The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes, yes I am ;)

I actually remembered that from the last time this discussion came up, but I didn't want to use you as a specific example as then I'd be in the uneviable position of having to defend you being great from incredulous VTers :P

27 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I actually remembered that from the last time this discussion came up, but I didn't want to use you as a specific example as then I'd be in the uneviable position of having to defend you being great from incredulous VTers :P

Haha thanks man.

You're on my good list.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Hehe. Oops. I’d forgotten that we had members of the recruiting fraternity within our ranks. No offence intended ;)

Don't worry, slagging off recruiters takes the heat off bankers!

I dread to think how many superstars we would be without if we gave a shit about what people wear at our place. That said, sysadmins and developers aren't usually in the upper echelons of dress-code at the best of times

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I dread to think how many superstars we would be without if we gave a shit about what people wear at our place. That said, sysadmins and developers aren't usually in the upper echelons of dress-code at the best of times

Absolutely, once you’re in who gives a shit, I work for a software company and the dress code is totally casual, people wear whatever they want.

But for an interview, for me that remains a different kettle of fish.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But for an interview, for me that remains a different kettle of fish.

I think there is a culture difference here though. You Brits have a much higher standard overall. Unless you work in sales or upper management, there is not even a shirt and tie culture here. (With exceptions of course) I'd say shirt at a stretch and polo shirt the norm unless you do factory floors. (Or me, dressing like a hobo)

On 11/11/2019 at 23:28, wilko154 said:

Looks like I have an interview this week, the job is office based for another company.

Would you say I need a suit for it? The only suits I have are more wedding/informal sorts.

I normally go to interviews in trousers, with a shirt and tie. Would this be considered too informal?

Basically is a jacket a requirement?

Can't hurt. It's definitely considered professional attire.

I doubt anyone would deem it inappropriate, perhaps unnecessary, but I doubt you'll be marked down for it.

I have come across a recruitment consultant who I heard was a word removed and would throw anything and everything at you to make you sweat and not put you forward for the job.

She lived up to her reputation, surprisingly, as I thought I could handle difficult people, but she had a knack for telling you every reason why you couldn't do the most basic work.

Entry level stuff, and she would just openly tell you why she thought you wouldn't cut it, without knowing you or having met you previously.

Spiel was that she needs to filter those who are up to it from those who aren't, so that as a recruitment consultant she maintains positive relations with employers.

Understandable, but it was beyond a joke how pathetic and negative this woman was, something seriously wrong with her. I'd tell her an answer, and she'd reflex rebut it.

It should be about if the candidate can do the work, not how much bullying they can tolerate whilst convincing someone who opposes everything with unfounded put downs.

Even she wouldn't be able to knock you for being presentable and dressing with the intent to impress.

Regardless of how ridiculous and unnecessary I think suits are for everyday attire. It's still universally considered professional.

16 hours ago, choffer said:

I’m just thankful we don’t have any estate agents on here. 

If you need someone to take out any understandable anger at estate agents I'm a surveyor and most people think that means 'basically an estate agent'.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so, so bored in my job. It's a dull admin job in a library that was supposed to be a a holding role whilst I also did a postgrad diploma qualification for Librarianship. It's been going over 4 years and I'm still a module or two to go, so probably another tedious 12 months of having this dull course to finish. I was told that it shouldn't stop me applying for jobs. I've applied for 7/8, rejected in all, no interviews and only feedback briefly on one. These were all internal roles, and the university is mostly funding my qualification. This seems self-defeating to me. The climate at the moment is pretty grim, with cuts, and voluntary redundancies this summer, so competition for the rare job that isn't fixed term, is huge, and I well down the queue evidently, plenty of people with simply more experience I presume. I've done job shadowing of other roles where I can to add lines to the CV and all that, but I can see myself being a pointless admin assistant for many years to come. It's a pathetic job. IOver the time, I ended up spending long hours gambling online to pass the time. I've cut that out, I've tried asking for more responsibility, but the little projects here and there that come up are so dull. I don't give a shit about health and safety admin. It's so bureaucratic, I've lost all interest in hanging around really, but I don't want to jeapardise future opportunities by appearing too disinterested.

This switch to librarianship training came about 4/5 years ago, when I knocked a pursuit in academia on the head as I couldn't get funding, and frankly the tales of woe in terms of working prospects there put me off too. I'm mid 30s, and most of my CV consists of admin type roles, which I've grown to loathe. I briefly worked in the financial sector doing PPI complaints, I took the money on offer for glorified admin, but hated the lack of security so it wasn't a long term option, and well philosophically not exactly my cup of tea.

I know the work climate is pretty ****, and stability has to be some option as my partner and I will be trying to start a family next year. She hates her job too, but she'll stick around, as in the civil service she'll have good maternity cover, so if one of us is going to be less miserable at work soon, it's more likely to be me. The one slight advantage I suppose is that due to being in a fairly low paid job already, there's not too much risk to starting afresh elsewhere, but equally, I really have no energy to then have to do another damn qualification elsewhere. It saps your energy trying to study whilst working, I feel I've got to somehow use this damn qualification I'm painstakingly slowly trying to acquire.

My motivation is at zero.

Any inspiring job switch stories from you lot, particularly later on in life?

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

After 2 previous rejections in the past year, eventually got a promotion yesterday. Not been allowed to tell anyone in the office yet though. Everyone asking me if I’d found out and I’m sat there grinning but saying no :wacko:

I was that happy when they told me, I actually forgot to ask who I’m reporting to. Will have to go back to them on Monday and confirm :P

Excellent new mate. Fair amount of extra bunce I hope?

200.gif

• Thanks 1

The company I'm with is looking to move the entire global sales team off the books to work as independent contractors working on commission. The idea has  come from the US based executive team that think this is a great way to cut costs, boost profits,etc ,etc..... 

The issue is that no one wants to accept the terms and its now a waiting game to see who will hold their nerve, ie risk unemployment to see if the company will fold on their plans. The company (Manufacturing) risk a catastrophic effect on sales and the costs that come with that... So far we are sticking together but you cant rely on brave words too much when livelihoods are at stake..  

Anyone else been through something similar that can offer advice?

1 hour ago, astondalston said:

The company I'm with is looking to move the entire global sales team off the books to work as independent contractors working on commission. The idea has  come from the US based executive team that think this is a great way to cut costs, boost profits,etc ,etc..... 

The issue is that no one wants to accept the terms and its now a waiting game to see who will hold their nerve, ie risk unemployment to see if the company will fold on their plans. The company (Manufacturing) risk a catastrophic effect on sales and the costs that come with that... So far we are sticking together but you cant rely on brave words too much when livelihoods are at stake..  

No but if I were you I'd be updating my CV and contacting recruiters. Being in London there should be plenty of options for you in sales and the job market there is very good. Shit like that isn't worth the hassle. Even if you're successful the entire episode will leave a bitter taste in a number of senior people's mouths and they will probably look for ways to screw you all in the future.

2 hours ago, astondalston said:

How many of you are there?

You can have a fair idea if 12 people you know will stick it out, less so if there’s a hundred of you in this boat.

Also, is there a union? If there is a union it really is never too late to join. Went through something similar a very long time ago and whilst unions aren’t ‘cool’ bloody hell they helped with reminding us and more importantly the management on some basic legal rights stuff.

To presume the bosses will just get there revenge (as above) If you resist, we may as well all pack up and work gig shifts for McAmazon ffs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Plan B (contacting recruiters) is already underway. Problem is I really enjoy my job and have great colleagues/manager so dont want to change unless it becomes untenable. My preference would be to encourage their plan to fail through concerted heel dragging/low level resistance ie asking for draft contracts to be translated into local languages, taking holidays, requesting further information,etc which pushes them outside their really tight schedule they have set for themselves. this would place pressure on the two individuals who have concocted this plan from the Board. Slim chance perhaps but it feels good to resist

There is no single union as we're spread across Europe. Can anyone suggest a good employment lawyer to review contracts?

Â