Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

More dialogue-heavy this weak, and things suffer as a result. It's left me feeling a bit cold, TBH. I know I'm supposed to feel dazzled but I don't. It's all sort of gone to bits since Bron and Jamie went for a swim.

Still entertaining, but no longer brilliant.

Sure Martin will do/does it better in book form.

It's all gone a bit tits up now that the TV writers are having to work out stuff for themselves.

It feels very much like when Robert Jordan died before he could finish his Wheel of Time series and Brandon Sanderson was brought in to tie it all together in the last books.

Edited by sne

Spoiler

Odd finale.

It was better written than last week, mostly. But also felt a bit empty. I can't quite put my finger on it but it felt like a box ticking exercise without much enjoyment in it. What was there was good, if not to the standard we've been used to, but it also didn't have many surprises.

Littlefinger's end is a decent example. It was a bit perfunctory, it felt like a plot the writers just wanted to end. This is a character that has been involved in the entire show manipulating everything... And he gets played by the worst ploy ever and just gets killed. There's no reason that plot can't tick the same boxes but it should have had more weight and bite to it. It doesn't help the entire set up was dreadful, terrible writing and hopeless performances.

Still... We had good moments and it's slightly less stupid than what's come before it. Bit of a shame most of it's been telegraphed though. Was there a revelation here we've not seen coming for a while?

Next series will be an interesting watch. The show resolved lots of loose threads this series, leaving only a few plots to run... But with only 6 episodes to resolve them. Those episodes need to show a war against the Nights King, a resolution to the war between Dany and Cersei, the revelations about Jon need turn play out, and tie up the plots of at least a few major players, and fit in a shedload of spectacle. I suspect the rushed feeling isn't ending with this series.

• Like 2

The trouble is that the show needs to reach a conclusion and all the plot lines have to come together, that inevitably leads to some predictable outcomes. It is easier to be entertaining in previous seasons when we are dealing in subplots and side characters whilst laying groundwork for the main plot lines but when those plot lines are actually finally realised on screen it becomes a bit of an anti climax. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am looking forward to the next series, when Jon learns the truth about his lineage. Cue awkwardness, as him and Danaerys realise they had a Luke and Leia moment.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:
  Hide contents

...with only 6 episodes to resolve them. Those episodes need to show a war against the Nights King, a resolution to the war between Dany and Cersei, the revelations about Jon need turn play out, and tie up the plots of at least a few major players

Spoiler

Don't forget Theon's thrilling Essos adventure! 

24 minutes ago, AJ said:
  Hide contents

I am looking forward to the next series, when Jon learns the truth about his lineage. Cue awkwardness, as him and Danaerys realise they had a Luke and Leia moment.

Spoiler

I would say more of a Morpheus moment but without actually knowing they were related

• Like 1

Quite surprised by the somewhat subdued response on here.

I was fairly critical last week, but I was hooked this time around, I thought every scene was pretty well done, I was on edge and couldn't believe it'd been 80 minutes when it ended.

On the other hand, we had a season 7 marathon yesterday evening/this morning, watching the first 6 episodes before we saw the finale, and when you go back and rewatch the earlier episodes knowing how much they had to rush the story in the latter episodes, it makes the scenes that felt gratuitous and wasteful at the time seem obscene. I thought they were a bit out of place and pointless at the time, but Sheeran's cameo and that repetitive slop and bedpan scene with Sam felt outrageous given the lack of time for things later on.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Really didn't see the  littlefinger demise coming. Thought that was excellently done and the actor did it brilliantly as he looked shocked that he was being called to question. Then he he pleaded for help from the Vale and they weren't having it.

Was getting so excited about having the Clegane fight, but alas not yet.

Dodnt think the dragon would be able to knock down the wall just like that. 

Bran "I see everything", but then didn't know about the wedding... and all he could say was Jon has to know.

Sex scene one for the ladies, as we didn't even get to see an arse cheek of Dany.

Did have to laugh with Theon getting kicked in the nuts.

Edited by mikeyp102

Bran's been saying "Jon has to know" and "There's something I need to tell Jon" for weeks.

If only the "three eyed raven" could think of some kind of long-distance form of communication. 

• Like 4

The way I read Bran's powers is that he may have access to all the information but actually needs prompting to know where to look. 

I don't believe he would have known about Littlefinger either unless he was prompted by being presented with the knife. 

Â