$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

It is the Times though, not the Sun or the Mirror.

If there is some credibility in that story then we are not in good shape at all, and Lerner is about to make a pig's breakfast of our sale. It's the one thing I thought he'd be able to do as a supposedly wise businessman, but I have a horrible gut feeling that Randy is about to "McLeish" our takeover.

I haven't read the article but if we were up for sale last summer too, then why not make announcement then and not now.

There were rumours last season that we were up for sale but they were denied by the club

Maybe we were after all

• Like 2

By the way I believe that we've been up for sale for a while. Just saying that I think we're further down the line than we've ever been and that's why Lerner released his statement on Monday and not as desperate attempt to drum up interest like the Times article suggests.

In my opinion, Lerner's first statement came after an abundance of articles/rumours began to circulate. I think his statement may have been in response to those in order to address fans (that are clearly getting frustrated).

I know we seem to be in a sea of ITK but there was someone who worked with me for 3-4 months about 2 years ago who was also employed by AVFC and had access to people who would know about that type of thing and he told me way back then that Lerner was infact desperate to sell the club. The way the club has been run since then just backs up what he said.

The fact that Lerner has been trying to sell the club for a while but has only now released the statement that came out on Monday should be seen as a good sign.

• Like 1

I was told by someone years ago during the ONeil Years that Lerner was looking for investment Partners from the East.  It wasnt long after Man City had been taken over.

I think we have been up for sale for a while but the statement was put out to be a lightning rod for all the specualtion floating around.

If The Times have only discovered now that we were nearly sold three months ago how can they be so sure there's nothing in the pipeline at present? There was no ITK's on any forum that picked up on the fact the club was all but sold three months ago only for it to break down, so if the Times are right about that it really means that (despite all of the ITK's and journo's) no one has the first idea what Randy's up to at present.

Well if it's in the times it must be true.....

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Going off on a slight tangent but I saw this cool article the other day that goes over the hit rate of gossip across various newspapers. It's more related to transfer rumours but some 

food for thought on the level of cynicism that you should apply to this stuff, plus I'm guessing some distraction from this thread might be needed for most of us.

The headline stats:

Newspaper - Accuracy

The Guardian - 34.8%

The Independent - 33.5%

The Times - 26.7%

Telegraph - 26.8%

The Sun - 21.9%

The Mirror - 20.8%

Daily Star - 20.7%

Metro - 12.6%

Basically, they're all pretty poor. The broadsheets are generally better but they are all throwing a lot at the wall and only a bit of it sticks. I know this is all stating the glaringly obvious but it's cool to see somebody doing some research on it.

I haven't read the article but if we were up for sale last summer too, then why not make announcement then and not now.

Maybe he was expecting it to all be done by now but the deal fell apart and now he is trying to smoke out new interested parties?

• Like 1

I think RL is keeping his cards very close to his chest.  I imagine only he and his advisors and any potential buyer or buyers actually know what is going on.

I believe this too.

Since it is reported that there is currently a 6 week time scale with Merrill Lynch to find a buyer that will take us up to Monday 23rd June 2014 at the latest.

If we are still in limbo by that date with nothing concrete in the pipeline, then I really will start to become worried for the future of our beloved club.