Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Would have been a good signing in January but come the summer I hope we can do better. Hoolahan will be 33 next season, we saw on Sunday how he faded after the 20 minute mark, can't really be signing any old player just because they're experienced although I concede he's been a really good player through his career, I think the best time for us to have signed him would have been when Lambert first arrived.

If a good manager went to norwich they'd be pretty good tbf, some very good players there and 2-3 including hoolahan would breeze into out starting 11 imo.

Honestly imagining lambert with that Norwich side is interesting, I think they still have better players than villa and a lot of attacking options.

As a stop gap this season that could add a bit of attacking flair in the final third?

Sure.

As a 33 year old signing a longer term contract?

No thanks. Too old. No resale value.

• Like 2

Hoolahan didn't celebrate his goal against us because he couldn't think of a way to adequately express how he felt without receiving an FA ban.

But seriously, who cares? He isn't normally an exuberant 'show off' celebrator of goals. Obviously no news at all day in Norwich and they needed to sell a couple of newspaper column centimetres.

Lols at McNally. You big hairy dog's cock.

I'm hoping we sign a better quality (and younger) player than Hoolahan for that position in the summer - I do quite rate Hoolahan and thought he'd have been a decent addition this January, with his ability and experience.

In the Summer Window though, we need to be looking at better players but still wouldn't mind WH if part of squad rotation.

As a stop gap this season that could add a bit of attacking flair in the final third?

Sure.

As a 33 year old signing a longer term contract?

No thanks. Too old. No resale value.

His age gets older with every page.

He's 31 now. If (IF) he signs in the summer he'd be 32.

He's 32 years old by the time the next season kicks off and even though he might still manage for a couple of years, it's at this age injuries start to take it toll. I would be all for it if we could have signed someone like Tomas Rosicky (who's 34 next season!) who still plays like he is 24, but let's face it, Wes Hoolahan isn't a very good player and there is a reason why he isn't playing for Norwich. I often wonder why certain players aren't playing for clubs like City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal, but clubs like Norwich can't afford to bench their best players for no reason. It's the same with us, we can bench Weimann and Benteke for a few games to rest, but you know they will always play when they are fit.

Hoolahan? No thanks, there's got to be other options in the market who are both better and younger. If not, our scouts need to be sacked ;)

Talks about injuries and age, then mentions signing Tomas Rosicky.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Squad player next year will be fine IMO. I'd be happy with that.

I think he's a clearing in the woods for not celebrating though. What a slap in the face to all Norwich fans who have cheered and supported him throughout his time there.

I think the Hoolahan lack of celebration was more to do with him feeling pissed off with how he's been treated rightly or wrongly by Norwich.

As of next season, I wouldn't mind him with a 2 year deal...apparently he's on less than £20k a week so wouldn't stretch us at all. Decent squad player...we're weak in that department.

Edited by Oaks

He's 32 years old by the time the next season kicks off and even though he might still manage for a couple of years, it's at this age injuries start to take it toll. I would be all for it if we could have signed someone like Tomas Rosicky (who's 34 next season!) who still plays like he is 24, but let's face it, Wes Hoolahan isn't a very good player and there is a reason why he isn't playing for Norwich. I often wonder why certain players aren't playing for clubs like City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal, but clubs like Norwich can't afford to bench their best players for no reason. It's the same with us, we can bench Weimann and Benteke for a few games to rest, but you know they will always play when they are fit.

Hoolahan? No thanks, there's got to be other options in the market who are both better and younger. If not, our scouts need to be sacked ;)

Rosicky is a good example that age doesn't mean much. Wenger just resigned him on a long term deal and Rosicky has not been injured this season. He has already made 27 appearances for Arsenal. He was rested a few times but he proves that age doesn't really matter. If we can get Hoolahan for cheap, then why not? He could be used as an impact sub or an occasional starter. 

Rosicky is a good example that age doesn't mean much. Wenger just resigned him on a long term deal and Rosicky has not been injured this season. He has already made 27 appearances for Arsenal. He was rested a few times but he proves that age doesn't really matter. If we can get Hoolahan for cheap, then why not? He could be used as an impact sub or an occasional starter.

Yeah in fairness Rosicky probably has the legs of a 29 year old he has been injured that much.

Wenger just resigned him on a long term deal

I thought arsenal only gave 1 year contracts to players over 30? I doubt Rosicky got more than a season extension on his deal

Wenger just resigned him on a long term deal

I thought arsenal only gave 1 year contracts to players over 30? I doubt Rosicky got more than a season extension on his deal

Probably he's 33 now!

Â