Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

33 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Fantastic at winning the ball, but then he'll play an absolute suicide pass immediately after. Thing is, our midfield is far too lightweight without him. Has to start imo.

Agreed. I really want to love the guy, but then he does something totally retarded. (Passing!)

Way too light weight without him though in the middle though.

• Like 1

He's maddening but essential. 

He plays so many hospital passes that we need to surround him with our players whenever he's in possession. He's slow. He is really poor at tracking runners at corners (yesterday wasn't the first time I've seen him come a cropper - the very first time I ever saw him he was failing to track a runner from a corner for Colombia at the World Cup, which led to conceding a goal). 

Yet despite all these problems, we don't have a choice selecting him. Every other alternative midfield setup is too weak without him. We've seen this time and again. We need to setup to take account of his weaknesses, and just accept that he always has a howler in him. TINA - there is no alternative. 

People highlight his suicidal passes but, what about that clipped ball to the back post to Westwood right at the end? Should have been a great assist for the winner but Westwood royally cocked it up in a true lack of quality or composure. 

This is true. I remember his debut against Newcastle last year, he came on in the 80-somethingth minute and with his first touch chipped an absolutely beautiful pass about forty yards that opened up the whole defence. I thought then we had signed a player better than almost everyone else in the squad. I no longer think that's true, but as I say, he is essential. 

• Like 2

He's actually one of the better passers in the side, he's more than capable of pinging long searching balls all over the pitch, it's just he suffers from lapses of concentration that can put us in a lot of trouble. 

he's a liability at times but he has to play.

We've got nobody else who can play DM like he can.

I think he's much more of a benefit to the team now that his role is more defined than he has been previously, even if consistency remains his biggest problem.

It just highlights how piss poor our squad is that this guy, unremarkable at his best, is pretty much undroppable, regardless of how often he puts us in danger with bizarre lapses in concentration.

I think even his biggest fan would admit he's a liability at times.And those times seem to be at least once or twice a match.

He makes me look back with rose tinted glasses to the time of Gavin McCann.

Edited by Davkaus

On 07/12/2015 at 12:49, Stevo985 said:

he's a liability at times but he has to play.

We've got nobody else who can play DM like he can.

I think he's much more of a benefit to the team now that his role is more defined than he has been previously, even if consistency remains his biggest problem.

Consistency and massive ****-ups that lead to goals.

He probably plays because he's "a defensive rock" but what the hell is he doing for Southampton's goal? Bloody awful from a defensive midfielder.  Loses the man, wrong side of him.  It's terrible and, essentially, cost us 2 points.

On 12/6/2015 at 00:18, JoshVilla said:

Fantastic at winning the ball, but then he'll play an absolute suicide pass immediately after. Thing is, our midfield is far too lightweight without him. Has to start imo.

You're right, we are terrible in midfield and very light.

He needs to be replaced, not because he's a bad player but because he's not a good enough a player for that position. Loves to try a pass, we don't need that in CDM.

When was the last time we invested in a physical midfielder? I think it goes all the way back to Reo-Coker. I'm not counting Sylla as he cost us peanuts (and proved to be worth just that).

I think one of the main reasons we struggled all these years has been a lack of muscle (and aerial presence) in midfield and Sanchez has been the first player who had both in ages and we all see how important he is, despite his ****-ups.

A mifield of midgets won't cut it in thePremier League

Â