Paul Lambert

limpid

Maybe they looked so poor because we played well?

Once again it's the old "we didn't play well, they just played poorly argument". While Spurs weren't great, that doesn't mean we didn't play well up until the sending off.

And our problem in previous seasons is we've had games where we've said "If we play like that we'll beat X, Y and Z" and then it's 2 months before we play like that again.

This is my main worry.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Once again it's the old "we didn't play well, they just played poorly argument". While Spurs weren't great, that doesn't mean we didn't play well up until the sending off.

I didn't quite say that. By our standards we played well and we are not responsible for how the opposition play. But we will not have the luxury of facing teams defending as atrociously as that during most weeks. Lowton will not have the entire right-hand side of the park to himself, as he did in the first-half, against most other left-backs. It's contextual.

Why are we debating whether the manager should stay or go when the chairman is the cause of the problems?

For want of a better less horrible metaphor that isn't so ridiculous, Lerner is the internal cancer, Lambert is just the melanoma that is the tip of the iceberg.

The club is on life support until a new owner comes in. May as well just buckle up for the ride until then as nothing is going to change until then.

in Lambert defence I thought he got his tactics spot on Sunday except for a 10 minute lack of discipline we would have got a result. The players at most are playing for him and now we have played all last seasons top 6 I think it will be fair to judge him with games until Christmas

I dont think we can wait until Christmas, and its not just this season its the last two also. The same problems still exist and he has failed to iron any of them out. He has had long enough now I think things need freshening up

these are the games up to New Years Day. If we play like we did against Spurs we should get 12-15 points from them 8 games

Sat 8

15:00

A

West Ham United

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Mon 24

20:00

H

Southampton

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Sat 29

A

Burnley

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

December 2014

Date

KO

V

Opponent

Comp

Result

ATT

Info

Tue 2

19:45

A

Crystal Palace

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Sun 7

16:00

H

Leicester City

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Sat 13

A

West Bromwich Albion

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Sat 20

H

Manchester United

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Fri 26

A

Swansea City

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

Sun 28

H

Sunderland

PREM

TicketsExchange Tickets

January 2015

I admire your optimism, I think you are being a little generous to our potential capabilities there though, for me its 7-10 points at best.

Burnley, Leicester, Palace and Sunderland being our chances to get something.

I didn't quite say that. By our standards we played well and we are not responsible for how the opposition play. But we will not have the luxury of facing teams defending as atrociously as that during most weeks. Lowton will not have the entire right-hand side of the park to himself, as he did in the first-half, against most other left-backs. It's contextual.

Is it not a case of us exploiting a weakness in Tottenham though? Most teams in the Premier League have them and they can be exploited by anyone who knows how. My issue is that we aren't ruthless enough to fully take advantage.

• Like 1

I love the 'no manager is available who could do better' crap

Keane?

Pulis had a reputation for anti-football until he went to Palace and played a pretty decent style of football that involved width and pace. Not saying I want him as manager.

I would plump for Moyes a proven manager who has a huge point to prove, but as long as we only give someone a year to prove themselves rather than stupid contract that involves huge pay offs if they turn out to be crap.

Why are we debating whether the manager should stay or go when the chairman is the cause of the problems?

For want of a better less horrible metaphor that isn't so ridiculous, Lerner is the internal cancer, Lambert is just the melanoma that is the tip of the iceberg.

The club is on life support until a new owner comes in. May as well just buckle up for the ride until then as nothing is going to change until then.

Good point but that we can't change as no one wants to buy the club.

at least the manager we can in theory change.

if we have a decent manager who does well and ups the profile of the club someone might want to buy it, unlikely but who knows

• Like 2

Spurs could not cope with our quick passing and tempo, we made them look average. Bring on West Ham! 

Wrong!!

Spurs could not cope with Benteke's strength and movement and he is missing for the next 3 games 2 of which are against the form sides of the league.

Spurs could not cope with our quick passing and tempo, we made them look average. Bring on West Ham! 

Wrong!!

Spurs could not cope with Benteke's strength and movement and he is missing for the next 3 games 2 of which are against the form sides of the league.

What? The whole Spurs team couldn't cope with one man? Bloody hell. I knew he was impressive but not so much that he could force a whole team to look average!

• Like 1

I'm not saying we shouldn't try changing the manager BTW, just that the root cause is a bigger concern.

If we did sack him, it would involve a huge, nearly 4 year pay off. Is it worth taking two steps back financially after getting ourselves sorted over the last few years? I suppose it would be worth it to avoid relegation I guess.

I don't know, which goes to show what a mess the whole thing is really I suppose.

Still makes me laugh though, a new improved 4 year contract for a handful of good games. Its cringe inducing.

Edited by Ingram85

Wrong!!

He wasn't the only reason we played well. It's important to remember that we have sometimes played well this season without him.

• Like 1

I don't know how 10 points out of a possible 12 (Stoke away and Liverpool away were tough fixtures as well) can be described as just "competent". They were excellent results and good performances - the problem is that we haven't been able to even get close to recapturing that form since.

Edited by Mantis

I'd just like to point out that when someone given an either or scenario, its completely daft to pick on the either as the posters opinion whilst ignoring the or situation that he also states.

It is also pretty daft saying that a poster has no idea of our financial situation when albeit a year behind, its a matter of public record.

So its correct. A year behind does not show our current financial situation.

And what have you seen that makes you think its dramatically different from say the last five years?

See if you're going to argue a point, its pretty much arguing 101 that you have at least a semblance of a fact to back it up with or really its merely posturing.

It really does lead to a spectacularly dull debate otherwise

And for the record I have no opinion either way on the point being debated here, I just detest the absolutely diabolical standard of the debate

I remember there was talk of Faulkner saying our books were in order last year. With the increase in TV revenue and the fact we seem to have £8 million ready to spend on cleverly in a months time I think it points to us being in a position where sacking the manager won't bankrupt us. I'd like to hear why you think we financially can't afford to, maybe then you could up the standard of debate.

erm… point me in the direction of where I said anything like that?

Can I suggest you actually read peoples posts before commenting on them, it might help you formulate a better reply

Is it not a case of us exploiting a weakness in Tottenham though? Most teams in the Premier League have them and they can be exploited by anyone who knows how. My issue is that we aren't ruthless enough to fully take advantage.

Well to be fair, we seldom ever tactically outplay opponents so I'm more inclined to call it what I think it was - terrible defending on their part.

Â