Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Considering passing is meant to be his strength, he can't even do that.

His amount of passes and pass success percentage yesterday were both better than Westwood's averages for the season.

And that's in a team down to 10 men.

Westwood plays all range of passes and puts in corners and free kicks, he is always the midfielder with the most long balls attempted also whereas Cleverley just keeps it simple which leads to him having better looking passing stats.

Ding ding ding

Well that looks like the points changed Stefan. You said passing was his strength and he couldn't even do that right, when quite clearly he could do that right yesterday. Now the different type of passing is a different point, not sure how its related to your criticism of cleverley for yesterdays game.

Also Westwood plays 3.6 long balls per game compared to 3 by cleverley. So not a huge difference.

My original post was not a dig at Westwood, i was just surprised someone who rates Westwood so highly had a go at cleverley with nothing to back it up.

If he went to everton, Liverpool he would be a 8 million player. Because we can't find his strengths and have a similar player he is half that???

I think one of his strengths is high pressing- getting the ball back quickly. We dont do that. We get everyone behind the ball.

So we will never see the best of Cleverley in our side.

• Like 2

Ah so it's the club's fault he's shite?

Nonsense.

Lambert blatently wants 99% of the team to be defensive, thats why he don't get 100% out of Cleverley, or any of the players actually. We look our best when we attack with pace but Lambert has no faith in his team to play this way.

If he went to everton, Liverpool he would be a 8 million player. Because we can't find his strengths and have a similar player he is half that???

I think one of his strengths is high pressing- getting the ball back quickly. We dont do that. We get everyone behind the ball.

Pressing high isn't really a strength of a player, its a tactic. His strength in that case would be his energy, work rate and tackling etc. All of which could be accomplished with either a high or a deep line. I'm not sure we've seen the best of Cleverley, but then again I don't think he is particularly good anyway. 

Hope to be proved wrong.

Pressing high isn't really a strength of a player, its a tactic. His strength in that case would be his energy, work rate and tackling etc. All of which could be accomplished with either a high or a deep line. I'm not sure we've seen the best of Cleverley, but then again I don't think he is particularly good anyway. 

Hope to be proved wrong.

He is not defensive thats for sure. But its becoming a requirement for Lamberts team.

Hope to be proved wrong.

He is not defensive thats for sure. But its becoming a requirement for Lamberts team.

Yeah it is the way we play to be honest. I'd like to see Westwood sitting and Sanchez and either Delph/Cleverley pressing higher. Not all 3 of them in a line.

• Like 1

Cleverley has the play safe mentality that Westwood has but without any of the expansiveness. Just not worth 8 million

Its the way lambert wants him to play, he has been coached to be defensive minded since being here I guess, He certainly wasn't that kind of player at Man U.

Edited by foreveryoung

Cleverley has the play safe mentality that Westwood has but without any of the expansiveness. Just not worth 8 million

Its the way lambert wants him to play, he has been coached to be defensive minded since being here I guess, He certainly wasn't that kind of player at Man U.

Out of interest, Are you basing that on MOTD highlights or did you watch a lot of full Man Utd games?

Out of interest, Are you basing that on MOTD highlights or did you watch a lot of full Man Utd games?

I watch other games for a bit of entertainment when we are shit! So practically all the time yeah!

I watch other games for a bit of entertainment when we are shit! So practically all the time yeah!

Yeah I do the same. I just can't really watch the Premier League personally. I watch every Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund game instead, unfortunately for the latter its been worse than us! 

• Like 1

I think Cleverly is decent enough and could be utilised far better, but would take a lot of deprogramming to get him to be creative and attacking.

If we are losing Delph anyway, there are worse players we could buy.

But we could probably spend 8mil better abroad

Â