Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 

Villa can complete a £7.5m deal for Cleverley in January if the player impresses.

£7.5m.. what.

I think this is a compromise for all parties. Essentially Cleverly says let me prove my worth, then decide. Villa said we're happy to pay you more money but we want to see you prove your worth it first. 

We must have agreed no loan fee for Cleverly so. Then have agreed to pay £7.5 million in Jan if we can agree terms with Cleverly before then. Otherwise he returns to United and they try sell him elsewhere in January. 

It's a strange one this, all three parties wanting whats best for themselves. United want cash for a player, Cleverly wants to play and wants a pay rise, Villa don't want to pay high wages to a player who might end up being a flop. 

Confusing as ever - good news to have him as I think he improves us and gives us more options.

How long it lasts I dont know - cant work out whether this puts us in a stronger position or weaker to get him permanently. At least we'll be able to see if he is any good for us first.

£7.5m for Tom Cleverly with 6 months on their contract seems bizarre. If that is the deal agreed in Jan. Big IF

Villa can complete a £7.5m deal for Cleverley in January if the player impresses.

£7.5m.. what.

Why would we do that when we can sign him for free in the summer?

Because then anyone will be able to sign him. The 7.5m is probably a guessed at figure anyway.

Edited by useless

£7.5m.. what.

Can I suggest another way of looking at this.

If the way we managed to get Cleverley was for a low up-front fee but high wages (i.e. Bosman or panicking this summer), then that leaves us in a tricky negotiating position when we sit down with Vlaar, Gabby, Grealish and Delph in particular. 

This way, Cleverley's team win because they probably get a share of Villa's fee without it being salary-loaded..We pay out the same amount overall except fee-load it, and we still maintain whatever pay structure was in place before.

I genueinely think this is a massive thing to consider, considering the situation we find ourselves in.

£7.5m.. what.

Because then anyone will be able to sign him. The 7.5m is probably exaggerated anyway.

Anyone can sign him on a pre-contract on January 1st anyway.

• Like 2

£7.5m.. what.

Exactly.

Cheaper signing on fee?

To be honest, I agree it would make more sense to wait until the summer; you can bung him a few million to cover his wage expectations without breaking the structure in place, as we have saved £7.5million.

• Like 2

£7.5m.. what.

Yeah, that sounds a bit steep for someone with 6 months left on their contract?

The point is we can agree terms with the player whenever we feel like it in next 4 months. If he's having a good season and became on the open market to agree a deal to sign on a bosman in Jan someone better might come in, or someone who loves paying big wages ala Newcastle. 

The power is in our hands. We either decide he's worth the wages and the fee as he's playing very well. Or we decide he's not worth it and seek out new targets. 

It's an excellent compromise. Far better than having signed him permanently last night.

£7.5m.. what.

Because then anyone will be able to sign him. The 7.5m is probably exaggerated anyway.

Anyone can sign him on a pre-contract on January 1st anyway.

Only non-English teams

Â