Philippe Senderos

samjp26

Are people really basing this on one game though? I've seen Senderos play several times and he is pretty shit

Some are some are not

This game has just highlighted the mistakes that maybe others fail to see.....lets face it Gerrard and England managed one too, but they make up for it with their league performances.

Senderos has made plenty of howlers, when you can't get in the Fulham team, who had one of the worst defensive records last season, it don't help your reputation does it?

sound like a squad filler to me.....get down early and own a pair of boots and Lambert might get to hear about you :)

Are people really basing this on one game though? I've seen Senderos play several times and he is pretty shit

I'd have to agree. I don't really understand the don't judge him till he plays for us argument. He's not an unknown prospect or someone who plays in a league no one really watches. It's like when we signed Heskey, we know exactly what we're getting.

I think he's a poor player but that's the level the owner has decided we're at. Until that changes then this is what we have to expect.

• Like 2

Senderos or Lescott ? ......Hmmmm

Yes because we had that choice.

Exactly. It's not even like they were signed with the same squad roles in mind. Lescott will be a starter at West Brom wheras Senderos is likely to be back-up/rotation here.

I think Lescott is overrated as well. Obviously he's not a bad option and better than Senderos but some are making him out to be brilliant. Not exactly a young player either.

Just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I'm clutching at straws. It's not an amazing signing but it's nothing that laughable either.

Have to say, that claim doesn't match my experience. Plenty of people in my social circle mocking us after we signed him, and it's not really hard to see why. 

Let's be fair though a lot of non-Villa fans are pretty ignorant when it comes to the situation here.

Edited by Mantis

Who is likely to be our first choice pairing next season? Last season Vlaar started alongside Baker and when Baker got injured Clark came in alongside Vlaar and when Clark got injured it was Okore.

We currently now have Vlaar who has a year left on his contract and who some believe could well post world cup attract interest from those currently higher up the ladder, the chuckle brothers, Okore who has 70 odd games in the Danish league under his belt, and maybe fit for the start of next season after a very serious injury, and Senderos.

You throw in the lack of a decent right or left sided full back and a defensive midfielder then as things stand I wouldn't put too much money on our dire defensive record under Lambert showing much improvement. Lets hope come August 16th things look a lot different.

Vlaar and Okore. It was blatantly obvious that that was the plan last season until Okore got his injury.

Was it really. To you maybe. The fact that Vlaar and Baker started the first game against Arsenal and the next game Clark started alongside Vlaar until he got injured then Okore came on to me at the very least suggests that Lambert knew it was going to take a while for Okore to get up to speed.

Simple fact of the matter is Okore looks a promising prospect but only has 70 odd games under his belt in a much inferior league. I genuinely don't know and I would suggest nobody else on here knows how he is going to adapt to playing in this league week in week out especially after such a serious injury. You would at the very least expect that it will take him a while to adjust as was the case at the start of last season.

Lambert has built a squad around promising young players that looked good in much inferior leagues. Some of them have looked good, others okay and other like Luna, Bennett, Tonev, Sylla and Lowton last season looked way out of their depth. Lets hope Okore falls into the category that works out because when your other choices are Senderos and the chuckle brothers if Okore doesn't turn out to be the player some are building him up to be then defensively our prospects again don't look too clever.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Who is likely to be our first choice pairing next season? Last season Vlaar started alongside Baker and when Baker got injured Clark came in alongside Vlaar and when Clark got injured it was Okore.

We currently now have Vlaar who has a year left on his contract and who some believe could well post world cup attract interest from those currently higher up the ladder, the chuckle brothers, Okore who has 70 odd games in the Danish league under his belt, and maybe fit for the start of next season after a very serious injury, and Senderos.

You throw in the lack of a decent right or left sided full back and a defensive midfielder then as things stand I wouldn't put too much money on our dire defensive record under Lambert showing much improvement. Lets hope come August 16th things look a lot different.

Vlaar and Okore. It was blatantly obvious that that was the plan last season until Okore got his injury.

Was it really. To you maybe. The fact that Vlaar and Baker started the first game against Arsenal and the next game Clark started alongside Vlaar until he got injured then Okore came on to me at the very least suggests that Lambert knew it was going to take a while for Okore to get up to speed.

Simple fact of the matter is Okore looks a promising prospect but only has 70 odd games under his belt in a much inferior league. I genuinely don't know and I would suggest nobody else on here knows how he is going to adapt to playing in this league week in week out especially after such a serious injury. You would at the very least expect that it will take him a while to adjust as was the case at the start of last season.

Lambert has built a squad around promising young players that looked good in much inferior leagues. Some of them have looked good, others okay and other like Luna, Bennett, Tonev, Sylla and Lowton last season looked way out of their depth. Lets hope Okore falls into the category that works out because when your other choices are Senderos and the chuckle brothers if Okore doesn't turn out to be the player some are building him up to be then defensively our prospects again don't look too clever.

Yes, it was. Just because Lambert didn't throw Okore in straight away in the first game of the season doesn't mean that he wasn't supposed to be first choice along with Vlaar. If he hadn't gotten that injury I'm pretty sure we would've seen more of him than Baker and Clark put together last season. The fact that he started the two league games (plus the cup game where we played virtually a full strength side) after his debut at Chelsea is an obvious indicator that he was ahead of Baker and Clark in the pecking order.

Okore was a fantastic prospect that was courted by a lot of clubs, including Chelsea. While he was still a prospect in the same way that players like Luna, Tonev, Sylla etc were you can't really group him with them. He looked pretty decent as well. If he and Vlaar both stay fit this season I'll be much less worried about or defence than I was last season.

Edited by Mantis

I think okore was signed as first choice but he might not have been a consistently good premier league player given his age and lack of experience.

I think he will be good but I can't see him making a huge difference to the amount of goals we concede. Our defence and the way its organised and protected is terrible and I doubt we'll see a significant change in the goals conceded column next year.

• Like 1

I think okore was signed as first choice but he might not have been a consistently good premier league player given his age and lack of experience.

I think he will be good but I can't see him making a huge difference to the amount of goals we concede. Our defence and the way its organised and protected is terrible and I doubt we'll see a significant change in the goals conceded column next year.

Agreed. The problem isn't just our centrebacks, it's also the full-backs who get out of position and our deep-lying midfielders who don't win or keep possession very well. 

• Like 1

Poor bugger. Clearly never going to be given a chance and as soon as he makes his first mistake, he'll get lambasted and never gain any confidence. 

NOBODY giving him no chance, EVERYBODY will back him, this is not the SAME as not rating him.

• Like 3

Â