Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

The length of time on his contract has no relevance for me.

Is he, in this market, an £8m player? Yes

Is he a player who is going to rapidly decline in value? No, I don't think so.

Get him signed.

Seems like an odd thing to say.

In order for him to be worth £8m in this market then there should be another club wanting to buy him but will only go to say £7.5m. Do you think that is the case?

Wait?

What?

So everytime someone has bought a player it's because they out bid someone else?

Edited by rodders0223

People don't understand that £8 million is pretty standard for a player of Cleverleys ability. I think he's done ok nothing spectacular.

Well I think Delph is a better midfielder so let's see what we get for him if we sell in January.

But the deal was agreed in August.

Westwood definitely isn't better than Cleverley. That's mad.

I'd rather have Westwood in our midfield than Cleverley.  Perhaps that doesn't mean he's a better player, but he's more fitting for us right now.  The same way that finding an attacking/creative midfielder is a more pressing concern for us than purchasing Tom Cleverley - especially for £8m (I'd be alarmed if we paid that much for him with 6 months left).

• Like 3

But the deal was agreed in August.

But nowhere has it been reported that it was a binding buy clause, rather we "have the option" to buy him for a set amount. We are allowed to bid less than that, it just means that United aren't obliged to accept. But seeing as no other club will be biding anything like £8m for Cleverley in January, we'd be fools not to at least force the price down.

Edited by Isa

The length of time on his contract has no relevance for me.

Is he, in this market, an £8m player? Yes

Is he a player who is going to rapidly decline in value? No, I don't think so.

Get him signed.

Seems like an odd thing to say.

In order for him to be worth £8m in this market then there should be another club wanting to buy him but will only go to say £7.5m. Do you think that is the case?

Wait?

What?

So everytime someone has bought a player it's because they out bid someone else?

Not literally but essentially yes. In order for us to believe he is worth £8m it is because we believe other teams could/would outbid us if we offered less. Otherwise why wouldnt we offer £6m or £4m or £2m?

Obviously part of his price is what Utd are willing to accept but given he is out of contract in 6 months (or 12 months for the sake of argument about when this deal was done) then they were willing to accept the maximum price that anyone offered.

Point I am making is a price is dictated by what a seller will accept and what the market is willing to pay.

- -- -

To be honest I think this whole discussion is redundant as I don't think the £8m figure is anywhere near accurate for a lot of reasons and I think it will do his image a great deal of harm unless the club are clear on the details when or if we do buy him (something that is increasingly rare with purchases these days).

Westwood definitely isn't better than Cleverley. That's mad.

I'd rather have Westwood in our midfield than Cleverley.  Perhaps that doesn't mean he's a better player, but he's more fitting for us right now.  The same way that finding an attacking/creative midfielder is a more pressing concern for us than purchasing Tom Cleverley - especially for £8m (I'd be alarmed if we paid that much for him with 6 months left).

Agree.

And for me Westwood is better than Cleverley, opinions and all...

The 8m (if that's what has been agreed) fee applies to the player with 11/12 months left on his contract. Whether people feel we could have got around 8m for Delph in the summer with 11/12 months left on his contract is something we can all disagree on. But you cant compare the Delph situation now with the Cleverley one then. As far as I know through the media there are options over this loan where Utd could take him back or we could complete a full transfer in January. Not sure if legally we or Utd are really allowed to prevent the 3rd option which is Cleverley runs down his contract, avoids signing for us and sees where the free transfer market takes him in the summer. But the 8m fee has nothing to do with there being 6 months left on his contract.

Â