Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Cleverley has the play safe mentality that Westwood has but without any of the expansiveness. Just not worth 8 million

Its the way lambert wants him to play, he has been coached to be defensive minded since being here I guess, He certainly wasn't that kind of player at Man U.

Then why does Westwood pass expansively then?

Cleverly spent his Man U career not expected to do anything special, just passing the ball to a better more creative teammate.

Not sure he has the ability or drive to be anything more than that, and with us there is no creative player to pass the ball to.

Divisive isn't he?

Its more about building a decent squad for me. If we actually have the opportunity to get him signed up I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we passed it up. He isnt setting the world alight at the moment but he works hard and makes good decisions on the field. His distribution is what lets him down (and usually brings the sighs from the crowd). Alot of people seem focussed on his free kick delivery on the weekend - which WAS mainly appalling - but doesnt anyone remember the first one? Fizzed in, curling towards the far post. Great delivery to be fair. His confidence must have taken a battering over the summer but he has come out fighting for us and I respect that.

If and when Delph's off it will leave a first choice midfield 3 of Westwood, Sanchez and Richardson with Bacuna, Sylla, Gardner and DJ as backup and then what? Clarke who can move out of position?

(Herds contract is up in the summer)

even with one of the 3 more advanced like Cole, Grealish, Nzog, Tonev. An injury to Westwood or Sanchez and we're playing full backs in the middle, academy guys or Sylla. 

I think we want Cleverley and A.N.Other to replace Delph

Excellent post, its all too easy to say we can get better for the money but these days 8 mil is nothing. Look at what Liverpool and Spurs have paid on players who have done nothing. I think Cleverley would be a good signing. He has given our midfield that intensity that was lacking before. Its a low risk signing because we know what he's going to give us every week. 

Edited by PaulC

Divisive isn't he?

Its more about building a decent squad for me. If we actually have the opportunity to get him signed up I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we passed it up. He isnt setting the world alight at the moment but he works hard and makes good decisions on the field. His distribution is what lets him down (and usually brings the sighs from the crowd). Alot of people seem focussed on his free kick delivery on the weekend - which WAS mainly appalling - but doesnt anyone remember the first one? Fizzed in, curling towards the far post. Great delivery to be fair. His confidence must have taken a battering over the summer but he has come out fighting for us and I respect that.

If and when Delph's off it will leave a first choice midfield 3 of Westwood, Sanchez and Richardson with Bacuna, Sylla, Gardner and DJ as backup and then what? Clarke who can move out of position?

even with one of the 3 more advanced like Cole, Grealish, Nzog, Tonev. An injury to Westwood or Sanchez and we're playing full backs in the middle, academy guys or Sylla. 

Excellent post, its all too easy to say we can get better for the money but these days 8 mil is nothing. Look at what Liverpool and Spurs have paid on players who have done nothing. I think Cleverley would be a good signing. He has given our midfield that intensity that was lacking before. Its a low risk signing because we know what he's going to give us every week. 

I agree with what you are saying to some extent but the Liverpool and Spurs reference is a bit too far, They basically announced to the world they were minted and got their pants pulled down on pretty much every player they purchased. I would sign him, Just not for £8 million,

Divisive isn't he?

I agree with what you are saying to some extent but the Liverpool and Spurs reference is a bit too far, They basically announced to the world they were minted and got their pants pulled down on pretty much every player they purchased. I would sign him, Just not for £8 million,

Ok I could use Hull as an example then.  Jake Livermore cost 8 mil. I personally think Cleverley is better than him!

Edited by PaulC

Divisive isn't he?

Ok I could use Hull as an example then. 

Yeah that is better. What was it they paid for Livermore? £8million also?

• Like 1

Yes fair enough if there are better value players around then I agree with you. But we can scout the different leagues in Europe and South America  but it more risky. I think Racing Club who won their first title in 13 years last night, have some very skillful midfield players.. Perhaps we can look there!

Edited by PaulC

If he had 3 years left on his contract then yeah I'd agree, anything over £3/4m with 6 months left is madness, I can't see too many clubs coming for him in the summer, no one seriously from abroad in jan, unfortunately if you were going to sign an English midfielder on a free next summer it wouldn't be cleverley that you'd look at

Â