Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

I think Sanchez had a bad game but he more than anyone was thrown under the bus by the team's complete lack of a strategic purpose in those areas of the pitch between where Guzan was standing and where Ospina was standing.

• Like 2

I think Sanchez had a bad game but he more than anyone was thrown under the bus by the team's complete lack of a strategic purpose in those areas of the pitch between where Guzan was standing and where Ospina was standing.

Agreed. The tactics today left us with no chance.

I'm a fan, but no excuses, that was atrocious. He had the most important job on the pitch today, and he fluffed his lines completely. Against bottom half teams, his predilection for passing straight to opposition players doesn't get us into trouble all that often, but Arsenal are Arsenal. 

• Like 1

yes but it doesn't excuse all the wayward passes he made. I was counting them and there was at least 10 in the first half alone.

Far and away his worst game for us since.,....Arsenal at home.

Our midfield and defence can't cope with teams that have pace and movement in central areas, that is clear as we've been reasonably solid against all bar the top 6 in the league this season.

Far and away his worst game for us since.,....Arsenal at home.

Our midfield and defence can't cope with teams that have pace and movement in central areas, that is clear as we've been reasonably solid against all bar the top 6 in the league this season.

....all the more reason for the criticism of the way we were set up.

Westwood and Delph alongside Sanchez are absolutely the wrong direction to go in.We need more Gils.Hes the only one in the team who tries things, all the rest play safe, square passes.

We had 52% possession today, but lost the game 5-0.What does that tell you?....that we don;t know what to do with it when we have it.No running off the ball from the forwards or midfield, nobody taking the ball, apart from Gil, who actually runs at the opposition, and tries to hurt them, nobody up front with any confidence.

We looked awful today, and i blame PL, as Carragher said, we played far too high up the pitch, and left too many gaps to our defence.He should have started with Bacuna, Sanchez and Delph, and kept it tight, his over exposure of Clark left a goal down after 10 mins, and that was it.

Sanchez had a poor game, but he doesn't have many, and we certainly need him , and Delph alongside him, to play well in the next few weeks.

We had 52% possession today, but lost the game 5-0.What does that tell you?

...It tells me that most of our possession was in our own half where it doesn't hurt the opposition.

Thats why possession in isolation is useless but accompanied by other criteria is where it come in to its own.

Counter attacking is equally as useless unaccompanied by other criteria, but allied to possession as Arsenal do ....is what you got today.

I like Carlos.

I think he's a very good player.

But today he was absolutely dreadful. One of the worst performances I can remember.

And it wasn't just the fact he got caught in possession or passed the ball to the opposition or out of play every time he got it.

It was the fact that he was our DM and he did absolutely nothing to break up Arsenal's midfield.

Cazorla was between the lines every time and had all day to do whatever he wanted.

Hopefully a one off. But **** me he was so bad.

Overall he's made great strides in the last few months but looked out of his depth again v Arsenal so that maybe tempers some of the people who were getting carried away thinking for example he could be our answer to our lack of creativity on account of his performance v Sunderland. It was good but it was Sunderland. Similarly today it was bad but it was Arsenal.

I don't buy this whatsoever.

We did play too gung ho against a team like Arsenal.

But that doesn't excuse Sanchez's performance one bit.

• Like 2

mentioned it in the lambert thread, the MOTD analysis was really interesting, sanchez on the ball, delph wide of him with nothing ahead of him standing still, sanchez waving arms everywhere telling him to push up, eventually he stands still himself, looks at delph and then plays a 5 yard sideways pass puts both his hands on his hips and looks utterly fed up

it was his only successful pass of the game  :trollface:

but seriously his body language was horrible, telling team mates to run past him and no one does, that's not defending his awful performance and constant long balls forward that at least twice that i can remember werent within 20m of a villa player, but you could clearly see the frustration in him

mentioned it in the lambert thread, the MOTD analysis was really interesting, sanchez on the ball, delph wide of him with nothing ahead of him standing still, sanchez waving arms everywhere telling him to push up, eventually he stands still himself, looks at delph and then plays a 5 yard sideways pass puts both his hands on his hips and looks utterly fed up

it was his only successful pass of the game  :trollface:

but seriously his body language was horrible, telling team mates to run past him and no one does, that's not defending his awful performance and constant long balls forward that at least twice that i can remember werent within 20m of a villa player, but you could clearly see the frustration in him

I noticed that. It was at Cleverley. He was standing right next to him calling for it. Hes like come on move elsewhere and waving at him to move forward.

that is not the 1st time this season though ive noticed that. The rest of the midfield have zero movement, its pathetic. If we had Xavi or Pirlo in their prime playing in front of the defence it would still be the same problem

Â