Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Well that was pretty epic. 

Spoiler

Was it me though or did Dany throw Jorah in front of the one who killed him to protect herself? 

When the Knight King rose everyone up from the dead, Jon would’ve been dead in seconds, before Dany arrived. 

Where did Jon’s dragon disappear to? 

We can still have cleganebowl

Spoiler

Such a great episode. Perfectly put together. Awesome that it was Arya. Glad we have a full 3 EPs left to finish it off as well. 

My only fault is probably the same as it has been for a couple of seasons, no surprise main character deaths, formerly the hallmark of the series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:
  Hide contents

It was always going to be Arya wasn't it

12 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:
  Hide contents

Such a great episode. Perfectly put together. Awesome that it was Arya. Glad we have a full 3 EPs left to finish it off as well. 

My only fault is probably the same as it has been for a couple of seasons, no surprise main character deaths, formerly the hallmark of the series. 

Spoiler

Yeah it did. At least her whole involvement in the episode directly related to all of her training throughout the show. It was a nice resolution for her character and my favourite part of the episode. 

Whilst I did enjoy, I feel a little underwhelmed at the same time. 

I agree with @ThunderPower_14 though, whilst we had the loss of some characters who appeared from the beginning (Theon, Beric, Edd, Mellisandre & Jorah), they are not characters that I feel particularly gut wrenched to lose. Jorah the closest probably. Lyanna though :( Lil' Giantslayer was a badass character. 

The death of the Dothraki and Unsullied was also pretty quick though, they have marched thousands of miles to just go like that, in a war that has nothing to do with them or their country? And was it me, or could they have made a lot more of the crypts? Maybe have an undead Ned Stark try and kill Tyrion? And with the Night King, him simply being bad for the sake of it, I am not sure I like the lack of purpose/meaning behind. 

Some things never let you down, like Jon's inability to use any other tactic than to charge head first into a fight... Caused him trouble time and time again... 

Needs more digesting and probably a 2nd watch with more context of the next 3 episodes, but it does feel like they missed something. Probably means all of the main characters will have a part to play in the 2nd half, but in what context. What involvement does Bran have now? Is he just going to wheel himself off back to the other side of the wall? How many men did Dany & Jon lose? What willl Bronne do with that crossbow?

And of course, CLEGANEBOWL!

Actually, now getting the Night King out of the way, whilst probably the big bad, we can now get back to the human element of the show. We may (hopefully) end with some main characters still ending up on the chop. All I ask is that they do the characters justice. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I have slept on it and I'm actually annoyed at it.

Why build up the NK for so long to end it like that? Why have WW lieutenants if they're from the school of standing around and watching?

Also, the NK went to the school of waiting to finish the job for dramatic effect. He could have killed/touched/whatever'd Bran before Arya got him

• Like 2

Well that certainly goes down as the most epic TV episode of all time (not counting that one Ice road Truckers episode where one truck almost went through the ice but didn't)

Probably didn't have their battle tactics on point but hey-ho.

Was only ever going to end one way but the road there was topsy-turvy and visually stunning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well that's why we had a bottle episode, the budget went on this. Full on spectacle. Nicely done action. Perfect? No... But very good.

Spoiler

It feels a little disappointing to have such an apocalyptic and driving force of the series be beaten in a single battle, and to have that battle not have that great of an impact on the 'named characters'. I'm fairly sure the coming episodes will make a big deal of the fact that the losses were very high but still... The characters we actually know that went? They're all the ones with no stakes left, they're all ones who, if you listed out the characters, are the ones you can delete and lose very little. And it wasn't many of them either. A little disappointing.

I had expected, and thought it would be more satisfying, for this episode to be a Dunkirk. A heroic and hard fought loss that raises the stakes and let's a weakened allied army have a real heroic last stand.

I guess it's just another result of the show being curtailed. Battles and action scenes eat budgets and devour run time. Cuts need to be made, a battle needed to happen and the White Walker plot needed to to end.

Suspect the next episode is going to be another bit of a bottle episode as they take stock of the outcome of the battle and set the scene for resolution of the war for the throne.

Excellent action episode. Will need a rewatch though as bloody hell is it dark in many scenes. Definitely a watch at night episode...

• Like 1

Spoiler

Not really sure how I feel about that episode. Too many characters had plot armour, and I kinda wanted the NK to at least reach Kings Landing. Feels a bit underwhelming that the NK dies in pretty much the first battle after breaking down the wall. The build up to it all kinda felt a bit pointless. 

Was still great television don't get me wrong, but I feel it could have been done better. 

Edited by PieFacE

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

I kept having to eff about with the Brightness and contrast on my Tellybox

I had to bump the brightness up as well. My house is bad for watching dark stuff during the day but even so there were whole sections of that where I was literally unable to make out what the hell they wanted me to see without fiddling with settings. 

Of course, it's another way of saving money - you can trim back CGI costs by crushing detail in darkness. And it's a way of giving a scene more atmosphere easily, but still, that was waaaaaay too dark too often. Stream quality will then have made it worse of course.

• Like 1

Spoiler

There is no easy way to end a plot line that has been building for 8 seasons but that was entertaining enough and satisfying for Arya’s character arc. 

It gets the undead out of the way again (who, lets face it, are fairly boring, one dimensional characters) lets the story get back to the petty human squabbles for the throne where GoT is at its best. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

Thinking on it, I think they ended the NK too early. 

The whole thing started off with the dead walking, it should’ve been present in the final episode 

Even if it's not actually the end of the story?

Â