Philippe Senderos

samjp26

Guys, Villa are now getting relegated based on a WC match....get a grip.

To be fair many have been saying this for ages. This game got nothing to do with it.
Robbie Savage said we would be relegated, Iain Dowie believed it as well, I think even Grimace and Ronald McDonald did too at one stage. The experts (and I use that term loosely, and with a shudder) have got it wrong on each occasion. Mark my words...we will be fine.

Dunno man. Bentake to miss part of the season and the takeover uncertainty surrounding the club. If there's ever a season we will go down. This will most likely be it.

If you can bet on villa going down I'd say Phil your boots.

Not that I don't think there's a fair chance of it, but people have been saying this for years.

I mean, if Benteke makes a good recovery and stays fit for the rest of the season we'll still have him fit for longer than we had him last season.

Edited by Mantis

To be fair many have been saying this for ages. This game got nothing to do with it.

Robbie Savage said we would be relegated, Iain Dowie believed it as well, I think even Grimace and Ronald McDonald did too at one stage. The experts (and I use that term loosely, and with a shudder)  have got it wrong on each occasion. Mark my words...we will be fine.

I agree we will be fine but I'm puzzled by this signing. Baker is poor so yes he is a marginally better option than him but with decent coaching and a run of games alongside Vlaar I think Clark will prove to be far better than Senderos.

I really hope he is 4th choice behind Vlaar, Okore and Clark.

• Like 1

Senderos comes into the squad to give us an experienced option if Vlaar or Okore get injured. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply deluding themselves into making some wider attack on a) Lambert b.) Lerner or c) both. The club is up for sale and these things are not done overnight. Honestly, despite one bad performance, Senderos cannot be a worse option on the bench than Clark or Baker. One bad display against a very good French team does not negate the fact that was a transitionary signing for a squad that is thin on numbers and experience.

So we are deluded now? Do you just hate the fans?

Robbie Savage said we would be relegated, Iain Dowie believed it as well, I think even Grimace and Ronald McDonald did too at one stage. The experts (and I use that term loosely, and with a shudder) have got it wrong on each occasion. Mark my words...we will be fine.
Dunno man. Bentake to miss part of the season and the takeover uncertainty surrounding the club. If there's ever a season we will go down. This will most likely be it.

Not that I don't think there's a fair chance of it, but people have been saying this for years.

True but is it fair to say we are getting closer each season? Do you remember the club ever having as bad a squad or being surrounded by as much negativity as it is now? I honesty can't.

Clark isn't a kid and he has shown no obvious sign of improvement despite quite a considerable amount of games I see no reason to believe he is likely to improve.

There is no chance that Senderos is coming in to be 4th choice behind Clark in my view and to say he is only marginally better than Baker is in my view a very long way from being accurate.

True but is it fair to say we are getting closer each season? Do you remember the club ever having as bad a squad or being surrounded by as much negativity as it is now? I honesty can't.

Sadly yes but that is off topic so lets keep it about Senderos please.

If he signed for any other PL club you would all be in 'Other Football' laughing at the club in question.

Like I said, he isn't magically going to become a great defender after being a joke at every club he's been at. Just because he's a Villa player now, doesn't mean you can't give a realistic view and not a claret & blue tinted specs view

• Like 3

If he signed for any other PL club you would all be in 'Other Football' laughing at the club in question.

Depends on the situation. I wouldn't be laughing if any other club in our position signed him as probably backup.

Depends on the situation. I wouldn't be laughing if any other club in our position signed him as probably backup.

You keep clutching those straws mate

• Like 1

You keep clutching those straws mate

Just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I'm clutching at straws. It's not an amazing signing but it's nothing that laughable either.

Edited by Mantis

Who is likely to be our first choice pairing next season? Last season Vlaar started alongside Baker and when Baker got injured Clark came in alongside Vlaar and when Clark got injured it was Okore.

We currently now have Vlaar who has a year left on his contract and who some believe could well post world cup attract interest from those currently higher up the ladder, the chuckle brothers, Okore who has 70 odd games in the Danish league under his belt, and maybe fit for the start of next season after a very serious injury, and Senderos.

You throw in the lack of a decent right or left sided full back and a defensive midfielder then as things stand I wouldn't put too much money on our dire defensive record under Lambert showing much improvement. Lets hope come August 16th things look a lot different.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Why is it clutching at straws? Vlaar is clearly first choice and with Okore back in the fold, if he's as good as everyone thinks he is he shall be first choice too. That means Senderos will probably be backup. I'd rather have him there than Baker and Clark.

The fact is, with no investment, what other kind of signings do we expect? I think he's a sensible signing under the circumstances. No transfer fee and one would assume modest wages. If Okore and Vlaar stay fit for most of the season I doubt we'd even see Senderos that much.

Rovers is right in what he says above. Getting in a tizz just because the French spanked the Swiss is just pointless.

• Like 1

Who is likely to be our first choice pairing next season? Last season Vlaar started alongside Baker and when Baker got injured Clark came in alongside Vlaar and when Clark got injured it was Okore.

We currently now have Vlaar who has a year left on his contract and who some believe could well post world cup attract interest from those currently higher up the ladder, the chuckle brothers, Okore who has 70 odd games in the Danish league under his belt, and maybe fit for the start of next season after a very serious injury, and Senderos.

You throw in the lack of a decent right or left sided full back and a defensive midfielder then as things stand I wouldn't put too much money on our dire defensive record under Lambert showing much improvement. Lets hope come August 16th things look a lot different.

Vlaar and Okore. It was blatantly obvious that that was the plan last season until Okore got his injury.

I don't rate senderos. Hes pretty poor. But I don't see how any conclusions can be drawn from a game where his entire team was overrun.

Probably because he's joined a team that usually gets overrun?

• Like 3

Still a good signing for me. He might have a worldie in his next game and be hailed as Franz Beckenbauer, as Vlaar was recently.

Just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I'm clutching at straws. It's not an amazing signing but it's nothing that laughable either.

Have to say, that claim doesn't match my experience. Plenty of people in my social circle mocking us after we signed him, and it's not really hard to see why. 

Clark isn't a kid and he has shown no obvious sign of improvement despite quite a considerable amount of games I see no reason to believe he is likely to improve.

There is no chance that Senderos is coming in to be 4th choice behind Clark in my view and to say he is only marginally better than Baker is in my view a very long way from being accurate.

Obviously Clark 'isn't a kid', but 1) he has shown some improvement, albeit not as much as any of us would have liked, and 2) 24 is before your prime - or at least only at the very beginning of it - for most CB's. 

He may well be ahead of Clark in the pecking order, but that doesn't mean that's a good decision. People are acting as if his performance last night was some kind of anomaly, but Fulham were the league's leakiest defence last year and he made no appreciable difference to the number of goals conceded per game. He's not moving on a free transfer from a relegated team during the prime years of his career because he's a great player. 

Baker and Clark haven't been successful, but they are younger, and they do have more upside. This signing is just more dross that will be difficult to remove from the wage bill down the road. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â