he did at Stoke and Palace.

"there's no doubt about that". That's your opinion, but there is a HUGE amount of doubt about that. Like I said, if the clubs near the bottom of the league were looking for a manager, then I imagine Pulis would probably be top of the list

Surely this completely contradicts your complaint that he'd be offered a job if he was so good?

if there was a job going, he'd be in the running for sure.

That's a completely separate point that has nothign to do with what I posted.

FWIW, Pulis wouldn't be my first choice. I'm not saying we should employ him. I'm merely saying that IF we sacked Lambert (which imo would only be if we were threatened with relegation) then I don't think we'd be in a position to turn our noses up at Pulis because we don't like his brand of football because I think he'd keep us up.

The argument that if he was that good, he'd have been "swimming in job offers", when there hasn't been a single sacking since he left his Palace post (barely 2 months ago) is nonsense.

Edited by Stevo985

Antrim what i mean is it doesnt matter what we think now, IMO

You reckon he's gone then?

The opposite I would guess. It's seems Lerner isn't bothered about Fan opinion when it comes to managers, if he did he wouldn't have given Lambert a new 4 year contract or hired McLeish.  

Overall if you look at our fixtures 10 points from 10 games is about par. Too many people are looking at our recent form and not looking at the teams we have played. The same thing is happening with "Title Contenders" Southampton. Look at their results this season and their impressive start isn't so impressive.

The problem with PL is is that he hasn't been unlucky, he's just been playing the same shite football since the start of last season and it's not going to change, as this is clearly what he's all about. This is Paul Lambert's style of football and it's mind-numbingly boring and an embarrassment to the club IMO. If this was Stoke playing this way, losing 6 in a row and not scoring goals then everyone on here would be saying what a disgrace they are and that they should get out the league ASAP.

He has been unlucky.

4 of our top 6 most valuable/expensive players have suffered major long term injuries in the past 12/18 months and were out at the same time. Any club would struggle to make decent progress in that scenario.

Again, I agree on the shite football, but let's be fair - he has not exactly had Lady Luck on his side.

• Like 1

Spurs could not cope with our quick passing and tempo, we made them look average. Bring on West Ham! 

Wrong!!

Spurs could not cope with Benteke's strength and movement and he is missing for the next 3 games 2 of which are against the form sides of the league.

Benteke was good (despite not scoring) but you are doing a disservice to the other attackers who contributed to our strong performance. Hopefully we can replicate that style of play in the forthcoming games without Benteke.

• Like 1

I don't particularly rate or like Pulis, despite his miraculous work at Palace last season. In fact i kind of really dislike him going on his public persona, and the whole baseball cap running out last for maximum self publicity etc etc

BUT

I'd take him over old **** mumbles any day of the week. Heck, i'd even take McLeish back right now. At least he came a cross as a good bloke if nothing else. Can't **** stand to even hear Lambert talk anymore

Easily my least favourite Villa manager of all time. Well since i started supporting in the late 70's. I absolutely can't stand the maudlin clearing in the woods and his continual clueless football week in week out

Probably why i've started staying away like the other missing thousands. He's worn us out

Hopefully we can replicate that style of play in the forthcoming games without Benteke.

I think we have conclusively seen over the past couple of years that we are utterly hopeless offensively without Benteke. There is next-to-no reason to believe that will suddenly change now.

Â