Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

I think people are being harsh, the books benefit from far more characters and it's easier to build a character up and emphasise them before their death, I think come the end of both the show and the book all the same players will be there

on the show bronn saved jaime but in the books Martin will kill him? Not buying that personally

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think people are being harsh, the books benefit from far more characters and it's easier to build a character up and emphasise them before their death, I think come the end of both the show and the book all the same players will be there

on the show bronn saved jaime but in the books Martin will kill him? Not buying that personally

Bronn's barely a character in the books anymore.

He's only in the TV version because he's popular with viewers. So he won't save Jamie or get killed, he'll probably just be living quietly in Castle Stokeworth with Lollys and baby Tyrion.

That's not my point, my point is the main characters who are alive come the end of the show will still all be alive come the end of the books, how they get there will chop and change but I don't see the show keeping Jaime alive and the books killing him, or Jon, or Dany, or Tyrion etc 

i don't think they're bottling killing them off

They may well live in the books, but GRRM wouldn't put them in such ridiculous, situations created by their own idiocy, only to have them saved at the last second by contrived nonsense.

I don't care that specific major characters live, I care that the writers keep putting them in stupid positions trying to create blockbuster style set pieces and cliffhangers when it's insulting transparent. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I am going on a cruise so I will miss the finale :( I have to somehow avoid spoilers for a full week

Be on the lookout for Euron Greyjoy then.

No telling where the f**k he wen't, could be anywhere by now. and he's crazy.

• Like 1

Surprised how many people are calling that episode the shark jump moment. I listened to a Cast of Kings this morning and they were openly calling it one of the worst episodes of the show and calling out all the issues with it and generally being very down on it to the extent one of the hosts said the episode has killed his faith in the show entirely.

I'm not sure it's quite the jump the shark moment, but I think you could definitely see the Fonz strapping on the skis... The episode, entertaining as it was, was just far to stupid in it's writing to give us those entertaining moments, betraying the quality of what has come before.

I do wonder how much this furore will damage the reputation of the show in years to come, after it's finished. I'd imagine it's going to be significant. Look at Lost. One of the best TV shows I have ever seen at it's height. It generally seems to be remembered now as the show that had a crap ending and didn't explain much of anything.

On 8/23/2017 at 15:30, Rob182 said:

Who was the person that Jon Snow watched fall into a big pile of White Walkers, when Jon and the remaining 4 were at the top of that little hill fighting them all off?

Like others, I enjoyed the latest episode, but some bits just annoyed me. Why didn't Uncle Ben jump on the horse, why didn't the whole North-of-the-Wall gang just run with Gendry back to the Wall?

Also, I don't know if there are any The Hobbit fans in here, but after (accidentally) seeing a spoiler before watching the episode, I said to the wife that the episode is bound to end exactly the same way as how the first Hobbit ends.... with a closed dragon eyelid opening, in a big SHOCK moment.

One of the "Spare Pricks" as Ozzyman described them on Youtube

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I do wonder how much this furore will damage the reputation of the show in years to come, after it's finished. I'd imagine it's going to be significant. Look at Lost. One of the best TV shows I have ever seen at it's height. It generally seems to be remembered now as the show that had a crap ending and didn't explain much of anything.

I think it won't have much impact on it to be fair. I personally think season 5 of The Wire was quite weak at times, but I'd still have it in any top 5 favourite TV shows (and a massive contender for the number 1 spot), as the majority of what preceded it was brilliant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I think it won't have much impact on it to be fair. I personally think season 5 of The Wire was quite weak at times, but I'd still have it in any top 5 favourite TV shows (and a massive contender for the number 1 spot), as the majority of what preceded it was brilliant.

Weak? It jumped more sharks than the Fonz ever dreamed of!

But yes I concur, doesn't spoil my love of the show as a whole, I just prefer to think season 5 never happened

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 15:28, Davkaus said:

They may well live in the books, but GRRM wouldn't put them in such ridiculous, situations created by their own idiocy, only to have them saved at the last second by contrived nonsense.

I don't care that specific major characters live, I care that the writers keep putting them in stupid positions trying to create blockbuster style set pieces and cliffhangers when it's insulting transparent. 

I appreciate this post, but I'm not certain that I agree with it. I think the hyper bombastic style and pace right now sort of fits with how the story has naturally progressed. They've been writing the episodes for a little while now and nobody has seemed to mind that much. The pace does make your head spin though. For me, the mark of a brilliant show is that it can stir such a heightened level of discussion and debate. The show is descending into schmaltz, but I still love it. I've never experienced such a universal obsession like this before, it's pretty funny. Everybody talks about this show around here and I assume most places. I'm fully enjoying this mania. Pissed that we have to wait 2 years now.

I believe the odd intereactions between Ayra and Sansa in recent episodes, and Arya's behavior in general since she arrived at Winterfell, is part of her ploy to play Littlefinger. She knows he knows she knows, if you follow. She's keeping up the pretence and using Sansa as part of her angle to get at Littlefinger. I expect it to all come together and she offs him in the next episode to take his face. This also links in with Sansa already learning about the faces, as once Arya has his, they can both use fake-Littlefinger to the benefit of House Stark. Thing is, would Sansa sanction the murder of Littlefinger whilst he is under their roof? Of course not. So Arya must go about it this way.

At least, I hope it goes that way. It makes the most sense and explains some of the oddness. Arya is essentially wearing the face of another Arya - that being, playing a role that is not herself to finally beat Petyr Baelish at his own conniving  game.

I wonder if they will write this as a moment to match Ramsay Snow/Bolton finally getting his comeuppance. That worked really well as Ramsay was such a dick. I'm not sure it'll work the same way with Littlefinger as he's a character I've grown to like, and almost admire, in a way. So many knights, lords and ladies duking it out with swords, or fire, or what have you, and he's quietly gone about his business and almost got what he wanted without all that much fanfare.

It being a ploy is the only way the psycho Arya plot in Winterfell is redeemable IMO, and even then it's done so badly with the acting and dialogue making the scenes cringeworthy that it would be hard to praise the plotline.

Saying that though, as I said before... I don't think the writing now is even good enough for that, and I expect this is just going to be a straight subplot that feels completely out of place.

On 24/08/2017 at 20:50, bickster said:

Weak? It jumped more sharks than the Fonz ever dreamed of!

But yes I concur, doesn't spoil my love of the show as a whole, I just prefer to think season 5 never happened

Which is why I find it strange that it's always handcuffed to the Sopranos when discussing the best ever. You'd be hard pushed to find a bad scene in The Sopranos, let alone a whole season.

Â