Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

He was utterly superb yesterday. A proper footballer if ever we've had one.

But we're so desperate to have players in the team on the same wavelength it's untrue.

I'd argue Cole, Benteke, and our 3 CB's are on the same wavelength. Shame Cole is injured - leaves a big hole.

Why are people so obsessed with playing a diamond?

I'm a fan myself, I think it's very versatile. For the same reason I'm a fan of the back 3, but in both cases it needs to be deployed correctly. The players need to be able to understand their roles in any given situation perfectly.

Back to Sanchez, whatever his role is now it's working. Excuse me for repeating myself but this is no exaggeration; I've not seen a midfield performance like that in many years. He's the complete package and on top of that he seems to have a really good attitude, he plays like a man who is settled and happy, with confidence (over at times!) and verve.

First name on the teamsheet.

As DDID says, it can work if but there is a reason that very few teams play it - to create the balance and counteract the lack of width is difficult. Not to mention that it's been utterly awful whenever Lambert has attempted it here also.

Edited by Isa

Despite the fact that I rate Westwood (and Cleverley to an extent), I can't help thinking our best midfield will end up being Sanchez, delph and an attacking midfielder.

That obviously depends on delph staying and us signing an attacking midfielder though!

As I have said before, Sanchez is a proper midfielder who makes an impression in the game. Get a couple more like him and forget about Westwood and Cleverly who `do the unseen stuff'. 

As DDID says, it can work if but there is a reason that very few teams play it - to create the balance and counteract the lack of width is difficult. Not to mention that it's been utterly awful whenever Lambert has attempted it here also.

I swear we've always performed well when we used the diamond? But maybe that's because I only remember our performance at Anfield with it.

I swear we've always performed well when we used the diamond? But maybe that's because I only remember our performance at Anfield with it.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Anfield game. But that was the exception. Think to when we played a diamond during Lambert's first season and games last season like Cardiff (home) and Albion (away).

Exactly my point Antrim black. People are noticing Sanchez. Let's have less people excusing Westwood by saying he keeps us ticking over and more people wanting proper midfielders like Sanchez who actually have an impact upon a game

• Like 1

We've never had the players for the diamond.  Specifically full backs that bomb forward, a good DM and a good no 10.   We now have Hutton and Sanhcez but I don't think Cissokho has it in him to do that job and we are still missing that number 10.

• Like 1

------------------Guzan-----------------

--Hutton---Okore---Vlaar--Cissokho-

--------------------Clark------------------

------Bacuna-----------------Gabby----

------------------Sanchez-----------------

----------Benteke------Grealish-------- 

If sanchez can clean up the mess and create from the defence to midfield then play him in the midfield to strikers link for the Palace game!

I really hope we never line up like that.

Would you like to share that information with me?

Being charitable, you've got 4 players playing out of position, a recipe for chaos if ever there was one. 

If sanchez can clean up the mess and create from the defence to midfield then play him in the midfield to strikers link for the Palace game!

I really hope we never line up like that.

Would you like to share that information with me?

Being charitable, you've got 4 players playing out of position, a recipe for chaos if ever there was one. 

Normal Saturday then!

• Like 2

Why is that whenever we have a player who shows any type of ability to pass the ball, there seems to be a scramble to play him in the hole? I even saw some mention playing Benteke there... Sanchez is not an attacking midfielder. Play him where he's been excelling.

On the diamond, we played it in Lambert's first season in the home win against Swansea when we dominated them, iirc.

Edited by adz.villa

Why is that whenever we have a player who shows any type of ability to pass the ball, there seems to be a scramble to play him in the hole? I even saw some mention playing Benteke there... Sanchez is not an attacking midfielder. Play him where he's been excelling.

On the diamond, we played it in Lambert's first season in the home win against Swansea when we dominated them, iirc.

Did you used to sit behind me in the Holte for a number of years and say that about Barry? then followed me to the Trinity and say the same thing about Milner  :D

Did you used to sit behind me in the Holte for a number of years and say that about Barry? then followed me to the Trinity and say the same thing about Milner  :D

nope, but he seems like a sensible guy ;)

That's one of the worst potential lineups I've ever seen. WTF are you thinking there mate :lol:

• Like 2

That line up looks horrendous ! Prehaps this one would be more suitable .

........................joe cole.........................

Clark............Benteke......Johnson...........Weiman

Guzan.........Gabby....... Sanchez.........Westwood

...... (Red card). .......Nigel Spink.

Â