Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I was under the impression that the "Middle of the road club" comment was made by a talking head on a radio station and not anyone actually in the Cleverley camp. 

Yep.

So much utter balls been spouted on this deal in the last 48 hours, sadly people seem willing to believe all sorts of stuff regardless of the source. I believe the 80k rubbish was from someone similar.

The first reference I heard to 80k a week was from Pat Murphy speaking on 5live. When he reported that Villa had pulled out of the deal 

due to Financial Fair Play these loan to become permanent deals are more common now given amortisation of transfer fees offset by player sales. Along with income vs wages. 

If I say to you, yes I want him but I'll pay 1 million more if we do loan deal for this year and I sign him permanent in Jan. I'll pay all his wages. You don't say no to me. But on my side I am working within the FFP constraints. 

time to get used to this kind of deal.

I don't follow that I'm afraid Conor.  It may be more popular for the club taking the player, but it doesn't benefit the selling club, so overall it cancles out.

Jonathan Hope was the agent who made the middle of the road comment, he works for JSH Sports agency. The agency Cleverley uses is Ungeklart i.e. Jonathan Hope has nothing to do with Tom Cleverley and his views are not representative of Cleverley's :)

• Like 3

due to Financial Fair Play these loan to become permanent deals are more common now given amortisation of transfer fees offset by player sales. Along with income vs wages. 

If I say to you, yes I want him but I'll pay 1 million more if we do loan deal for this year and I sign him permanent in Jan. I'll pay all his wages. You don't say no to me. But on my side I am working within the FFP constraints. 

i'm not sure that works with the Cleverly deal though.

We would have paid £8m, amortised over 4 years = £2m a year.

Instead we are paying around a £2m loan fee to Man Utd = £2m a year.

I think it must have been more about running out of time, agent or Tom playing hardball, rather than FFP (in this case)

Tom Cleverley, welcome to the best club in the world, work hard, play well and we'll love you.

I imagine if wages were the stumbling block, as was mentioned yesterday, then perhaps we've said come on loan and we'll pay your current wage in exchange for first team football, and of you do well, we'll make you an offer in January for wages we think are fair (by which time it might not be randy's problem). Sounds like win win for villa; he does well, we do well, he does poorly, we're no worse off (other than 1.5m ish in wages).

This was a strange deal, but I stand by my original thoughts that this can only be good for the team.

UTV.

• Like 1

The deal is done, he can only help us unless he sulks around like Ireland, but with the team shaping up to be the best Villa side in years (gulp), hopefully he wants to prove himself and play hard.

I don't follow that I'm afraid Conor.  It may be more popular for the club taking the player, but it doesn't benefit the selling club, so overall it cancles out.

Well if I can't buy your player now for 10 million as I'll be in breach of FFP as it will push me over on my side. I want a 4 year deal with him. 

The selling club is in the black at the moment, 5 mil free wiggle room on their side. 

I offer to pay 1 million loan fee now, pay all the players wages and pay you the 10 million next summer. 

I get the player for 1 year longer at total cost of 11 mil, (Fee is 1 mil this year and 2.5mil per year amortised over next 4 years) you get more money for the player as you'll get 11 million in total.

Makes sense in the framework of the rules.

Good signing imo, structured well for us:

• If he's unbelievably good, Man United will recall him and we lose him. Unlikely, he's not going to be so good that they'll want him instead of all the attacking players they've splurged on in the last year.
  • If he's decent enough we want to keep him, we've got an option to buy and we'll buy him.
  • If he's a crock of shite, we won't buy him and we'll just send him back to United instead.

Don't really see where we can lose out there. Also, I don't really care he was interested in other clubs because in the end he signed for us.

• Like 1

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

• Like 4

Its kinda the same as trying to pull a girl, she says she fancies someone else who turns her down, then she comes crawling back. Still nice to get laid i spose. Welcome tom, sorry you have to **** a minger.

Ian Holloway - what are you doing posting on this forum?!

• Like 3

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

That's true. I suppose as fans we expect players to have the same ultimate and unswerving loyalty to a club as we do, and that is very rarely the case. It's a bit like your missus mentioning an ex, you know there were others, but you'd prefer not to think about it.

Basically, for a relatively small expenditure, we have swapped KEA who was going to leave at the end of the season anyway for Cleverley who may or may not leave at the end of the season.

Cleverley is better than KEA. Our team is stronger. We are less likely to get relegated. More likely to finish higher in the league and get more income as a result.

Fair enough we didn't get a Delorean and 'back to the future' a prime Zico to VP. But other than this, why are folk complaining?

We were using players like Bowery and Sylla last season, and people are appalled by getting an England international who got plenty of game time at MU?? 

Jesus wept. 

Edited by botak
  • Like 1

Â