Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The Lord of Light convinced his followers to be in exactly the right place, at the right time to allow the Night King to capture a dragon. Also seems to have a thing for blood sacrifice. I'm not so sure that the lord of light is on the side of the living. 

With that in mind, are you expecting a Jon Snow heel turn? At this point that seems completely unfathomable to me, in which case I would suggest that the Lord of Light must be on the 'side' of the living.

Now, if you are suggesting there is some other omnipontent force, God, or magic at work that is on the 'side' of dead, that would be more interesting - or perhaps NK is that force. Alternatively, maybe there was another force at work that revived Jon, and it was not LoL - which would also be an interesting notion, and one I have considered before.

All the way along there has been a concept that the people of the GoT world don't fully understand this 'magic', for want of a better word, and either misjudge it (as Melisandre, or any follower of the Seven) or abuse it (the faceless men, witchy woman who cursed Dany (maybe)). As such it's difficult for us to get an idea of exactly what is going on behind the scenes as we're only seeing an interprutation of this 'force'. Maybe it has no will of it's own, and no one will ever be able to fully understand it, but people will continue to harness it under what ever name they can come up with.

As it happens, I don't think that the who's/why's are particularly important to the story we're witnessing (although I do like to think about it) - but some fans may disagree. And if they do I suspect they'll be very disappointed when none of it is explained!

Today's piece of nitpickery.

Sam said that it should be Jon Sand as he was born in Dorne. They already knew he was born in Dorne, that's where Ned brought him back from and he's still been Jon Snow.

The bastard surname comes from where your father is from. So without the marriage he should have been Jon Waters. 

Stupid Samwell. No wonder he flunked out of Maester School.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Today's piece of nitpickery.

Sam said that it should be Jon Sand as he was born in Dorne. They already knew he was born in Dorne, that's where Ned brought him back from and he's still been Jon Snow.

The bastard surname comes from where your father is from. So without the marriage he should have been Jon Waters. 

Stupid Samwell. No wonder he flunked out of Maester School.

I always knew that Stoke striker was a bastard.

• Like 1

Aaaanyway, is it OK to talk about the finale now?

If not ...

Spoiler

I think it's fairly nailed on that Tyrion is going to betray Daenerys now after that finale.

Three things which, when put together, make me think it's fairly compelling evidence.

We start with his "I never wanted to destroy this family" chat with Cersei.  Pretty innocuous on its own.  Man pleading his case etc.  Then we cut back to outside as they continue their chat.  He comes out after a bit without delivering the imminent good news or even looking like it's coming.

Then him not blinking an eye when Cersei delivers said news that she'd fully support the other armies up North.  That about-turn should have at least caused a double-take on his behalf but it didn't.  So he knew it was coming, so it is something they discussed, yet he remained non-plussed throughout.  Again, not comprehensive on its own but ...

Finally, the very deliberately shot scene of him watching from the shadows as Daenerys' winter came.  Well her 8 inches of Snow anyway.  And him walking away literally and symbolically IMHO.

It's left ambiguous enough that it's possible I'm reading into it too much, but I don't think so.  I think we'll look back and say 'yep, that's what all that was about'.

• Like 1

I think one of my favorite scenes was between Jon and Theon...some super heavy foreshadowing there

Spoiler

Essentially the conversation he had with Theon about Ned and his Stark identity. Jon tells him that whilst he is not Ned's son,  "He's a part of you. Just like he's part of me" Which im pretty sure will be his exact line of thinking / advice he's given, when he's told about his heritage.

Spoiler

I thought the fight between Theon and the big dude was ridiculous too.  OK so a knee to the nuts does nothing.  You were still half dead and hadn't landed a punch to that point.  Something not landing doesn't swing a fight to that extent.  But yeah I know, there are dragons so all's well etc.

• Like 1

What if...after the vanquishing of the white walkers, the people of Westeros get the shits because they couldn't care less who anyone's father was, and demand democracy? What if they think that because someone's dad sat on a big metal chair once, it is a poor basis for a selection of a system of government? They could start with bi elections in Winterfell and Dorne, and all the other crap little counties, so each individual person from the cheapest whore to a member of the Kingsguard feels that their interests are properly represented. This is the only way for this to all work out into a happy ending. I mean, look how well its worked for us.

#voteforPodrick

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

If not ...

Hide contents

I think it's fairly nailed on that Tyrion is going to betray Daenerys now after that finale.

Three things which, when put together, make me think it's fairly compelling evidence.

We start with his "I never wanted to destroy this family" chat with Cersei.  Pretty innocuous on its own.  Man pleading his case etc.  Then we cut back to outside as they continue their chat.  He comes out after a bit without delivering the imminent good news or even looking like it's coming.

Then him not blinking an eye when Cersei delivers said news that she'd fully support the other armies up North.  That about-turn should have at least caused a double-take on his behalf but it didn't.  So he knew it was coming, so it is something they discussed, yet he remained non-plussed throughout.  Again, not comprehensive on its own but ...

Finally, the very deliberately shot scene of him watching from the shadows as Daenerys' winter came.  Well her 8 inches of Snow anyway.  And him walking away literally and symbolically IMHO.

It's left ambiguous enough that it's possible I'm reading into it too much, but I don't think so.  I think we'll look back and say 'yep, that's what all that was about'.

I think Jamie walking away from Cersei may change that too though.

I still think the pregnancy is bullshit. It's all a ploy to get Tyrion to do what she wants and protect her from Jamie. He won't do anything to her if he thinks she's carrying their child.

I bet my bottom dollar there's no baby.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

If not ...

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think he knows that Cersei isn't as good as her word, and that they'll be on their own fighting against the NK, but he thinks it's a necessary lie to ensure that they go and fight and stop bothering themselves with human enemies. Tyrion betraying Dany doesn't seem likely to me.

There was that scene with him and Jon, when he tells him that he admires his honour, bug that sometimes lies are necessary, or something along those lines. I think that was foreshadowing of a choice he'd had to make, but I think he's still loyal to Dany..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

With that in mind, are you expecting a Jon Snow heel turn?

Nope, I just think Jon might end up being a pawn. If it wasn't for their ill-considered venture north of the wall, the night king wouldn't have a dragon that allowed him to conquer Westeros.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Jamie walking away from Cersei may change that too though.

I still think the pregnancy is bullshit. It's all a ploy to get Tyrion to do what she wants and protect her from Jamie. He won't do anything to her if he thinks she's carrying their child.

I bet my bottom dollar there's no baby.

I think you'd find yourself losing your bottom dollar.

There's no way she'll carry it to term, but it's a real thing at the moment.

24 minutes ago, BOF said:
  Hide contents

I thought the fight between Theon and the big dude was ridiculous too.  OK so a knee to the nuts does nothing.  You were still half dead and hadn't landed a punch to that point.  Something not landing doesn't swing a fight to that extent.  But yeah I know, there are dragons so all's well etc.

Completely agree, was one of the stupidest TV fights I've ever seen. He actually smiled as he was being smashed in the groin then got a WWE style second wind and beat the other chap to death.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I reckon even my missus would go dyke for Emilia Clark, what a lovely thought :)

My other half pretty much said she would last night.Might of been the wine talking.

What i don't get is how does she know your missus.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Given the episode has now been on British (nay, Worldwide) telly, who exactly is being protected by having umpteen, nested spoiler quotes?

I wasn't sure whether it had been on official British telly yet and I'd rather spoiler tag something and have someone go through the ordeal of a mouse click than spoil it on someone if it hadn't yet been televised :P 

21 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

Someone has to get that quote in seconds...

Yeah, but why did Littlefinger speak in that outrageous accent?

• Haha 2

Â