The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've never thought of writing as a job in all honesty, but I do enjoy it. I don't think I've ever thought of my writing as anything more than good, certainly not enough to get paid for it.

Thanks, appreciate the thoughts (and feedback, I guess!) - I'll look into Copify, I don't have much to lose giving it a go I guess.

Thanks again

FWIW I completely agree with @Frobisher and think it's a very good idea. You're an extremely good writer. Nobody on this site is better at explaining their opinions IMO. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've never thought of writing as a job in all honesty, but I do enjoy it. I don't think I've ever thought of my writing as anything more than good, certainly not enough to get paid for it.

Thanks, appreciate the thoughts (and feedback, I guess!) - I'll look into Copify, I don't have much to lose giving it a go I guess.

Thanks again

You’re an excellent writer, mate. Much better than a lot of people who are being paid decent money to write. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

FWIW I completely agree with @Frobisher and think it's a very good idea. You're an extremely good writer. Nobody on this site is better at explaining their opinions IMO. 

Yep, absolutely agree with you both. I've thought for a while now that @Chindieshould have a crack at writing professionally. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chindie said:

Err, thanks all. I'm surprised people think my writing is good enough. Definitely an eye opener.

Food for thought. Thanks all again.

For balance, I think you're an absolute humongous dog Todd of a man.

Edited by lapal_fan

On 04/09/2019 at 12:11, StefanAVFC said:

I'm looking for something else, as I'm moving in with my girlfriend in another city.

However, **** 3 month notice period. 3 whole months. Meaning if I don't find anything by end of september, I can't start anything until February.

Worried it'll be a big putoff for employers and it's delaying my plans too.

I think I'll end up staying and working from the other office.

I spoke with my boss about my concerns and it looks like he wants me to lead a project to almost double our team, reshape it and I'll get more money.

Just need to run it by our big boss.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one 

I worked freelance and self employed for something like 8 years, and then last year I felt bored and tired of it all, almost like I needed a change. 

I'd been looking to move away from where live and I've got a massive soft spot for Devon (as @markavfc40 knows!) and started looking for jobs there - from about March this year. 

A few opportunities came up but they weren't quite right. As I said, I'd spent a long time getting bored and needing a change, but the roles being offered would mean a lot of freelance jobs. For more background on my feelings/what went on on my life, I posted in the mental health thread a few months back.

Anyhow, I was offered a job in July, on the South coast, and it's wonderful, I get to come up with ideas and share news about how this charity helps vulnerable people. It's amazing and it means I can give something back. As @bickster will tell you, I was a bit of a hotheaded clearing in the woods when young. 😂 And now I just want to give back.

So, this job is awesome (apart from the hour ferry journey there and back), but I can't stop thinking about relocating to the South Devon area, it's like a little bug in my brain and it's a place where I actually feel at home, it's like a magnet.

I also don't want to let the charity down and I do love the work. I used to walk out on things too easily when younger, and I don't want to do that.

What do I do? 

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Here's one 

I worked freelance and self employed for something like 8 years, and then last year I felt bored and tired of it all, almost like I needed a change. 

I'd been looking to move away from where live and I've got a massive soft spot for Devon (as @markavfc40 knows!) and started looking for jobs there - from about March this year. 

A few opportunities came up but they weren't quite right. As I said, I'd spent a long time getting bored and needing a change, but the roles being offered would mean a lot of freelance jobs. For more background on my feelings/what went on on my life, I posted in the mental health thread a few months back.

Anyhow, I was offered a job in July, on the South coast, and it's wonderful, I get to come up with ideas and share news about how this charity helps vulnerable people. It's amazing and it means I can give something back. As @bickster will tell you, I was a bit of a hotheaded clearing in the woods when young. 😂 And now I just want to give back.

So, this job is awesome (apart from the hour ferry journey there and back), but I can't stop thinking about relocating to the South Devon area, it's like a little bug in my brain and it's a place where I actually feel at home, it's like a magnet.

I also don't want to let the charity down and I do love the work. I used to walk out on things too easily when younger, and I don't want to do that.

What do I do? 

Sounds like the kind of opportunity that will haunt you if you don't take it. Better to do something like that if you can than have it burn away at you if you find you can't in the future.

On 30/09/2019 at 09:19, avfcDJ said:

Here's one 

What do I do? 

Take another job, hate it after only a few months in and regret letting the chance pass you by.

Or

Move to an area you like with a job you enjoy.

What was the question again?

I got asked today by the boss if I fancy looking after his Group whilst he takes 2 weeks leave.  Basically, he's asking me to be responsible for ~80 staff (over 5 teams) and be his representative at upper management meetings and such like.  I've only been in my post as a Team Leader since May (formally), and whilst I think I'm doing OK, this gives me the heeby jeebies!*

*I take it as a huge vote of confidence and whilst I'm not looking forward to it (at all), I'll accept this challenge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trekka said:

I got asked today by the boss if I fancy looking after his Group whilst he takes 2 weeks leave.  Basically, he's asking me to be responsible for ~80 staff (over 5 teams) and be his representative at upper management meetings and such like.  I've only been in my post as a Team Leader since May (formally), and whilst I think I'm doing OK, this gives me the heeby jeebies!*

*I take it as a huge vote of confidence and whilst I'm not looking forward to it (at all), I'll accept this challenge!

Embrace it, they obviously rate you

Hard to say, two angles, one of the 'seize the opportunity' sort - will look good, raise your profile and be something you document at pay reviews etc. The other angle is 'getting mugged off for two weeks' and you're not really going to gain anything from it.

Ultimately in my experience I've experienced both of those 'angles' so it takes some skill to pick and choose when to step up and when to just do the job you are paid for. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hard to say, two angles, one of the 'seize the opportunity' sort - will look good, raise your profile and be something you document at pay reviews etc. The other angle is 'getting mugged off for two weeks' and you're not really going to gain anything from it.

Ultimately in my experience I've experienced both of those 'angles' so it takes some skill to pick and choose when to step up and when to just do the job you are paid for. 

Yea there is that.

For me, I'd do it.  It's 2 weeks and if everything goes tits up, you have that experience for future jobs or whatever.  

My only worry would be if they keep giving you this superior work, for the same wages on a rolling basis, then you're not getting paid for the grade. 

As I said, make sure it's only for the term, be grateful that you've been considered, but position yourself where you look after you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am pondering a move from geo engineering to property development. Any one switched areas and been happy with it? 

Is that why you've been acting like a word removed for so long? 

You've been practicing for being a property developer? 

:lol: 

;)  

It all makes so much sense now :D  

• Haha 1

Â