Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Trouble is this is what happens when you deviate from the books narrative. George RR Martin refers to the "butterfly effect". Having Jamie return to Kings Landing in the TV show before Joffreys death creates this situation.

I swear Baelish's accent has changed.

It is becoming raspier. No idea why they decided to go down that route.

Could have just been a sore throat in that case? Or they really needed a drink? That happens to me sometimes, if I haven't had a beverage for a while, especially if I've been doing something strenuous.

Just re read the book, Little Finger has a cold during that scene so they've stuck with that it would seem. Good to see they're not changing everything.

NOT BOOK SPOILERS

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-

• Like 2

I haven't been watching the new tv series, storing up on the planner but having read all of the so far published books they've deviated too much in the tv format for it to be properly credible later down the line, IMO.

They just haven't given enough focus to certain characters and storylines to justify the focus on them later in the story........

Jaime doesn't rape Cersei in the books. She says no at first but only because she thinks they'll be caught. Then she totally goes with it and does most of the coaxing. I don't know if that rape scene is intended to add to this love/hate dichotomy they seem to have going on since Jaime came back. Maybe they'll be diverging from the books more as the season pans out.

I thought it was a weak episode. It was always going to be a 'come down' episode after last week's, but there were some things that were really pointless. Arya and The Hound's scene was completely pointless and served no purpose. It doesn't happen in the books and the only theory I have is that they're giving them some extra scenes to pad the season out to keep their storyline chronological with the other characters. 

I know, I know, no book talk, heaven forbid. I'm not spoiling anything though. The fact is that in the books some characters aren't mentioned for long periods of time in the books and the TV show obviously writes some filler in to keep them on screen so viewers don't forget about them and so that some stories don't overtake the others and make things even more convoluted and confusing.

Anyway, I'm not a purist by any stretch, but these changes that they have made and that they doubtlessly will make in future better pay off. I can't see how that rape scene change can really be justified for anything other than shock value though, and if that does turn out to be the case then that's very poor.

• Like 2

Is it just me or are the scenes with the dragon girl shouting at people in a foreign tongue and liberating them getting old now?

Also I feel they seem to be making that Tyrion character too sentimental.

Agree with Ginko...if the TV has done it it should be fair game.

Is it just me or are the scenes with the dragon girl shouting at people in a foreign tongue and liberating them getting old now?

Also I feel they seem to be making that Tyrion character too sentimental.

At risk of "book talk" try reading it.

You've been spared trust me. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2

Guys, please use the GoT Books thread to talk about what happens in the books. Otherwise, hide your text using the spoiler tab thingy. Cheers.

To be honest I think the whole "rape" thing is worth discussing in this thread because it seems the TV show got it badly wrong.   The director has came out and said he didn't think it looked like a rape, which it clearly did, and GRRM has distanced himself from the scene on his blog.  Cersei was up for a bit of slap and tickle in the books, it seems they tried to show that in the TV version too and they cocked it up (though I guess when you bring Jamie back to Kings Landing so much earlier it was always going to be difficult). It might be more confusing for people next week when Jamie and Cersei carry on as if nothing has happened...

• Like 2

Guys, please use the GoT Books thread to talk about what happens in the books. Otherwise, hide your text using the spoiler tab thingy. Cheers.

To be honest I think the whole "rape" thing is worth discussing in this thread because it seems the TV show got it badly wrong.   The director has came out and said he didn't think it looked like a rape, which it clearly did, and GRRM has distanced himself from the scene on his blog.  Cersei was up for a bit of slap and tickle in the books, it seems they tried to show that in the TV version too and they cocked it up (though I guess when you bring Jamie back to Kings Landing so much earlier it was always going to be difficult). It might be more confusing for people next week when Jamie and Cersei carry on as if nothing has happened...

Was going to say this myself, the whole scene was uncomfortable and slightly disturbing, but for book readers it was also completely baffling.

The problem with the scene is, like GRRM said himself, they took the dialogue from the book away, which leaves it at Cersei pushing away and generally looking like she's not willing, however she explicitly tells Jaime to continue in the book, a line which could have easily been added and lifted a lot of the uncomfortable-ness from the scene, obviously not all though, as the scene is still pretty **** up. It's also worth noting that in the book, this is Jamie and Cersei's reunion after Jamie gets back to King's Landing, hence the random having sex in front of your dead son.

For me it kind of destroys all the character building of Jaime from the last few seasons too, he was starting to become a good character, you could begin to understand his motives and that under it all, he's actually an OK guy, but now it seems he's a rapist as well as everything else, I just don't know if I can like TV Jaime as much as I like Book Jaime.

It was one of the few examples of the poorly implemented scenes by the show. They may nail most of the show on the head, but there's a couple scenes they've absolutely butchered for no real reason, other than to possibly come across as edgy, Drogo "raping" Dany from S1 being another example (as noted in the link CED provided up top)

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Changing the scene to have Jamie rape Cersei was completely unnecessary and not needed when he's in the middle of a redemption arc. It's a bit like how they changed the cousin killing and him killing the Kastark boys to make him a much bigger bad guy. I get the impression they have no idea how to handle characters that is so morally grey.

Changing the scene to have Jamie rape Cersei was completely unnecessary and not needed when he's in the middle of a redemption arc. It's a bit like how they changed the cousin killing and him killing the Kastark boys to make him a much bigger bad guy. I get the impression they have no idea how to handle characters that is so morally grey.

Although vastly different, the writers of the tv know the whole ending, even from the unpublished books. So they know how Jamie’s story ends, meaning its a massive spoiler for people reading the books thinking he’s okay when he’s not...

As above the writers of the tv know how Jamies story ends, assumption says he doesn’t remain a ‘goody’ as it were and they have decided to plant that seed now.

Â