Paul Lambert

limpid

If changing manager can get a heap of shit with the worst home record in history a win against the team that were top of the table (you know who I mean) then it can work for Villa too

This. Despite the fact that I really wanted Lambert to succeed I just feel that a change of manager could at least give the club a much needed lift.

Absolutely right Mantis - we created quite a few opportunities against Spurs because the way we were set out was fine, it was our finishing that let us down.

Let's not forget the same could be said for spurs. Adebayor missed a one on one and soldado missed pretty much an open goal.

It was a better performance but spurs were poor.

He has made mistakes, all managers do but how can even the most bitter Lambert Out campaigners not even recognise there are massive mitigating circumstances.

Everyone knows there are issues that have made this tough for Lambert. You think they excuse the poor performance and no progress and some of us think they don't.

And this is exactly why stats can be misleading. There's a lot more to say.

It annoys me that some can't seem to recognise a decent performance right in front of their eyes because of a couple of stats. I mean, our stats against QPR were a lot better (more possession, more shots etc) yet the performance there was dire.

In fact, it isn't even the opinion of the performance that bothers me. If you don't think it was a good performance then fair enough but saying it wasn't a good performance because we had one shot on target is just ridiculous.

I Don't always agree with Mantis, but I will defend him here. 

The one shot stat against Spurs was not the same as the one shot game against Chelsea. We did nothing in that game and that one shot was basically a tame long range from Hutton. I don't think you can really compare the two.

If we're going to criticise Lambert we have to be fair otherwise it loses effect.

It doesn't really change anything for me as the two and a half year stint is well below par.

But was it our worst performance? No, not by along way. I've seen us play worse under Lambert and win.

Across our last 38 games: 

37 points

35 goals scored

65 goals conceded

-30 goal difference

And people say give him more time!

Cut Usian Bolt's big toes off and his 100m times would come down spectacularly, and be consistently bad for as long as you want to measure them.

37 points

35 goals scored

65 goals conceded

-30 goal difference

Cut Usian Bolt's big toes off and his 100m times would come down spectacularly, and be consistently bad for as long as you want to measure them.

He would be even quicker with no big toes? Blimey there really is no stopping him.

• Like 3

I don't think the argument of there being nobody better out there WHO WOULD COME TO VILLA is out of place.

I don't agree with it. But I don't think it's so unfathomable for somebody to say they can't think of anyone we could attract who would do any better who would come to Villa in it's current state. Stating is at fact isn't right, but I doubt anybody is doing that in a literal sense.

Edited by Stevo985

I have to say I agree with a lot of that Drat, Lambert may have been woeful in some peoples eyes, but he has given it a 'right good go' and he has had his hands tied behind his back to an extent, but for me I think he has taken this club as far as it can go.

A shame and I thank PL for trying but it is just not going to happen.

I wish the man the very best of luck and I know he will do well in his next club but for me I think a new manager and a time for a fresh change is now needed for the good of Aston Villa football club and not just a personal hate tirade against the manager.

I had mentioned in previous threads I would be willing to give PL the next 2 games to try and turn this around but frankly I now cannot even see that being enough anymore. Defeat against West Ham will send this place into meltdown, A win against West Ham and I would like to see PL leave on a high and bow out.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Out of all the Players Lambert signed at the start of last season, only one of those players has kicked a ball for us this season, the rest have all been buys that have not worked out and half of them are no longer here now, but again the manager can only use a budget that is handed to him, and with so many positions to strengthen there is only so far he can go in stretching the funds.

Nothing will change and while the club is still in Limbo and no serious money being granted to improve the team in transfer windows then there is only so far Lambo can take us.

I think the change of a new Manager (and my choice would be Tony Pulis) to come in and roll out a fresh approach to get these players firing on all cylinders again using different ideas and methods.

What is there to lose?  I don't fancy where this club is going and I think PL has taken us as far as we can go under him.

We have seen what happened the last 2 seasons. I don't think it will be 3rd time lucky if PL stays.

37 points

35 goals scored

65 goals conceded

-30 goal difference

He would be even quicker with no big toes? Blimey there really is no stopping him.

ahah, yeah, I mean no, I mean it's early, leave me alone...

• Like 1

I think Lambert is an ok manager. About Championship standard. With a shite team. With no money.

I think we could replace him with an ok manager. About Championship standard. But we'd still have a shite team. With no money.

• Like 1

Not being relegated in his first two seasons, with a shit team and a shit budget (both transfers and more so wages) is good enough for me.

We will always be fighting relegation under the current regime and id rather stick with someone who proved he can keep us in the league two seasons running.

You 'Lambert out brigade' who want the club to be great again have to look at the way the club is run. Yes we may need a better manager to make that push, but with the current structures, id rather keep a manager who has a proven track record of keeping us in the league than someone who doesnt. Felix Magath anyone?

• Like 4

Â