Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

13 hours ago, WooJung said:

You could easily say that 4-5-1 was a 4-3-3 when we were attacking...

You're missing his point there. 4-3-3/4-5-1 vs a counter-attacking 4-4-2 it's no surprise the 433 has a higher pass completion rate, that's the point he's making. We all know who came away with the all-important stat in the end anyway. 

Full of errors and painfully slow on the attack. If we are breaking and Sanchez gets the ball the whole thing grinds to a halt as he takes several touches, looks around and often takes the safe backwards pass. He is so clearly suited to the South American / Spanish leagues. Hard to see what benefit he brings unless we are trying to defend a lead and need to stay tight (this never happens).

5 minutes ago, penguin said:

Thought he was brilliant today. Broke up so many Southampton counter-attacks and some of his tackles were ridiculously good.

He made a handful of great interceptions.

Other than that he was a liability. Just far too erratic to protect the back four.

As comically suicidal as he is every game we may simply need to play him.  He antagonises.  Amongst the rest of our silk-slipper'd darlings he's the only one likely to get sweaty and bruised.  He's the toughness we need.  Now, for the skill, vision, fluidity, composure, chemistry, footwork...

I think it summed him up at the end when he'd just gotten headbutted in the cheek, which was clearly quite an impact, but still carried on defending the corner until the ball was cleared and he could go down due to no immediate danger.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think it summed him up at the end when he'd just gotten headbutted in the cheek, which was clearly quite an impact, but still carried on defending the corner until the ball was cleared and he could go down due to no immediate danger.

The one before he went off?

I don't think there was any contact and he had a good look around before falling to the floor and waving his legs about. Excellent time wasting from an experienced campaigner.

I suspect we liked it for different reasons :)

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The one before he went off?

I don't think there was any contact and he had a good look around before falling to the floor and waving his legs about. Excellent time wasting from an experienced campaigner.

I suspect we liked it for different reasons :)

Yeah. I think there was more to it than that. From where I was watching the game there was another replay which showed him getting clocked on the right cheekbone by the guy who looks like Lurch. He took quite a whack and reeled away, putting his hand up for assistance. But stayed on his feet until immediate danger had cleared. Then he still looked in pain when going off the pitch and walking around. If it was just time wasting he would've been back on, rather than us playing with 10 men for a few mins until they brought Gabby on.

He did everything today you would expect.... broke up attacks, tackled, won headers and made a few really crap passes!! We need him.

And I think he was hurt because he did bang into someone and then still looked hurt when off the pitch. He would have been back on as soon as he could if he was play acting.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I didn't think he was that great today and I normally cut him some slack.

At fault for the goal today anyway, got the wrong side of Romeu far too easily. 

Sums up Villa for me

Hovers along the "moderate to poor" scale all the time, just doing enough to keep his head above water. Just when you think that you've had enough of him, he puts in a half decent performance

It's so frustrating & I know its easy to play football from the TV studio but FFS he has to stop giving the ball away-One of his key duties is to give the defenders a breather.

Years back I went on a ground tour. Not sure if they still have it but by Trinity reception they have an International board of players who've represented their countries while playing for us.

It was during JPA's time and they spelt it Columbia then!!

Â