Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

The bringing the dragon out of the lake was a moment that nearly lost me to be honest. These skeletons seem to crumple into nothing on first contact with the lake, and then they're, what, donning scuba diving suits with headlamps to tie chains around the limbs of a many-ton dragon at the bottom of a freezing lake with chains from the local blacksmith's foundry?

Jog on. 

• Like 2

Kind of expecting the following exchange in a future episode.

Spoiler

Jon: "Uncle Benjen! You're alive!"

Benjen: " Yeah, Jon. I didn't have time to jump on the horse to ride to safety with you. I needed more time to make a set of ice wings out of snowflakes, and then use a jet propelled fart to fly me to safety. When you eat nothing but undead polar bears for 6 or so years, the methane tends to build up in the guts a bit. Now I can fill in all the gaps of your lineage which that useless tuu@t Brann has neglected to tell you. Its like this, Jon...oh no. I think I am having a brain aneurysm. Cark!

Dragons, resurrections, magic, zombies, giants, gods, telepathy, telekinesis, spontaneous combustion.

Yeah that's all fine.

"OH MY GOD HOW DID THEY ATTACH SOME CHAINS TO A DEAD DRAGON?!?!?!?!?!?!"

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Dragons, resurrections, magic, zombies, giants, gods, telepathy, telekinesis, spontaneous combustion.

Yeah that's all fine.

"OH MY GOD HOW DID THEY ATTACH SOME CHAINS TO A DEAD DRAGON?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Well...yes. We're watching a world which has all the things you list in it. So it's fine that they are there.

We're also watching a world which has gone to great lengths to point out that these things can't go into water. So when it breaks that rule then it's more of a problem.

Particularly as it was utterly unnecessary. Would anything have been lost narratively if it had just crashed into a big pile of snowy rocks?

• Like 3

That's the problem I had. It's a fantasy series, but there needs to be internal consistency. 

Can't say that I had any problem with the whole chains thing though. The night King doesn't seem like the sort of chap to concern himself with his minions being stuck at the bottom of the sea. 

I'm assuming that we'll find out that he was planning it all along and that's why the undead didn't bother attacking; they knew a dragon was on its way. 

It was still a huge nonsense, a thinly veiled plot device to even up the teams. 

Also, HBO win the elusive wooden bellend award for ruining the big moment by putting it on a poster months ago. Thanks guys. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's the problem I had. It's a fantasy series, but there needs to be internal consistency. 

Can't say that I had any problem with the whole chains thing though. The night King doesn't seem like the sort of chap to concern himself with his minions being stuck at the bottom of the sea. 

Exactly.

And I don't think it's unfeasible that they've had those chains for ages. It doesn't have to be that they saw the dragon and thought "ah we could do with some chains". 

They're a vast army of thousands and thousands. They've probably got shit loads of stuff.

Ultimately I think it's pretty weird to be upset about the origin of some chains. I honestly couldn't care less :)

People take this so seriously!

There's so, so much wrong with that episode that I hadn't even thought about the chains to be honest. Now it's been pointed out, yes it's ridiculous but it's the least of the episode's issues for me. Having watched it again it was even worse than I first thought.

At a push the chains could be explained. Could've been plundered from giants. Could've been made from ice by the white walkers themselves. I'm happy enough to have that left up to me as a viewer to figure out, unlike some of the other bullshit. 

14 minutes ago, JB said:

There's so, so much wrong with that episode that I hadn't even thought about the chains to be honest. Now it's been pointed out, yes it's ridiculous but it's the least of the episode's issues for me. Having watched it again it was even worse than I first thought.

At a push the chains could be explained. Could've been plundered from giants. Could've been made from ice by the white walkers themselves. I'm happy enough to have that left up to me as a viewer to figure out, unlike some of the other bullshit. 

My biggest problem was the physics of how the chains run against the edge of ice sheet to pull a dragon out of the water just doesn't work.

The physics are established in the show as being pretty close to ours. People don't just float around so there's gravity, dragons soar and flap wings so air is consistent, fire burns, light is light, dark is dark, so the world is created like ours with added fantasy magic and your disbelief is suspended.

So they can't just go and say 'actually that's all bullshit. The physics are the physics until they're not.' Very poor writing. If GRRM was still writing it, it wouldn't happen like that.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Arya suddenly going full psycho (which can only be redeemed by being a ploy but I've no faith in the show being that clever anymore

I think there's no question that they aren't clever enough for that. I'm absolutely sure they're just turning Arya psycho because that's where they want the story to go.

Â