Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Another character episode. Not bad, slightly less rushed than last time out, had a bit of a feel of an episode from an earlier season with the pace turned up.

It looks pretty clear that the extended episodes are going to be using the time to chuck in a bunch of CGI spectacle while leaving just enough room to have some character closure moments.

• Like 1

Impressive how they managed to make a filler episode considering there are only 6 episodes in the season.

Not sure they managed to capture the dread that should have been present during the circumstances either.

Spoiler

The Arya nude scenes was a bit uncomfortable since I still see her as a 14 y.o kid even thou I know the actress is 20 something.

Skipped past that scene. 

• Haha 1

Not convinced they have done enough to successfully pull off next weeks cull 

There are maybe 3 or 4 characters that would be a shock if they got killed, even less that I would be overly bothered by (tormund is brown bread I think 😔)

Still can't guess if jaime will die saving brienne (Or the other way around) or if he will survive and kill cersi 

12 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

All the talk about the crypts makes me think the Night King is going to raise all the dead Starks in the crypts during the battle. They spent that whole episode setting that up.

Also the Brienne moment was fantastic but she's surely gonna die now

Basically every character said 'the crypts are the safest place to be!', so I now fully expect to see a host of zombie Starks tearing through the women and children.

Spoiler

Does anyone reckon the NK won't be in the battle of winterfell?

So they'll kill a load of white walkers and so leaders but won't be able to find the NK and have to chase him to Kings Landing

• Like 2

The drop off in the quality of the dialogue is beyond ridiculous now but I doubt the show will reach "Lost" levels of disappointment.  You just have to accept that it has become a different show now but it  is still  fun to watch. 

I'm surprised it took them 8 seasons to realise a white Alsatian is far cheaper than a CGI Dire Wolf though.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Enjoyable episode aside from 

Reveal hidden contents

I suspect that is why it was quite tame by GOT standards

2 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

Basically every character said 'the crypts are the safest place to be!', so I now fully expect to see a host of zombie Starks tearing through the women and children.

Hide contents

Does anyone reckon the NK won't be in the battle of winterfell?

So they'll kill a load of white walkers and so leaders but won't be able to find the NK and have to chase him to Kings Landing

My brother and I were discussing this. My opinion is that Bran will indeed be sufficient bait for NK, and he will appear. His is that NK is on his way to King's Landing on his dragon to **** it up. 

As Stevo says, those possibilities (throw in NK obliterated the Iron Islands before he gets to Winterfell / King's Landing) all have some element of believability, but I'm not entirely convinced about any of them really happening. Which is a very good thing. 

The problem with this and all through the series is the woeful acting. Was scenes that with talented actors might have meant something. Sansa and Dany and Dany with Jon Snow, potentially pivotal moments in the series but poor acting. Cant believe after nearly a decade the producers never once sent them to acting school

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

My brother and I were discussing this. My opinion is that Bran will indeed be sufficient bait for NK, and he will appear. His is that NK is on his way to King's Landing on his dragon to **** it up. 

As Stevo says, those possibilities (throw in NK obliterated the Iron Islands before he gets to Winterfell / King's Landing) all have some element of believability, but I'm not entirely convinced about any of them really happening. Which is a very good thing. 

I was saying to my GF while we were watching that John and Dany must survive otherwise there's no resolution to that conflict of him being the rightful king.

And I said that SOMEONE must survive otherwise there's no resolution to the Cersy vs the world storyline. Surely if the white walkers win this battle then they'll breeze past Cersy and one army.

But then I remembered this is Game of Thrones. So John and Dany getting annihilated and two dragons going down with them in the first 5 minutes of next week's episode would be about par for the course.

21 minutes ago, hogso said:

Interesting theory.

Wouldn't surprise me if everyone at Winterfell has an epic battle with Whitewalkers and a few survive, though the NK isn't there. Whilst this battle is going on, the NK flies down to Kings Landing on his dragon and kills a bunch of people, creates a new army and takes the throne. Dany, Jon and other survivors from WF travel to Kings Landing to kill Cerci and take the Iron Throne, only to see that the NK already has it and another epic battle takes place.

I actually don't think this will happen but would be an interesting end to it all .

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I think it’s been a great couple of opening episodes 🤷‍♂️

Yep me too. Apart from the Dragon bit in ep1 they have both been very enjoyable.

• Like 3

The acting is a big part of the reason the supporting cast is more popular than the major players. The supporting cast is filled with good character actors and always has been, and are generally more interesting characters. 

Emilia Clarke is an awful actress, and is the major reason I've never given a flying **** about her character. Jon Snow is completely one note but at least has a vaguely interesting character arc to make up for his weaknesses as an actor. Sansa is a horrible character played by a dreadful actress. Maisie Williams is an ok actress but Arya has had a completely schizophrenic arc, to the extent her character this series feels like a completely different one to even last series (even accepting the development she's had).

As much as I like the character (and there's a good argument he has the best story arc in the entire show), it still astonishes me that nobody told Nickolaj Coster-Waldau that his attempt at a sneering British toff accent is like nothing like any accent that has ever existed in Britain

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really hope there's a zombie sean bean. 

He’d only be a skeleton if he was revived. Only his bones were sent to Winterfell, I think.

The Arya sex scene didn’t really bother me, you didn’t really see much of anything by GoT standards and it’s character-driven, reminding us she’s now a grown up and seemingly gets whatever she wants since she’s a badass, etc.

I think the fact you didn’t see the NK in the last shot with the rest of the walkers (unless I missed him) suggests he’s not there, so I don’t think their plans are going to work.

Slow episode but clearly the calm before the storm. I still enjoyed it.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Â