The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

they give you £2k funding for training. I'm wondering whether to just complete a load of courses/qualifications in my current field of ...Financial Crime, or whether to use that to train in something completely new.

Well, what you could do is, like spend it all on something fun, like booze n'fags n'that and pretend you'd spent it on a course. And then if you got caught you could say "I didn't know it was a financial cr....ah! I've just seen a problem with that ruse.

Don't be bad, kids.

• Like 2

We just had a meeting with one of the senior bosses, thanking us for our work, telling us how "Out of all the teams, yours is consistently the highest performing, the 'shining light' of our project, we really want to express our thanks for how well your team has performed this year, especially considering the.... news", and on top of that, the guy at the very top who basically pulled the trigger on us is apparently coming to the office to thank everyone for their hard work tomorrow.

I'm glad I'm working from home tomorrow. I can't stomach another insincere pat on the back, knowing that we'll all be out on our arses next June. 

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Money Laundering is your go to there, then. 

I might give Dr Tony a call.

Edited by Rob182
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Well, what you could do is, like spend it all on something fun, like booze n'fags n'that and pretend you'd spent it on a course. And then if you got caught you could say "I didn't know it was a financial cr....ah! I've just seen a problem with that ruse.

Don't be bad, kids.

I WAS TRYING TO BECOME AN PROFESSIONAL SMOKER!!!!! LIKE THE OLDEN DAYS!!!!

GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(act exacerbated). 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Don't be bad, kids.

Unfortunately it's not just a Harry Redknapp brown envelope of cash with a dog's name written on the front. I think the training needs to be bought through one of the companies providers. Dammit.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Second interview done. Bizarrely feel like they spoke more than me in many respects. But I think it went well. They knew a few people I had worked with previously, I knew the product line, I handled the competency stuff reasonably well I think. Got on well with them too. And it ended with the main interviewer saying 'well unless we can find you a phone and a desk I think we've covered everything!', which seems like a good sign.

Fingers (and all other bits) crossed for you.

• Like 2

I'm a little peed off with work.

I was promoted in March from a team manager to a technical team manager, managing developers supporting a certain tool. The team was a mess when I joined, so I was headhunted as someone good at process to organise it. I started on a scaled salary, which I was happy to accept at the time.

5 months after I joined, the team is running itself with great results so I got more involved in higher level stuff, including governance of the tool we support. Suddenly my scaled salary looks shit.

I am no longer just a team manager, and I am stating this to my manager. He said he can provide me with an 'uplift' to reward me for my additional duties, but it's tied to a team expansion we need funding for. However, the funding is bogged down in politics, so I'm still waiting. The uplift is around 18% of my monthly salary.

This on its own, would be annoying but I'd accept it.

However, I had a guy in my team who was promoted from developer to senior at the same time I joined and is making comfortably more than me. He handed in his notice, and I accepted it. The guy was good but he wasn't irreplaceable. My manager panicked, offered him 40% more of his salary and another promotion.

I'm sat here like, you can't find 18% in the budget to give me additional salary to match my additional responsibilities but you can find money to reward a guy for resigning, who just got promoted?

I know I could resign and do the same but it's not my thing.

Rant over.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess you're hoping Brexit rumbles on and keeps HS2 on the backburner.

I'd rather we just knew one way or another to be honest. I can honestly say before I started working here I was sort of 50/50 on it but now I can really see just how much it's needed. I think most of the protests are just nimbyism dressed up as environmental protests etc. By people who won't directly benefit they'll just have the line running through their land which I can sympathise with. If it's scrapped in 10-15 years time everyone will be saying "You know we could really do with another railway". I think the government should basically say the cost doesn't matter, its a requirement. 100 billion is about 3/4 what we spend on pensions every year. 

The amazing thing is the original London-birmingham line was proposed, funded, built, and had trains running in about 4 years. There was none of this archaeology or ecology or safety concerns etc back then though. 

On 18/10/2019 at 04:49, StefanAVFC said:

I'm a little peed off with work.

I was promoted in March from a team manager to a technical team manager, managing developers supporting a certain tool. The team was a mess when I joined, so I was headhunted as someone good at process to organise it. I started on a scaled salary, which I was happy to accept at the time.

5 months after I joined, the team is running itself with great results so I got more involved in higher level stuff, including governance of the tool we support. Suddenly my scaled salary looks shit.

I am no longer just a team manager, and I am stating this to my manager. He said he can provide me with an 'uplift' to reward me for my additional duties, but it's tied to a team expansion we need funding for. However, the funding is bogged down in politics, so I'm still waiting. The uplift is around 18% of my monthly salary.

This on its own, would be annoying but I'd accept it.

However, I had a guy in my team who was promoted from developer to senior at the same time I joined and is making comfortably more than me. He handed in his notice, and I accepted it. The guy was good but he wasn't irreplaceable. My manager panicked, offered him 40% more of his salary and another promotion.

I'm sat here like, you can't find 18% in the budget to give me additional salary to match my additional responsibilities but you can find money to reward a guy for resigning, who just got promoted?

I know I could resign and do the same but it's not my thing.

Rant over.

Why don't you write a letter that is both diplomatic and tactful but clearly outlines that you are deserving of a greater remuneration for the service you offer.

When my sister was front of shop assistant at a retail store, she wrote such a letter explaining what she felt she was contributing to the company.

She was polite but also direct and assertive in asking the company owners if they felt the current setup was paying credit where it's due essentially.

She got a 15k per year salary boost effective immediately. Not long after she was promoted to National Manager of the business.

Just recently she was offered part ownership in one of the stores.

You don't have to threaten resignation or be underhanded, but you sure don't have to suffer in silence either.

I trained with Brett Rainbow today in preparation for a whole week of daily tryouts for the 2020 season.

Preseason is imminent and will run for about 5 months depending on the club, season starts next March.

I'm being looked at by 9 clubs across two divisions as it is right now, two of those clubs I have played for previously.

Session with a bodybuilder turned strongman fitness coach tomorrow as well, he's developed a program for me.

Three motto's I'm trying to live by this coming season:

• Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.
  • You won't always be motivated, that's why you must learn discipline.
  • You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

• 3 weeks later...
Â