Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Incredibly minor nit pick that really annoys me. The new Nights King looks far worse and less sinister than the original one (played by Richard Brake, who's one of those actors in loads of stuff you never notice).

The new one just looks... Bored? The original is quietly sinister.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Aaaanyway, is it OK to talk about the finale now?

If not ...

Hide contents

I think it's fairly nailed on that Tyrion is going to betray Daenerys now after that finale.

Three things which, when put together, make me think it's fairly compelling evidence.

We start with his "I never wanted to destroy this family" chat with Cersei.  Pretty innocuous on its own.  Man pleading his case etc.  Then we cut back to outside as they continue their chat.  He comes out after a bit without delivering the imminent good news or even looking like it's coming.

Then him not blinking an eye when Cersei delivers said news that she'd fully support the other armies up North.  That about-turn should have at least caused a double-take on his behalf but it didn't.  So he knew it was coming, so it is something they discussed, yet he remained non-plussed throughout.  Again, not comprehensive on its own but ...

Finally, the very deliberately shot scene of him watching from the shadows as Daenerys' winter came.  Well her 8 inches of Snow anyway.  And him walking away literally and symbolically IMHO.

It's left ambiguous enough that it's possible I'm reading into it too much, but I don't think so.  I think we'll look back and say 'yep, that's what all that was about'.

8 inches hhaahahhaahhahha. 

The King in the North is hung like a flea.

It is known.

19 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Is it really two years till the next season??

That's the talk. HBO are expecting the final season to air at least 16 months from now if not longer.

Yes they had an ice dragon, but the wall went down far too easily for my liking. It's meant to have these strong magical powers built up over years, with the night king unable to touch it (strickly speaking he didn't). Yet a few blasts from the dragon and down it goes.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I think it's fairly nailed on that Tyrion is going to betray Daenerys now after that finale.

Three things which, when put together, make me think it's fairly compelling evidence.

We start with his "I never wanted to destroy this family" chat with Cersei.  Pretty innocuous on its own.  Man pleading his case etc.  Then we cut back to outside as they continue their chat.  He comes out after a bit without delivering the imminent good news or even looking like it's coming.

Then him not blinking an eye when Cersei delivers said news that she'd fully support the other armies up North.  That about-turn should have at least caused a double-take on his behalf but it didn't.  So he knew it was coming, so it is something they discussed, yet he remained non-plussed throughout.  Again, not comprehensive on its own but ...

Finally, the very deliberately shot scene of him watching from the shadows as Daenerys' winter came.  Well her 8 inches of Snow anyway.  And him walking away literally and symbolically IMHO.

It's left ambiguous enough that it's possible I'm reading into it too much, but I don't think so.  I think we'll look back and say 'yep, that's what all that was about'.

Maybe. I'd punt more on that it's just his concern about his influence being sidelined, and maybe that he's moving into Ser Jorah territory in more ways than just diminishing influence.

It's no more than tenuous, but the original GRRM outline for the book is interesting. It's not really a spoiler as the whole thing is miles away from what it all turned into (evil Jaime Lannister killing everyone and ending up on the throne? Daenarys killing Khal Drogo to avenge Viserys? Catelyn killed north of The Wall by White Walkers? etc). But just in case:

Martin's words:

Spoiler

(a load of stuff that doesn't happen in the book or show)...will lead to a bitter estrangement between Jon and Bran. Arya will be more forgiving ... until she realizes, with terror, that she has fallen in love with Jon, who is not only her half-brother but a man of the Night's Watch, sworn to celibacy. Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy, until the secret of Jon's true parentage is finally revealed in the last book.

(further on) Exiled, Tyrion will change sides, making common cause with the surviving Starks to bring his brother down, and falling helplessly in love with Arya Stark while he's at it. His passion is, alas, unreciprocated, but no less intense for that, and it will lead to a deadly rivalry between Tyrion and Jon Snow.

So although it's nothing like what it looks like now, the original plan for the end involved a bit of incest with Jon Snow, and Tyrion being jealous and getting in the way of it.

The whole thing is a pretty interesting read, and easily googleable for anyone interested. 

32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yes they had an ice dragon, but the wall went down far too easily for my liking. It's meant to have these strong magical powers built up over years, with the night king unable to touch it (strickly speaking he didn't). Yet a few blasts from the dragon and down it goes.

On the flip side, that scene went on way too long imo. It was cool and all but we didn't need to see the dragon breathing fire on it from different angles for like 15 minutes.

13 hours ago, LondonLax said:

They seem to be two sides of the same coin. 

The only explanation for the 'Beyond the Wall' episode that makes any sense to me was that the Night King has been planning the event for a while, using his powers to foresee (or even pull the strings) in order to get the dragon he needed for the next stage. 

In that explanation I think Bran is the only thing powerful enough to disrupt his progam. 

It's an interesting theory - The idea that he has become trapped in the Night Kings body, presumably because he spent too long 'warging' there. It is also interesting that we only ever seem to see the Night walkers carry out their work when he is in his little trance... 

7 hours ago, Tayls said:

It's an interesting theory - The idea that he has become trapped in the Night Kings body, presumably because he spent too long 'warging' there. It is also interesting that we only ever seem to see the Night walkers carry out their work when he is in his little trance... 

Did the nightlong touch bran in on of his warns? May be the passing of souls 

have they given a reason for the 2019 release or is it just something people have come up with?

i thought the reason for pushing the release of this series back was they wanted to shoot more actual winter scenes and as a result it wasnt ready, can see them doing the same again but taking longer to shoot as well?

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

have they given a reason for the 2019 release or is it just something people have come up with?

i thought the reason for pushing the release of this series back was they wanted to shoot more actual winter scenes and as a result it wasnt ready, can see them doing the same again but taking longer to shoot as well?

My guess would be global warming delaying the arrival of winter.

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The showrunners have stated in numerous interviews that they'll be working on the final season for the next 16 months, but HBO are currently considering whether the hiatus between last season and next will be longer than 16 months.

The issue they are finding now is that filming the show is harder than ever, it costs more than ever and it takes longer than ever before. They start filming in October and while that will take 6-7 months they then have to wait for post-production. Season 8 is going to be a CGI fest. Season 7 was delayed a bit while they waited for the snow to fall on location, but it was also delayed because filming the Dragon sequences is slow yet rendering them is even slower. Season 8 is gonna be Dragon vs Dragon, it's gonna be tens of thousands of Wights all with CGI bones and decay, it's gonna be battles on a scale not seen since Lord of the Rings it's gonna take time.'

HBO and the showrunners are likely hoping that their estimate of 16 months from the start of filming is an overestimation, but with HBO already considering that 16 months may not be enough we could be looking at July 2019 for Season 8. 

Edited by Daweii

Â