Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I keep telling myself this guy isn't worth £8m becasue he's just bang average. Has some good games, some bad games, but doesn't really do anything note-worthy regardless of how he's playing. But then, £8m is quite an average price these days really.

It seems like a lot to us because we've barely spent over £5m on a player since, N'zogbia? 

I'd rather Lambert was given the £8m to go buy a better player, but with Delph soon to be leaving he could be a half decent replacement. 

Edited by PieFacE

The length of time on his contract has no relevance for me.

Is he, in this market, an £8m player? Yes

Is he a player who is going to rapidly decline in value? No, I don't think so.

Get him signed.

He's not worth 8m.

What market is this you're talking of? One where a club can't scout the rest of the world to find better players for half the price?

If we currently had our whole squad fit, he wouldn't my starting XI. 

• Like 2

• But he just isn't worth it.
  • 8m isn't a lot in the modern day but when you're scraping the barrel for funds to waste 8m on average shite like him would be criminal.
  • To rapidly decline you actually have to have ability.

Sums it up pretty well. He's okay and that's all he'll ever be. When you have such limited funds available it's an awful lot to spend on a player that's only okay.

• Like 3

He played really well with Cole in the team, so it shows if there is good movement into space in front of him, he has the ability to see it and pick the pass.

He's not as bad as is being made out at all. If Delph goes and we replace him with a more forward thinking attacking midfielder then having Cleverley around will be a good thing IMHO.

• Like 1

I still think if the fee is anything over 5 perhaps £6million we're not getting a brilliant deal.

The wages are a big sticking point in my mind, if you're paying him 50-60k you're making him a star performer and I'm not sure he's a player who will naturally lift our league position like a high paid player is meant to do.

As it is we don't worry about quality homegrown players, and we have enough players to satisfy our league needs. I'm think you could get a player of the same impact for less than 40k a week, probably less than 30k too.

I do like him as a footballer though, and he's definitely learning what it's like to play in a team where you don't always have the ball, but he needs to show something we don't have, incisive passes, goals from outside the box, linking up midfield and attack or becoming a defensive monster (ha), otherwise he'll be another expensive player that adds to our long term financial burdens.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Am I right in saying that Cleverley and Delph both have 6 months left on their contract?

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

If we lose Delph and sign Cleverley and make a loss then it will sum the way this club is run up perfectly.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

We may agree to sell Delph to a club for £10m in January, but he may refuse to move because he could command a bigger wage if he was a free signing.

Our £8m fee for Cleverley may be set in stone and the deal may have already been agreed.

The length of time on his contract has no relevance for me.

Is he, in this market, an £8m player? Yes

Is he a player who is going to rapidly decline in value? No, I don't think so.

Get him signed.

Seems like an odd thing to say.

In order for him to be worth £8m in this market then there should be another club wanting to buy him but will only go to say £7.5m. Do you think that is the case?

Â